Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th January 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default GUNONG on EBAY

This recently ended on eBay. The seller makes no claim of age and IDs the sheath and pommel material as buffalo bone. The metal fittings are not identified.
I am of the mind that in spite of the high craft and vintage look, that this is a relatively new gunong. This seller also sells a lot Moro kris which also have a vintage/antique look, but which i also suspect are coming out of a modern workshop. Do other agree with this assessment?
I do NOT want to name this seller (nor should others here) and this is not intended as an accusation of dishonesty. As i stated, he never presents his blades as antique even if they seem to have intentionally been given that appearance. But i am curious if anyone is familiar with modern workshops in the Philippines doing this type of work. Some time ago someone on this forum posted a large series of photos shot at a modern workshop in the Philippines doing high end work, but i have had no luck finding it in the archives.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote