Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 20th December 2014, 01:03 PM   #61
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum Corrado .
I am sorry that it takes someone with better knowledge (than me) to distinguish a Portuguese lock from a Spanish one. There are lots of similarities and often experts use the term "Portuguese (patilha) lock in the Castillian style".
You can also see this type of stock in both countries.
For some, the fixing of the parts with (plenty small) brass nails means Spain (Ripoll); but is also wide spread that, the position of the screw that fixes the barrel to the stock being in the inverted position, like in your example, means Portuguese.
We may also consider that having no marks or names tend to be Portuguese; Spanish examples were more often profusely marked.
It would be interesting to see a photo of the frizzen front face; is it plain or has any decoration ? Is the inner (striking) face removable ?
In any case this is a rather interesting pistol, Corrado; i wouldn't mind having it in my small collection
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 02:52 PM   #62
corrado26

Fernando, many thanks for your reply which confirms my impression that my pistol might possibly come from Portugal. As you can see the front of the frizzen is without any design but specially styled and its inner face is removable - on one of the fotos you can see the gap between frizzen and inner face.

Thank you very much for your help.
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 03:17 PM   #63
fernando

You are welcome, Corrado
The last word will be for who is able to define its precise origin ... if ever possible
Old 20th December 2014, 09:19 PM   #64
Fernando K

Hello everyone

Would have to consider the Italian origin. First, because the gun (barrel) is grooved (fluted) and decorated with engraving, uncommon in the canyons (barrel) Spanish or Portuguese.

Second, by the strange method of fixation of internal lamina of frizzen. In the Iberian weapons dovetail is vertical and here I noted that it is horizontal. Also, have you soldier ?. Also, the configuration of the Iberian Miqueletes your frizzen is square, and here is faceted .....

Affectionately. Fernando K.
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 05:20 PM   #65
corrado26

Default Miquelet pistol made in Naples

Just to show and invite comments some fotos of a nice pistol of my collection made by the Fabbrica Reale di Napoli.
corrado26
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2015, 06:24 PM   #66
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hello everyone

Would have to consider the Italian origin. First, because the gun (barrel) is grooved (fluted) and decorated with engraving, uncommon in the canyons (barrel) Spanish or Portuguese.

Second, by the strange method of fixation of internal lamina of frizzen. In the Iberian weapons dovetail is vertical and here I noted that it is horizontal. Also, have you soldier ?. Also, the configuration of the Iberian Miqueletes your frizzen is square, and here is faceted .....

Affectionately. Fernando K.
Points noted, Fernando. You sure know a lot more than us about these things.
Old 13th January 2015, 06:26 PM   #67
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
Just to show and invite comments some fotos of a nice pistol of my collection made by the Fabbrica Reale di Napoli.
corrado26
Very nice example Corrado. Is it marked Fabbrica Reale di Napoli, or is just an information ? Where are such marks placed?
Old 14th January 2015, 03:38 PM   #68
corrado26

The golden mark on the Barrel reads "R F DI NAP"
corrado26
Attached Images

Old 16th January 2015, 03:39 PM   #69
Fernando K

all

It is noteworthy that the ignition system known as miquelete is common to all Mediterranean countries such as Spain, Portugal, Italy, and others, and was produced as a copy, with small variations according to each country of origin. Thus, for example, in Spain we find lock "the Roman" and in Italy, the miguelete classic. The lock "the morlaca" or "the Mojaca" was produced in Brescia for export to the countries of the East (although copied by local dealers).

Do not forget that southern Italy was under the influence of Spain

Affectionately. Fernando K

(Sorry for the translator)
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote