Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Golok for ID.

Many of you will know I am not really a collector of se Asian work but I do have a few pieces.I got this in a swap.It is not terribly old but has seen real use.I should think it has come from the UK's secret war with Indonesia in Borneo, early 1960s.I do not Know?What should I do about the crack in the horn bit on the handle,learn to live with it?
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 7th April 2005 at 08:17 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tim:

My feeling is that if the handle is solid and secure, I would leave it. If the handle is loose, then I would repair it and remount using an an adhesive that would also serve as a filler, such as a black epoxy. Really depends on the state of the hilt and whether you think the crack is making it unstable.

Horn often cracks and is subject to being gnawed by insects, so some damage is common. I don't think this crack detracts much from the overall appearance, but others would no doubt differ.

Nice looking golok and scabbard.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 03:52 AM   #3
tom hyle

These horn and bone ferules weird me out a little bit; I don't think I understand them, though they are often nicely made. I'll lay an alternate philosophy on you concerning filling cracks, which is the crack is from shrinking/swelling/warping due to moisture exchange, mostly with the air, and when those conditions change again, it might want to move back, and not be able to because of filler, and this might even cause a new crack, that, being one of two, would weaken the piece much more greatly, and endanger the ferule of being lost. This is something a very expert wood carver laid on me one time, and it's worked its way into my mind like one of those bugs that Khan sticks in peoples' ears. Moisture exchange can be slowed with surface treatments; some might even amount to stoppage.....What of oiling material to swell it back to shape or something? This is a theory I've never much experimented with that might have some relevance; perhaps someone can tell us about it. Mine has a crack in its horn ferule, too, and it's also missing one, that I presume to have been bone, as it has a gap, the horn one, then a bone one, then actual (horn) handle surface currently. As a stop-gap to keep the ferule from rattling someone has put some little horn shims/wedges behind it.
Will you tell us about the suspension system on the sheath? Is that an iron staple?

Last edited by tom hyle; 8th April 2005 at 04:42 AM. Reason: details
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tom:

I have heard similar things about wood cracks. My father was an amateur wood worker and did a little cabinet making. He was a big fan of restoring old cracked furniture using copious amounts of a penetrating oil, such as teak oil, which made a difference in many cases depending on the wood and degree of damage.

The problem with horn, I understand, is that it is not nearly as "porous" as wood and so does not absorb moisture very well. It is basically made of layers of a protein (keratin) that is water repellant. Keratin is what our finger and toe nails are made from as well as our hair, and it is the protein that covers our skin and keeps water from being absorbed when we bathe. Without the outer layer of keratin in our skin we would absorb water like a sponge whenever we took a shower or went swimming.

I have had no success trying to rehydrate horn and close cracks with oil or water. If others have a formula for doing that I would really like to hear about it -- have several hilts that need such treatment.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

I think it is probbaly best left alone.Do you think it is from Borneo?Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote