Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 5th April 2023, 06:21 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Spanish maker Dionysio Corrientes

In "The Lore of Arms", William Reid, 1976, Gothenburg, Sweden, p.124,
there is a line drawing of a sword, captioned as a hunting sword made in Toledo at the end of the 17thc. and by maker Corrientes.

In checking the Palomares panel of Toledo markings, indeed this maker is shown (#24), with a side note suggesting also Madrid.

I have been unable to find any further detail on Dionysio Corrientes as noted, and am hoping someone out there might have examples of other blades by this maker, or information on his period of work.

While this book is an intriguing reference, the fact this is a line drawing from unattributed source is of concern as to the classifying of this sword as a 'hunting sword' and of late 17th c.

If you look at the hilt, the grip has the distinctive 'hand nock' at the top as seen on the Moroccan 'nimcha' and seems to have filtered into other Spanish swords of 18th into 19th century. The scallop shell guard is also an affectation favored by the Spanish on the notable espada ancha swords of colonial New Spain in late 1700s into 1800s.

My thought is perhaps this blade is indeed by this maker of the period noted but used in the colonies as often the case later. Many of these swords did end up back in Spain via the trade rounds into these regions.
The two examples shown in pics are from Spanish colonies from 18th into 19th c. and the distinct notch in the hilt grip are seen.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 5th April 2023 at 06:37 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2023, 07:18 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default According to Don Enrique de Leguina

Dionysio Corrientes, Toledo, Madrid. Died 1733. He had his sword factory near San Francisco. Rodrigues del Canto describes him has having forged blades for short swords.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2023, 08:54 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Dionysio Corrientes, Toledo, Madrid. Died 1733. He had his sword factory near San Francisco. Rodrigues del Canto describes him has having forged blades for short swords.

Fernando,
Thank you so very much! I knew you would have this, exactly what I needed to estimate date of the sword in Reid. It does seem quite possible this was an actual blade by him rather than the often seen spurious inscriptions on many swords using famed Spanish names.
As Toledo was essentially defunct in 1733 (until 1760s) this would explain the notation he was in Madrid, much as with other Toledo makers removed to other cities such as Zaragoza.
Very much appreciated my friend,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote