Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
archer

Default Tempering/Quench lines

A while back Alex mentioned a blanched area on a blade caused by quenching. What causes black or darkened quench lines? While we're at it note that the third blade shows a V chevron pointing towards the blade tip. The two upper blades show the first quench line dark and pointing toward the hilts then each show two more quenches with the V changing directions. What is that all about besides I have to much time on my hands. lighting was bad but i think you'll see what I mean.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 03:01 AM   #2
G. McCormack

Steel is made up of crystals, and its crystal microstructure is dependent on things like how it was worked, and what temperatures it was heated up to and cooled down from- and at what rates.
When a bladesmith quenches a carbon containing steel blade from above a specific temperature into oil or water, certain microstructures are formed. Different microstructures form because of a number of factors, including the amount of carbon, the temperature before quenching, and the rate of cooling.
These different microstructures look different when etched, and that is the reason parts of your blades are darker than others.
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 06:29 AM   #3
archer

Default Responce

Since the top two blades are probably from the same general area.
I can see I was comparing apples and pears. Your explanation, makes sense to Me. now that i can step back and see why the different effects occurred. Thanks you,
Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 05:50 AM   #4
G. McCormack

nice looking blades, btw! ;-)
G. McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 06:00 AM   #5
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
A while back Alex mentioned a blanched area on a blade caused by quenching. What causes black or darkened quench lines? While we're at it note that the third blade shows a V chevron pointing towards the blade tip. The two upper blades show the first quench line dark and pointing toward the hilts then each show two more quenches with the V changing directions. What is that all about besides I have to much time on my hands. lighting was bad but i think you'll see what I mean.

Thanks, Steve
it is differential hardening,
the tips on the first two are both harder than the blade area and then again softer at the hilt.

the last knife seems to be only harder in the main part of the blade than the hilt.

it is interesting to see this obveously the arab who made them intended them to be used, id say most later ones would be all like the lower 3rd knife..
no doubt the top 2 were made at a time when these were used frequently as weapons..
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote