Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2007, 05:00 PM   #1
HAM8T

Default Persian Khanjar Photos - I Need More Help

Hello Again,

Yesterday I posted photos of a blade which has been in our attic for years. Member Emanuel was kind enough to respond and inform me that what I have is a type of Persian khanjar. He indicated that the carvings on the blade and handle resemble those on Qajar period examples so it is most likely from the 18th or 19th century.

I asked about the whitish material that I can see in the hollow of the handle where the blade is inserted. He thinks it might be resin.

The reason I am posting a new thread is that I titled yesterday's entry as "Jambiya" and I thought the corrected title might catch someone's eye who has info on this type of blade.

I have attempted to research under "Persian khanjar" but have had no success in locating any photo close to my blade. The similarities I have found are the curved blade and the little roundish tip on the sheath. I could not find any with blades with the rippled or wavy edges.

As I said, this blade has been in our attic for decades....it has no sentimental value to me (either the prior homeowner was a collector and left it or it was something in a collection from my husband's father or grandfather, we are not sure). In any event, we need to clean out and I would like to offer the blade on E-Bay but I would like to be able to more accurately describe it.

Also, if anyone can give me an idea as to what it is worth, please send me a private message - any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Helen
Attached Images

HAM8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 05:21 PM   #2
ham

While of relatively good workmanship this dagger probably was not made before the late 1800s, and may date as late as the 1930s.
The term janbiyyah is not used in Iran, khanjar is correct.
The material which binds the blade into the grip is borax; bear in mind that hot water dissloves it.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote