Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd March 2023, 01:57 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Luzon bolo

Here is one I'm hoping to learn more about. Unfortunately, it had been badly mauled by a grinder but I managed to polish it out. Reviewing posts here the best I could come up with is central Luzon for location. The brass work is very heavy.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 04:55 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Jeff,

Very nice knife. We need our friend Xasterix to help with a definitive ID on this one. Xas has been studying Luzon swords closely for a while and has the advantage of being able to speak with local informants, which has greatly enhanced our knowledge of these blades.

While waiting for him to reply, I'll give this one a shot. Judging from the black leather sheath with a brass chape and collar, I think this one comes from Ilocos Sur or perhaps Pangasinan. This indicates it would be Ilokano in manufacture. That fits with the brass guard and brass ferrules on the horn hilt. I don't know the Ilokano term for the blade style. It's a fairly common pattern and found among various groups in Luzon, with names varying by group.

Tagalog knives of similar form are also found, but I'm suggesting an Ilokano origin based mainly on the sheath. The heavy brass fittings suggest to me that it was likely made pre-WWII.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:21 AM   #3
JeffS

Detail on peen and reverse of scabbard.
Attached Images

Old 23rd March 2023, 12:28 PM   #4
JeffS

Someone off-forum suggested it is likely Pampanga.
Old 23rd March 2023, 02:33 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Jeff,

The Province of Pampanga is immediately to the south of Pangasinan, and there are Ilokano craftsmen in Pampanga also. Is your informant saying that this is a Kapangan knife or an Ilokano knife made in Pampanga? This has been a matter of some debate among Filipino knife enthusiasts in regard to several blade styles. It depends who you talk to. The manner of peining the tang is similar to some knives from Pampanga, but I have what I think are Ilokano knives with similar attachments too.

The black leather sheath with brass fittings, however, looks Ilokano to me and I think would be very unusual for Pampanga.

However, we are talking about fine details in terms of the origin of your knife. Ilokanos and Kapangans intermingle in Central Luzon, and that is the overall area from which this knife likely came.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 04:05 AM   #6
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Jeff,

The Province of Pampanga is immediately to the south of Pangasinan, and there are Ilokano craftsmen in Pampanga also. Is your informant saying that this is a Kapangan knife or an Ilokano knife made in Pampanga? This has been a matter of some debate among Filipino knife enthusiasts in regard to several blade styles. It depends who you talk to. The manner of peining the tang is similar to some knives from Pampanga, but I have what I think are Ilokano knives with similar attachments too.

The black leather sheath with brass fittings, however, looks Ilokano to me and I think would be very unusual for Pampanga.

However, we are talking about fine details in terms of the origin of your knife. Ilokanos and Kapangans intermingle in Central Luzon, and that is the overall area from which this knife likely came.
You're absolutely right regarding the interplay. I would think there's a good chance it's indeed pampanga because of the threaded+ peen combo. The scabbard is tricky, but the Apalit craftsmen have been known to copy scabbards from other areas.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote