Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2004, 05:37 PM   #1
nechesh

Default Movies and Edged Weapons Pt. 2

Well, i think it's time to start transferring some favorite and on going threads to the new system. Here's the old thread for reference: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum.../002285-2.html
One of our Filippino friends mentioned that he would like to see a rousing epic of the Moros battle with the Spanish. I must agree that this would make a great film, given the right script and direction.
I would personally like to see someone do something about the Balinese Puputans. This could be a glorious period piece filled with deep meaning and purpose, colonial exploitation, exotic color, great battles, tragedy and best of all.....beautiful keris! Can't image what they've been waiting for with this one.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question So

Who knows anything about the new Beowulf movie that is in the works ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Radu Transylvanicus

thanks for ,,zee kredit,, Nechesh ...
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 06:32 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Well, i think it's time to start transferring some favorite and on going threads to the new system. Here's the old thread for reference: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum.../002285-2.html
One of our Filippino friends mentioned that he would like to see a rousing epic of the Moros battle with the Spanish. I must agree that this would make a great film, given the right script and direction.
I would personally like to see someone do something about the Balinese Puputans. This could be a glorious period piece filled with deep meaning and purpose, colonial exploitation, exotic color, great battles, tragedy and best of all.....beautiful keris! Can't image what they've been waiting for with this one.
I'd vote for a really well done film of Jos. Conrad's THE RESCUE !
Have any read this story ?
Would make an amazing film .
Old 5th December 2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Adni Aljunied

Since my chilhood days, I've watched many of the late P.Ramlee's Malay movies with admiration and he is considered by many here as a true legend as an actor, director, singer, composer etc.
After growing up with more indepth knowledge of the kerises and more observant about them, I have noticed many of P.Ramlee's movies using the keris with some "sad" circumstances. Nothing at all bad about his movies, which are all evergreen and very well done, whether it's a traditional comedy or historically or folklore inclined. It's just that I feel a little "tingy" when I see a Malay warrior or even a king with his traditional Malay attire of the "tanjak" and "samping", but having a Javanese Ladrangan keris stuck to his waist. It can also go the other way too when the story is about a Javanese.

Times have changed, but sadly the movie makers are still making the same mistakes. One very recent moive called "Putri Gunung Ledang" which was quite hyped up while in the making cause it was the most expensive movie ever made in Malaysia to the tune of RM20 million! The cast was "extravagant" and the director has had experiences in Holywood, and I was made to "dream" of the movie to be one that will put right many previous lackluster productions. BUT, so sadly, it was'nt much of an inspiring movie at all. The title is Princess Mount Ophir, a princess who played a big role in the entire story of the more famous Malay warriors, Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat etc.with a very "bad" king at the time of the Malacca Sultanate. Hang Tuah's keris, and arguably the most famous Malay keris of all time, the Taming Sari, is so sadly depicted more like a cross between a Balinese and a Sumatran keris, although there are no records of how it looks like, any keris enthusiast would have laughed at it instantly!! A few of the story line are questionable, and most of the fighting scenes are relying more on mystical powers rather than the art of Silat self defense. All in all, it was a huge letdown, esp. with the 20 million tag.
The late P.Ramlee's movie about Hang Tuah and the same legendary stories have more concrete story lines and stronger impact on viewers, me inlcuded. This 20 million movie is more of a love story that is more in line with Bollywood story lines, and the only compliment i can give is the attire, which just like Bollywood is "imaculous".
Worst part is that i hear this movie will be involved in, or is already a candidate for an award in the comming Cannes film festival.
For those of you curious enough, the link below has a very accurate story and pictures from P.Ramlee's films of the good old days.
http://sg.wrs.yahoo.com/SIG=120srqcq...%2Fmelaka3.htm
And the picutre attached is the 20 million movie, which is on sale, easily available and very cheap!
Attached Images

Adni Aljunied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 09:35 AM   #6
Kamil

A thing wortrh of seeing - "The Pharaoh" - one of the best movies on Ancient Egypt ever done (and I know what I say, as Egyptology is my job). It is Polish movie from 1965 (Oscar nominee of 1967), available on DVD and VHS. A lot of Egyptian weapons, battle scenes etc. The action is fictitious, but the scenography has been prepared by Egyptologists.
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

And don't forget "The Legend of Suriyothai" with lots and lots of dha! (mentioned in an earlier thread).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2004, 08:53 AM   #8
zamboanga

Default Double vision (horror movie from taiwan)

check out the temple scene. brutal showdown of bladed weapons vs. firearms.
Attached Images

zamboanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
And don't forget "The Legend of Suriyothai" with lots and lots of dha! (mentioned in an earlier thread).
Just saw this movie. It has become one of my all-time favorites. For those who have not seen it, I highly recommend. Press relaease below.

Chatrichalerm Yukol's The Legend of Suriyothai (2001), produced by Francis Ford Coppola.

When a movie is clearly intended as its country's national epic, it carries interest for more than its entertainment value or artistry. The Legend of Suriyothai, the highest-grossing film in the history of Thailand, was directed and co-written by a prince of the royal Thai family (Chatri Chalerm Yukol). It was also lavishly funded by the queen of Thailand, based on a famous historical tale of intrigue, romance and war among Thai royals in the 16th century. And it was shot on the original locations with a cast that included dozens of speaking parts, 3,500 extras and 160 elephants. It's the equivalent of our Gone With the Wind, Russia's War and Peace or, to take a more modest example, South Korea's Chunhyang. Sheer ambition and grandiose make the film interesting.

Beautifully designed and photographed, Legend of Suriyothai centers on brave Suriyothai, Thai's national royal heroine (played by M.L. Piyapas Bhirombhakdi). In the course of the film's tale, Suriyothai sacrifices herself again and again for her beloved Thailand. First, in youth, she abandons her passionate lifelong love for handsome soldier Pirenthorathep, or "Piren" for short (played by Chatchai Plengpanich), and instead marries the monkish Prince Thienracha, or "Tien" (Sarunyoo Wongkrchang). Tien and Suriyothai lead a sumptuous but unexciting life, raising children and posing before royal gardens, as Thailand is plunged into both civil and external war - often with its incredibly obstreperous neighbor, Burma.

Then, however, the country falls into the scheming hands of beautiful but evil ex-courtesan Srisudachan (Mai Charoenpura), who poisons her lover, King Chairacha (Pongpat Wachirabunjong), and installs yet another lover, perfidious Lord Warawongsa (Johnny Anfone) from the House of U-Thong, in his place - temporarily ending the reign of the Phra Ruang dynasty, to which Suriyothai, Tien and Piren all belong. Fearlessly, Suriyothai and gallant warrior Piren strike back, settling Srisudachan's hash, retiring the U-Thong gang and bringing back Tien from the monastery. But just as the heroes try to calm things down a little, the pugnacious king of Burma comes roaring across the border again with his army and his elephants, setting the stage for one last incredible Suriyothai sacrifice.

Obviously, they love this stuff in Thailand. And you can see why. Suriyothai is Scarlett O'Hara, Queen Elizabeth, Jackie Kennedy and Wonder Woman rolled up in one.

As it is, the movie's luscious design and rich cinematography make it worth watching - though you'd be well advised to study a synopsis (like this one) carefully before trying to watch it. It is possible to have a good time seeing Suriyothai's legend, even if you can't spell her name. ? Michael Wilmington, CHICAGO TRIBUNE"

And a big thanks for Jose "The DHA" for bringing it to my attention!
Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 08:19 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

You're quite welcome Naga Basuki. It has become one of my favorite movies and the main character is in the royal court herself, never acted before and did a superb job. Glad someone else has had a chance to appreciate it.

Also congratulations on your recent PI eBay acquistions (envy, envy, grumble, grumble.....).
Old 3rd September 2005, 12:13 AM   #11
Aurangzeb

Default SAHARA

Hello All!

When I saw the movie 'Sahara' I was shocked to see a Yemeni Jambiya wielded by one of the arabs. The dagger was a almost exact twin to my jambiya even down to approx. length and hilt materials and shape including the orange color hilt with two silver studs!

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=jambiya

Mark...
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 12:27 AM   #12
Spunjer

Default ...for the dhafias

...just got done watching "Ong Bak Thai Warrior" and had some dhas on the side...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 04:57 PM   #13
Aurangzeb

Hello All!

Another great movie is 'Khartoum', it is about the Mahdist revolt at the end of the 19th. century. There are a lot of kaskaras. Even a scene with a few koummyas and one Yemeni Jambiya. One of the best movies I have seen.

Mark...
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:20 AM   #14
Renegade Conquistador

Location: The Blood-Stained Sacrificial Pyramid of the Aztecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Indeed, the fierce struggle between the Spanish general Sebastian Hurtado de Corcuera (with his combined force of Spanish regulars and Visayan mercs), and the Moros under Sultan Kudarat, could make a great story.
Renegade Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:58 AM   #15
Spunjer

now, THAT would be epic...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 04:32 AM   #16
Battara
EAAF Staff

Spunjer I agree, and it would be legendary too.
Old 22nd October 2005, 05:25 PM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Ahhh , if wishes were fishes ......... <sigh>

I'm still waiting for the Hollywood clowns to release Farewell To The King on DVD .
Old 22nd October 2005, 06:50 PM   #18
nechesh

Well Rick, if only you were a Brit. Seems Farwell to the King is available in PAL format DVD. There is a claim at this amazon link that the U.S. version will be available soon, but there must be some error because they claim the date will be sometime in 1969, 20 yrs. before the movie was even made.

Sorry, that link didn't seem to work so i took it out. Just go to amazon.com and go to the DVD section and enter the title.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 04:37 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Ahhh , if wishes were fishes ......... <sigh>

I'm still waiting for the Hollywood clowns to release Farewell To The King on DVD .
Hey Rick, i'm watching this right now on the THIS movie network on regular TV. Great flick with lots of mandaus.
Apparently a region 1 edition is available on amazon for about 12 bucks.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 02:15 AM   #20
Bill M

How about "Real Glory?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031842/

Moro, kampilan, Barong, Kris, Krag.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 05:41 PM   #21
Yannis

I saw "300" just few days ago and as a Greek allow me to say few things

1. It is not the first time, and I suppose it is not the last, that Hollywood makes its own "version" of history and mythology. I am glad that, at least this one, it had no "happy end" as usual, against the known facts.

2. There are plus and minus in the film accuracy. For example, there was no pro Persian conspiracy and traitors for gold inside the city. Spartan culture had no value for gold, even their coins were very heavy iron ones.

3. There are a lot of mistakes on battle. Spartans superiority was not the kung fu style of the movie, but the strong chain of heavy armored warriors (phalanx), unusual or unknown at the time, were one covers with his shield the next in the chain. This tactic with "othismos" (push against the enemy) could break big armies of lone wolfs. This tactic was used and developed further later by Alexander and Romans.

4. Of course they were not naked on battle, but... Generally in Greek armies they were some naked soldiers named "psili" or "gymnites" (same root with word Gymnasium, were athletes were naked).

5. Spartans were naked only before the battle, to wash themselves and fix their hair. They wanted to fight in a celebration

6. Spartan women, against the belief, were possibly the most free women of the era. They had their own property, they had speech on public matters and they had a lot of sports, like javelin and wrestling. If they had too, they could fight in battles and actually they had win, without their men, Pyros, the mighty king of Epirus, who came to conquer Sparta a time where men where in other war!

7. The phrase "Then we shall fight in the shade" is not Hollywood script. It is supposed said by Diinekis as Herodotus wrote.

Etc. etc. We were not there, the history was written by Greeks (but not all of them loved Spartans) etc etc

The real thing is that this battle, and few more after that, gave to this world something important: The chance to Athenians to build their culture (theatre, drama, history etc) and Democracy so, at least, we have a name for our modern political systems

I have a sympathy for Persians, who also gave too much to the world, but I dont personally like pyramid style empires. And of course Xerxes (the great) was not this kind of freak that the movie shows.

more about the battle in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Last edited by Yannis; 31st August 2007 at 05:52 PM.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 11:13 PM   #22
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
How about "Real Glory?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031842/

Moro, kampilan, Barong, Kris, Krag.
Love this movie .
Of course the U.S. imperialistic slant to everything is obvious; still it is the only movie that I am aware of thar covers any aspect of the Moro Wars.

Lots of Hollywood legends in this flick.

I believe it may still be found in VHS format.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:45 AM   #23
CharlesS

Great old movie, and is still on VHS.

Surprising attention to detail in Moro weapons, though not 100% of the time....so much so that I think many real kampillan and barong may actually be props.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 01:27 AM   #24
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Oh God,
Let's not go there; if that's the case just think about the leftover props from Zulu .
Old 3rd September 2007, 01:54 AM   #25
Bill M

The barongs, kris and kampilans did look authentic. There was one VERY shiny kris.

But the "Datu" was a Russian actor and carried a Balinese keris. The leader of the Moro was a Japanese actor. He did have a big honking kampilan.

But I think they pulled it off rather well. Really liked the movie.
Old 21st September 2007, 02:47 PM   #26
Bill M

Default Apocalypto!

OMG! Could not stop watching! Gripping, intense deep, disturbing images. Anne and I LOVED it.

Wonderful weapons, knives, spears, bone armor on several warriors. Shoulder armor/decorations made from human jawbones But, historically maybe not great (better than 300, historically speaking).

The people are supposed to be Mayan. My subtitles all show "Speaking Mayan" and the an English translation. Turn on the subtitles!

However it is my understanding that the Mayans were not so bloodthirsty. The Toltec were worse and as Barry said in another thread, it was the Aztecs who met the Spaniards, not the Mayans or Toltec's.

Artistic Movie License, possibly. Also I guess it could have been some later spanish guys.

Whatever, the movie is immensely worth watching! I would be careful with children and otherwise faint of heart. Not only is it violent and bloody, but as fast-paced as any episode of "24."

A continual out-of-the-frying-pan-and-into-the-fire pace. Just when you think "Jaguar Paw" (the movie's Jack Bauer in a loin cloth) has gotten away, here come the bad guys ---- again.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=Apocalypto
Old 7th October 2007, 05:47 PM   #27
Bill M

Default Rashomon

Just finished Rashomon again. Anyone want to comment on the Chinese jian Toshiro Mifune wielded? Could it have been a ken?

Nice Tanto the woman had.

GREAT MOVIE! Surprised no-one has mentioned it here before. I did a search, but could not find any references that it has been mentioned here.
Old 7th October 2007, 08:59 PM   #28
ariel

It is a Ken.
I last saw it many years ago and read Akutagawa's stories at about the same time, but somehow I recall that the bandit lures the samurai deep into the forest to show and sell him Korean-style weapons from a tomb. Well, the Hyunday was a lemon
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
How about the "Samurai" trilogy, also with Mifune?
And, of course, the Polish trilogy: Deluge, By Fire and Sword and Pan Volodyewsky?
And, again, if you want to see swords, yataghans and kilijes galore, find an old Russian movie " The Sword and the Dragon" ( Real title was "Ilya Muromets"). Kievan Rus against the Tatars.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote