Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Ian Knight

Default Shipping a musket

I wondered if anyone could offer me some advice. I have seen an antique British musket for sale in an antique shop in the South of France. I would like to purchase the musket and ship it to the U.K. but I can't find a carrier who is prepared to ship such an item. Would anyone have any idea how I could get the musket shipped to my home apart from driving down there and collecting it myself? I also suspect that EasyJet won't allow me to bring the item back in the hold.
Ian
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 07:38 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Ian,
Does it weigh over two kilos (4,4 pounds)? Not probably.
Within the Schengen space, you don't have to declare what's inside the parcel.
So what should be done is tell the other side not to plug in the complicometer and simply post the object by ordinary airmail.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Ian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Ian,
Does it weigh over two kilos (4,4 pounds)? Not probably.
Within the Schengen space, you don't have to declare what's inside the parcel.
So what should be done is tell the other side not to plug in the complicometer and simply post the object by ordinary airmail.
Fernando
Hello Fernando,
It will weigh about 5 kilos.
The guy who is selling the musket won't ship it because it is a prohibited item. For the sake of having it insured properly I would prefer to declare what is in the package in case I have to make a claim.
I have found one English antique shipping company who is prepared to carry the musket but they want to charge me over £300.
Ian
Old 15th April 2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Henk

In that case one possibility is left. Take the ferry early in the morning, collect the musket, have a good lunch in France, take the ferry back to England and drive home with your new addition. That won't cost you £ 300.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 09:41 PM   #5
fernando

Allright, two kilos could be a light weight, but i reckon five kilos is rather heavy.
OTOH, when you mention an antique musket, i take it that it is a flintlock or percussion musket of mid XIX century.
I notice they place these items under 8th category, for which buying and detention are free.
But i understand these things are complex, and will not, by any means, deny what the seller is telling you.
Fernando
Old 15th April 2010, 09:43 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
In that case one possibility is left. Take the ferry early in the morning, collect the musket, have a good lunch in France, take the ferry back to England and drive home with your new addition. That won't cost you £ 300.
South of France is quite distant from Britain; unless the seller brings up to the north coast .
Fernando
Old 16th April 2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Ian Knight

Quote:
Allright, two kilos could be a light weight, but i reckon five kilos is rather heavy.
OTOH, when you mention an antique musket, i take it that it is a flintlock or percussion musket of mid XIX century.
I notice they place these items under 8th category, for which buying and detention are free.
But i understand these things are complex, and will not, by any means, deny what the seller is telling you.
Fernando
Hello Fernando,
The musket in question is a British Brown Bess. The weight of the musket alone without any packaging is 11 lbs. I have contacted various French shipping companies and carriers and they just won't ship this item.
Ian
Old 16th April 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Henk

In that case you have to make it a little bit more expensive. Take the Mrs. with you and make a little trip of it. Aahh, look what i found on our cosy trip an antique musket!! What a lucky coincidence .

You can beat two flies in one strike. You bring the musket legally in the house and the Mrs. has no reasons to inspect your walls finding out what on earth is new here
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Ian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Hello Henk,
Thanks for the suggestion but it would cost far more than £300 to take my car on a ferry and drive down to Nice and back. It is a round trip of nearly 2000 kilometers.
Ian
Old 16th April 2010, 06:59 PM   #10
fernando

Can't you have the seller sending it in a package up to the coast, you having only to cross the channel and pick it up ?
Or are there also restrictions for internal transportation ... in France, i mean?
Fernando
Old 16th April 2010, 08:58 PM   #11
celtan

Ask the seller if they have anyone in Calais/Dunquerque, Le Havre, or Brest/Roscoff, pick it yourself from there.

You can also send it in two or three shipments. The wood shoulderstock and frame on one, the lock and brass fittings in another, and the barrel in a third.

BBs are relatively easy to disassemble. In the worst case, send the musket in two parts, the lock in one, the rest in another. It's no longer a weapon.

BTW, make sure it's unloaded. I have heard of wallpieces, hanging for 2 centuries. that have gone off when played with. Also, have the musket cleaned with gunsolvent, BP makes sentry dogs go nuts at airports and other entrance points...

Best

M

Quote:
Can't you have the seller sending it in a package up to the coast, you having only to cross the channel and pick it up ?
Or are there also restrictions for internal transportation ... in France, i mean?
Fernando
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Atlantia

I've had some pretty strange stuff sent to me from abroad by DHL?
Are there peculiar regulations in France concerning antique firearms?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Ian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
I've had some pretty strange stuff sent to me from abroad by DHL?
Are there peculiar regulations in France concerning antique firearms?
I am really in the hands of the antique dealer. He says he can't ship the item because it is on the prohibited item list. I have also contacted carrriers and they say the same thing.
I might have to incorporate a holiday in Nice to buy the musket, remove the lock and post the stock and barrel myself. I can then pack the lock in my suitcase.
Two photos of the troublesome musket.
Ian
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2010, 12:25 PM   #14
fernando

It might prohibited in transportation means; carriers may have their rules.
Definitely it is free to buy and possess in France (Category 8th).
I guess the big obstacle is the weight, that brings it up to a 'gross goods' status, carriers having to manifest the cargo and things like that.
If its weight were a lighter one, together with the Common Market goods free trafic law, problems would not arise.
I have sent and received several firearms and edged weapons and never had a problem. Just think you don't have to declare what's inside an airmail packet, as also it doesn't go through customs inspection.
What a pity.
Fernando
Old 18th April 2010, 08:26 PM   #15
celtan

It is a thing of beauty. I'm downright envious.

You shouldn't have a problem with British customs. It is a 2 centuries old antique, which _as far as you know_, is not shootable anymore. Heck, you can even remove the upper jaw and screw from the hammer!.

As long as you pay proper excise tax, you should be able to bring it "home".

BTW, how much did you pay for it?

Best

M

Quote:
It might prohibited in transportation means; carriers may
have their rules.
Definitely it is free to buy and possess in France (Category 8th).
I guess the big obstacle is the weight, that brings it up to a 'gross goods' status, carriers having to manifest the cargo and things like that.
If its weight were a lighter one, together with the Common Market goods free trafic law, problems would not arise.
I have sent and received several firearms and edged weapons and never had a problem. Just think you don't have to declare what's inside an airmail packet, as also it doesn't go through customs inspection.
What a pity.
Fernando
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote