Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2014, 09:34 AM   #1
KLUNGKLUNG

Default Unknown sarong for comment

Another unknown sheath with at first glance Djogja features. Purchases without a blade. The warangka looks like derived from a Gayaman ( unfortunantely cracked) but the sides have not been adapted and they show the same patination as all around. The carving (arrow) however is not a Djogja feature. Observing from aside the top level indicates it should carry a blade with ganja wilut. The belonging silver sheath shows a geometrical pattern which I have never seen before ( and slightly longer then a common Djogja pendok, about 1 cm). It is glued together with the crosspiece. What do we see here: an uncommon Djogja or a Pesisir sarong?
Attached Images

KLUNGKLUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 08:26 PM   #2
KLUNGKLUNG

No one has a clue or wants to give his opinion?
Maybe these extra pics will be helpful. It shows they are shaped as they are and not redone to make it 'exotic'...?!
Attached Images

KLUNGKLUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 09:21 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Klungkung, I've been involved with keris for about 60 years, my speciality is Javanese keris, and I have spent a considerable time in Jawa.

I have never seen a wrongko of this form.

Basically its form is Jogja gayam, but it has been heavily repaired, moreover, the areas of repair coincide with the areas where a Jogja wrongko is quite subject to damage.

You have shown good and clear angled photographs to demonstrate that you do not believe that it has been reshaped from a Jogja gayam, however, I do believe that it has been reshaped.

The reshaping of a wrongko is not only carried out by dealers, both inside and outside Jawa, but is also carried out by enthusiastic collectors. This was particularly so in the past, prior to the spread of knowledge that has occurred with the advent of the net.

In the 1950's and 1960's, many collectors who had damaged wrongkos or hilts on items in their collections, would re-carve and re-finish those dress items to present a pristine appearance. At that time most people with a keris interest did not really understand that keris dress should follow designated forms. I venture to say that prior to the 1950's this practice was also pretty widespread.

With keris, if one comes across something that does not fit one of the standard forms, one needs to look at it very, very hard, because it is probably not a genuine form originating from an indigenous society.

With the keris, it is very much less the concept of rarity that establishes its desirability, but rather its quality.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote