Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 23rd February 2018, 11:22 AM   #31
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Well alexish, if you spend some time browsing on this subject here in the forum, you will see that such possibility has been often discussed. However results are inconclusive, as proven evidence has not been established.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 06:07 PM   #32
bvieira

Another one! comments are welcome.
Attached Images

bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 06:20 PM   #33
Philip

Interesting. Looks like a recycled European saber blade? I'm wondering about the hilt, especially the grip/pommel junction. Front end of grip is darkened and shows wear from age, whereas rear looks relatively fresh, and its flat-sawn end stands apart from the globosity of the pommel. The guard looks right to me and the way the ricasso of the blade has been trimmed to fit the arms descending from the écusson is appropriate to the European antecedents to these African weapons. I don't know enough about equatorial African arms to tell whether the grooved spherical pommel is culturally appropriate in form and manufacture, but hopefully another forumite familiar with this material can comment.

Thanks for posting this example.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 07:47 PM   #34
kronckew

I find the Mickey Mouse ear disks rather ugly. But that's just me. I fail to see a purpose for them as opposed to a more normal quillion design. Especially on a curved and probably single edged blade. As noted, the cylindrical grip looks like a mismatch to the pommel. A marriage not made in heaven.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 08:57 PM   #35
bvieira

Hello,

My opinion is that this sword is a composite sword, mounted in the 19th century, in Africa, with a much older "colhonas" guard, a european sabre blade and a locally made pomel and grip. Either the way this kind of guard is very rare and this one is rather well constructed and has interesting features like the crosses and a "6" number in the back.
bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote