Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th January 2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Yannis

Question Keris and me

Keris lovers read this with causion, it may hurt your mental health.

Here is the story:

Few years ago when I started to collect swords I found a keris and I got it, mainly because I liked the strange wood of the scabbard and I still do.

For years now I read sporadic in this forum posts about keris but I gave no special attention to them, as my interests turn to other part of world.

Few days ago, as I was walking in a small street of Athens, I saw a keris in a little shop. I went in and my first question was "do you have any other swords?". Seller said no, so I ask to hold the keris, that from far it was looking too fancy to be old.

When I hold it I felt it was a fair construction of some age, but still I was not interesting, mostly because I prefer to spend my money to other kind of swords. Also Athens antique shops are not cheap.

Blade was totaly black and seath cover was looking silver but I was not sure at the time.

As I turned it the other side I saw a tag for a ridiculus low price! So I couldnt regist to take it. It could be a present to friend. I even bargain and made the price low as a McDonald meal!

Back home I tested the cover of the scabbard and it was silver. I eched the blade with my favorite vinegar (I hope this is not a crime for the purists) and voila! Pamor (?) is here. The ganja (?) thing had glue (!) and I cleaned it.

Now I have 2 keris and I dont need both of them. But I cant decide witch of them will go. I like them both. Do you think that loving keris is a kind of contagious disease????
Attached Images

Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 01:11 PM   #2
vinny

Hi

I am no expert, I only have 1 Keris, (I also have a rencong, which I hope to get repaired).

I think the wavey ones, although more well known, are not as common as the straight one, and yours looks to have 9 loks, which mine does too.

I have a preference for the wavy ones.

Anyway. Excellent bargain!

Regards
Vinny
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 01:29 PM   #3
BluErf

Talking

Keep them both! And maybe you should start looking out for a 3rd friend for these 2 kerises... Yes keris-collecting is contagious. One keris may drive you to buy the next... and the next... and the next. To me, keris-collecting has become a near-obsession. Get out... erm... I mean get more kerises while you can.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
nechesh

Yep, it's a disease all right.
We all start with "just one". Now i've got 2 dozen and the funny thing is, i'm not really sure how it all happened. I think this blade might be newer than you think, probably 20thc, but certainly worth the price of a 'happy meal". Just for the record, it is 11 luks, not 9 and the dress appears Sumatran to me. The mendak (hit ring) is the wrong type, being from Jawa. If you start getting serious about keris (gestation times differ from patient to patient ) you may want to change that. Adni can probably help you there. When you start not thinking twice about spenting the price of a 7-course filet mignon dinner w/ drinks at the fanciest restaruant in town, you will know that you have probably reached a terminal stage.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Henk

Doktor, is there no cure at all ????
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Freddy

Wink

Sorry, Yannis. You are lost to the world. The end is not in sight. I also started with one keris, and now......

I hope for you that you never find (and buy) and African knife. Then you are really lost.

I know.....
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 08:26 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

As some of you know, I also own a keris, a single keris from Bali with an ivory hilt in the form of Ravana, nice pamor, and I am restoring it with gold mounts. Already have a silver sleeve which I will gold leaf in part. I must like this puppy because I am putting a lot of money in the gold materials. Has taken me years to get this far and I'm still not done. This disease is awful. All of the other keris I want are way out of my price range. . *Sigh*........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 01:05 AM   #8
nechesh

Hey Jose, i recall the hilt quite well, but i'm not sure i ever remember seeing the blade. Is there an old thread that shows it or are you willing to share now? I'd like to see this vampire keris that's sucking your resources dry.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Alam Shah

Hi, I'm infected.

Vinny,
I'm no expert, too. I've got a few kerises, a rencong and a kujang.
I'm still learning, and the more I learn and see the quality pieces, the more I want to own more, including some way off my budget.

As they say in latin, "Potest Qui Vult". If there's a will, there's a way.
Battara,
I think I'm heading your way.... Thinking of enhancing my piece, too.

Last edited by prime; 26th January 2005 at 02:19 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 10:37 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hey David. Here is a detail of the keris blade. I may have to send a pic of the dapor to Lee for resizing.
Attached Images

Old 26th January 2005, 08:41 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Lee was gracious to resize this picture of the blade for me (thanks Lee ):
Attached Images