Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 14th October 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Neka Museum's Kerises

One of the favorite keris in Neka's Keris Museum at Sanggingan, Ubud, Gianyar Bali (more or less 40 km from Kuta) is this Keris Tantri, named "Singa Lembu", a heritage keris from Kerajaan (kingdom) of Gelgel, Klungkung, XV century. It was sold by the heir of Klungkung to a family, Wayan Ringin and Ni Nyoman Tinggen, a keris collector from Sampalan village, Klungkung). Then, two more owner, before owned by Pande Wayan Sutedja Neka (picture) -- the owner of Neka's Art Museum...
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
henri

Hi Ganja ,
Was with Neka last week during my visit and he looks like a bit older than the photo ! You are right it is a very nice keris and Neka is always happy to promote his museum .
Photos below are his son who manage a quick demo to a tourist group last week .
This museum gives me always a strange feeling when you walk around ....
Neka told me : " you can t imagine what happen sometimes during the night into this room ! " Impossible to get more !!!
Attached Images

henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Here is a link to a virtual tour of the Neka Museum.

I believe I made this available a couple of years ago, but I cannot find it by searching.

I am aware that our moderators dislike links, but the quantity of material that this link provides access to is too great to permit upload to this site.

http://kerisattosanaji.com/NEKAMUSEUMPAGE1.html
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Thank you Alan; it is nice after a hectic week to go to the museum and lose oneself in the beauty and peacefulness of the exhibits ......

Even if it's from the other side of the world and online .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Marcokeris

Mr. Maisey Thanks a lot for nice pics.
Next week i'll try to go to museum to search the book about the subject. (have some friend news about english version?)
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 01:32 AM   #6
henri

Book unfortunately not yet available in English .
Old 15th October 2011, 02:18 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I was there a few weeks back, and asked about the supposed English version, I had a bit of a yarn with several people there and all I got was that yes, there was an English version proposed. But that's what I was told more than 12 months ago.

I'd like to see an English version, but in all honesty it will be no great loss if it doesn't eventuate, because the greatness of this book is in the incredible photos. When the text is analysed its pretty empty, and in my opinion a bit of a lost opportunity --- lots of high sounding words, but very little substance. But the pics are great.

This could well be a sign of my advancing years, but I am really getting fed up with the re-hashes and poorly written text that is going into keris books lately. For years we had almost nothing in the way of keris books, but there has been a plethora of books on keris published in recent years. Regrettably its all re-hashes. No new research, no understanding, no brilliant flashes of insight. Just potboiling text to keep increasingly beautiful photos company.

There's more in print on keris now than ever there was, but does anybody know any more? I doubt it.

Like I said:- I've been around too long. Buy every book you find on keris --- maybe what you miss in one, you'll pick up on in the next.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 03:10 AM   #8
ganjawulung

The foto of Pak Neka above, I made it on 2008. He specially opened the keris case for me to be able to take fotos of some of his best collections. Yes, I've been there some couple of times -- last time was last years, when I was invited for his book launching at his one hectare gallery site. And met him couple of times too, in different occasions in Solo, or Jakarta.

The image of keris below is one of his favorite too, a 5 luks keris of dhapur "Singa Barong" (XVIII century), a balinese tangguh of keris, 44 cm long -- a heritage from Kerajaan Gianyar. Pak Neka got this beautiful keris from a prominent Bali keris collector and balinese noble man, I Wayan Tika from Bangli...
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 15th October 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 15th October 2011, 06:26 PM   #9
ganjawulung

Default Keris Pijetan

Another interesting collection of Pande Wayan Sutedja Neka, it is a tilamsari keris with pijetan (pejetan, or pinched blade), with pamor of "benda segada", 43 cm long. This keris, according to Neka's Museum, was written in inscription at Pura (Temple) Dadia Pande Pedukuhan Menang, Karangasem. According to a balinese lontara inscription. the keris was made by Mpu Geni or Mpu Sandang Jiwa in XIII century. Once owned by Jro Nuratni from Puri Agung Madangan, Gianyar. In 1995, it was aqcuired by a bangli nobleman I Wayan Tika, then 2007 acquired by Wayan Sutedja Neka...
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 15th October 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Marcokeris

Thanks Jimmi for nice. Pics
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 03:01 AM   #11
ganjawulung

You're welcome, Marco. And this is more close up picture on the gandhik of this Keris Pijetan. According to Pak Neka, it is the oldest keris of his Museum collection... (I hope you'll enjoy your trip to Bali this week, Marco).
Attached Images

Old 16th October 2011, 11:30 AM   #12
ganjawulung

@Henri, yes, Pak Neka now looks a bit older than this foto. Did you visit the other parts of Neka's Museum? Because, for about 25 years until 2005, Pak Neka and also the Senior Neka they are painting collectors. You could find some western painters' paintings such as: Arie Smit dan Rudolf Bonnet -- dutch painters who developped young balinese artists in modern painting. Also you may find some Indonesian painting masters' masterpieces such as Affandi. Neka's museum is also a good place of contemporary balinese painting documentation...

And now, this museum owns more than 312 paintings in two galleries, and more than 270 kerises in one gallery...
Old 17th October 2011, 12:50 AM   #13
henri

Yes , I know Ganja . My first Bali visit was 18 years ago and I always try to spend a time visiting all the museum and galleries around Ubud .
I personally bought some of these paintings and you are right : culture is around every corners .
You are promoting very well the museum . My only concern is that in nearly 10 years this place is changing from a " quiet and nice village " to a crowdy and noisy city .... like probably other virgin places I guess !
Old 17th October 2011, 06:56 AM   #14
ganjawulung

Agree with you, Henri. Ubud is now changing, from a very quiet village on 1970-s to a very crowded village. I remember, in 1978, I was walking around the quiet Ubud (now the streets are too busy in Ubud, and crowded), walking by foot around the center of Ubud....

This picture below, another Balinese heritage from Kerajaan Karangasem, 40 cm long pedang-keris (semi-sword keris) named Ki Bajurante, was made during Raja Karangasem Anak Agung Gde Putu from Puri Gede on XVII century. The late last Karangasem raja (king), AAA Angelurah Ketut Karangasem, gave this heritage privately to his son, Anak Agung Gde Rai Sutedja (1989). Then sold to Pande Wayang Tusan (1991) from Bebandem, Karangasem, before sold to Pande Wayan Sutedja Neka -- the owner of Neka's Museum on 2006 in a ceremony at Pura Penataran, Peliatan Ubud.

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images