Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 23rd August 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Sajen

Default kebokantong blade

Have bought this keris from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310421518597...84.m1439.l2649
I think it is a dapur kebokantong and have given a small bid because it is a rare dapur. Sadly I have only this pictures from the seller since until now I haven't received the keris until now. The sheath is badly broken.

Like usual are all comments very welcome.

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 02:28 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice keris Detlef. Sorry about the sheath. I have one of this dhapur as well and have heard it referred to in more than one place as Kebo Giri. Here are a couple of related links.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=73978
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=kebo+giri
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
dbhmgb

Good job Detlef - you have a great eye for the eBay deals. Keep us posted on this one.
dbhmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Nice keris Detlef. Sorry about the sheath. I have one of this dhapur as well and have heard it referred to in more than one place as Kebo Giri. Here are a couple of related links.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=73978
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=kebo+giri

Hello David,

by time I will find a matching sheath. Have a look at post # 14 from the first link you have posted, I think this you will have every time again, several names for the same thing. But equal how we name this dapur what I never have seen before by this form is the small "hook" at the gandik area in up. Would be interesting to know if someone other have seen this before.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 24th August 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhmgb
Good job Detlef - you have a great eye for the eBay deals. Keep us posted on this one.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the compliment but let us wait until I have the blade in hand, I am still unsure about the quality of the blade. Also when the pictures of good quality they are not very meaningful. But still hope that it is a decent blade.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 24th August 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Have a look at post # 14 from the first link you have posted, I think this you will have every time again, several names for the same thing. But equal how we name this dapur what I never have seen before by this form is the small "hook" at the gandik area in up. Would be interesting to know if someone other have seen this before.
Agreed about names and the name game in general. Just wanted to pass on the name i was familiar with. And i did indeed notice the "hook". Perhaps intended as a lembe-gajah. I don't have this feature on my example either.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Agreed about names and the name game in general. Just wanted to pass on the name i was familiar with. And i did indeed notice the "hook". Perhaps intended as a lembe-gajah. I don't have this feature on my example either.

Yes, you most probable correct since there is a second "hook" over the kembang kacang.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Sajen

Have recently found this sheath and have had in my storage this pendok. The sheath is blackened and need still some maintain but the wood seems to be nice. Still have to change the handle and mendak and the blade isn't stained until now.

What do you think, is this dress suitable for the blade?
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Sajen

Only want to share with you the pictures from the restored keris.
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Nicely restored Detlef. I do love this somewhat rare dhapur. You got a great price on it too.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Nicely restored Detlef. I do love this somewhat rare dhapur. You got a great price on it too.

Thank you David,

I have like you a fondness for kebo dapurs. I have looked long time for a blade like this.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 18th July 2013, 10:05 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Very nicely done Detlef.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Very nicely done Detlef.
Thank you Alan.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 14th December 2019, 06:17 AM   #14
Paul B.

Apropos Kebo kanthong: is there a relationship between the name and the particular blade? "Waterbuffalo" seems an odd name for it.

Can anyone tell if dapur Kebo slurung is the same? I came across it with the 'hook' halfway the blade (so generally spoken the same as KK) but the it looks like a modified 'hook' to me. It doesn't come out just a cut in the blade, suspect?
Attached Images

Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 01:54 AM   #15
David
Keris forum moderator

Paul, i photo of the entire blade would be helpful. But i see why you are suspicious and also suspect this might be an altered blade.
Old 16th December 2019, 02:15 AM   #16
A. G. Maisey

There are a number of keris wilah that contain the word "kebo"/"mahesa" (same meaning, different language levels), they are all deemed to be very well suited to all those who work in primary production, ie farming, husbandry, and even the occupations that flow directly from these ones.
Old 16th December 2019, 12:18 PM   #17
Paul B.

Okay that's an eyeopener. Couldn't see a relation literally speaking.
Here is another pic and label. This SLURUNG dapur name is unknown?
Attached Images

Old 16th December 2019, 04:33 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Paul, i had not heard of Kebo Slurung before, but when i did a search for it i found a number of examples of blades with an extra long gandik (even for the kebo keris in general), but no Kembang Kacang. I know this form as Kebo Giri, but i am aware that as with all things keris there are other names for this dhapur in different regions. But it does look like the keris you are showing here is mislabelled since it clear does have Kembang Kacang. I am still a little suspicious of that Kembang Kacang however. It isn't really possible for me to tell with this photographs, but it does appear to be a later addition. As you point out, the feature seems very contained within the blade and does not stick our any as on other examples i have seen. But also, in the other examples i know the Kembang Kacang area also has other raised features such as Lambe Gajah. Those features seem absent in your example, leading me to believe this to be an afterthought alteration.
Here is another example i have, an even rarer luk version that was names as Kebo Giri Luk Telu. Not the additional features around the Kembang Kacang, both Jalen and Lambe Gajah.
Attached Images

Old 16th December 2019, 08:12 PM   #19
A. G. Maisey

Paul, may I ask where this Kebo Slurung keris is located?

Do we know who named this keris?

Kebo Slurung/Salurung/Selurung is known, but it seems to be a non-standard form, for instance, Empu Djeno Harumbrojo gives Kebo Selurung quite a different form:-

http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/DHAPU...NGTODJENO.html

scroll down to P.5

I had not heard of Kebo Slurung until comparatively recently, I forget exactly when, but maybe 20 years back. I have never handled a keris that was named as Kebo Slurung. In Solo, when we encounter a keris with an unusually long, plain gandhik it is usually given as Dhapur Dhuwung.

It appears to be very prolific on the Net, but virtually unknown in the modern literature --- I have not yet had time to check old literature.

I do not know the word "slurung", nor its spelling variations, my go-to native speaker of Javanese, who is competent in several dialects, also does not know the word, I cannot find the word in Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese, Kawi, Classical Malay, Old Javanese nor Bahasa Indonesia. I think there is a gunung Slurung some where in East Jawa --- not sure of this, but I think I have heard of it.

I am beginning to wonder exactly where this dhapur name comes from. There is a word in Bahasa Indonesia, a common word, "saluran" which has several applications, it has the sense, or meaning of a gutter/duct/line/conduit/vein so if we consider the pipe-back on this kebo slurung, maybe we can see some sort of relationship, perhaps in some dialect "saluran" has become "salurung", "salurung" then becomes its known variations. This is all guesswork, but it seems to me to be a viable possibility.

If indeed "slurung" comes from "saluran" then this would seem to indicate that it might be a pretty recent name, because "saluran" is in Bahasa Indonesia, the word does not exist in Basa Jawa.

But maybe there is a dialect source.

There is a bit of background here to consider. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find dhapur slurung in any of the old texts that I have.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 16th December 2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:12 PM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Yes Alan, it does appear that what people are currently calling Kebo Slurung on the internet is what Djeno and others refer to as Dhapur Duwung/Dhuwung.
Old 17th December 2019, 06:34 AM   #21
Paul B.

Thanks gentlemen. The images come from an auctionhouse and I think it is just a mispelling and misinterpretation of Kebo selurung. Anyway quite suspect.
This is my personal KK with pronounced Kembang kacang (but somewhat blunt, worn ?).
Attached Images

Old 17th December 2019, 09:05 AM   #22
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Paul, may I ask where this Kebo Slurung keris is located?

Do we know who named this keris?
Alan,
This kris was part of the IFICAH funding sale at Czerny's auction N° 96.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2019, 10:29 AM   #23
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Jean.
Old 17th December 2019, 05:37 PM   #24
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Alan,
This kris was part of the IFICAH funding sale at Czerny's auction N° 96.
Regards
Those auction descriptions were chock full of errors.
Old 17th December 2019, 06:05 PM   #25
A. G. Maisey

Yep.