Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th January 2018, 08:18 AM   #1
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default bugis keris

various types of rare bugis keris variations
Attached Images
   
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Jean
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,126
Default

Hello La Pagaru,
Thank you for these pictures, do you know if these blades are old or recent?
The bottom blade has a pamor pattern looking like Ron Genduru but not finely made by Javanese srandards.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 06:09 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,602
Default

Interesting examples.
I don't think i would qualify the second example as Bugis. I do not see classic elements of Bugis construction or style in that one. What about this keris identifies this keris as Bugis for you. It also seems like a rather new creation that follows a more modern expression of artistic keris styles rather than adhering to any particular traditional "pakem".
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 06:22 PM   #4
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default dear david

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Interesting examples.
I don't think i would qualify the second example as Bugis. I do not see classic elements of Bugis construction or style in that one. What about this keris identifies this keris as Bugis for you. It also seems like a rather new creation that follows a more modern expression of artistic keris styles rather than adhering to any particular traditional "pakem".


how are you david,
that is kris bugis, many who do not know kris bugis, most people equate it with javanese kris, but many things that make it much different than javanese kris, as I described above, that many pakem' or ricikan kris bugis that many people do not know , especially those in europe, in bugis own land many variants of kris bugis that rarely published or even not shown to others because in bugis land still strongly believe in the mystical things that exist and is contained in a keris or other heirloom.
Perhaps friends here never heard of a kingdom named luwu kerajan that exist in the land bugis, the beginning of the establishment of kingdom luwu, coinciding with the birth of metallurgical culture, especially the use of iron for weapons heirlooms and so forth .. where one of the iron which is considered magical and most sought after is Luwu iron (Ussu iron).
there are several versions of it, such as .konon kris making or weapons in that era is a kind of guns berpamor, which one of them is Ussu iron from Luwu which contain lots of meteorite and nickel, so that Luwu iron (ussu) become material the main prestige of making in the manufacture of kris, in the book Encyclopedia Keris mentioned that the iron Luwu market known as Bessi Pamorro, until the year 1920 is still found in the market of Salatiga with perkilo price equivalent to 50 kg of rice

best regrads

LP

Last edited by La Pagaru : 6th January 2018 at 07:04 PM.
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 07:11 PM   #5
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default luwu iron

dear all
this is an example of a luwu iron sample from the bottom of the lake matano luwu sulawesi south (bugis land), in the shape of a sword, we deliberately cut it so we can examine the content contained therein, the sword is estimated to date from the 7th century AD.

The world’s largest nickel-mining complex is located in the southern of lake Matano, which has led speculation that bickellifeous iron ore from the Matano area was smelted to produce the famous Pamor Luwu used in Majapaahit Krisses”.


LP
Attached Images
   
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 08:44 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Pagaru
there are several versions of it, such as .konon kris making or weapons in that era is a kind of guns berpamor, which one of them is Ussu iron from Luwu which contain lots of meteorite and nickel, so that Luwu iron (ussu) become material the main prestige of making in the manufacture of kris, in the book Encyclopedia Keris mentioned that the iron Luwu market known as Bessi Pamorro, until the year 1920 is still found in the market of Salatiga with perkilo price equivalent to 50 kg of rice

Hi LP. Yes, i believe that many, if not most of us are aware of pamor Luwu and it's source from Sulawesi. It was a highly valued source of iron for a good period of time and does indeed seem to have been used in the forging of old Javanese keris. However, this is a material, not a forged and finished keris. Iron from Luwu was well known to have a relatively high nickel content but my understanding was that it was entirely terrestrial. Can you point to any references that maintain such ore also contained "lots of meteorite"?
I'm afraid i do not see a particularly old keris in your second example, but perhaps we need to see more images. Can you show us an image that shows this entire blade?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 10:35 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,906
Default

The iron deposits at Luwu are laterite ores.

In the 1980's my understanding is that there was a small commercial smelting operation going on at Luwu. I was told this by Panembahan Harjonegoro (alm.) who gave me a piece of this commercially refined nickel.

The current situation in Luwu can be understood by following these links:-

http://www.oxis.org/theses/misol-2103.pdf

https://www.reuters.com/article/ind...N0R42WI20140904

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKBN19P1Q5
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 07:02 PM   #8
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi LP. Yes, i believe that many, if not most of us are aware of pamor Luwu and it's source from Sulawesi. It was a highly valued source of iron for a good period of time and does indeed seem to have been used in the forging of old Javanese keris. However, this is a material, not a forged and finished keris. Iron from Luwu was well known to have a relatively high nickel content but my understanding was that it was entirely terrestrial. Can you point to any references that maintain such ore also contained "lots of meteorite"?
I'm afraid i do not see a particularly old keris in your second example, but perhaps we need to see more images. Can you show us an image that shows this entire blade?


Dear david

that is bugis david, here still sometimes we get heirlooms from the direct owners that they can from the heritage of their ancestors, they sometimes do not like if part of the shell fall out or dull so jadang they sharpen and sharpen it, though the blade is very well maintained because here we have own way different from jawa in taking care of kris, using warangan, we here only use lime to care for our heirloom and just perfume from incense smoke,

Best regrads
LP
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 06:13 PM   #9
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default dear jean

hello jean, how are you ,,
of course this is the old kris, a little explanation about the variant of the existing bugis keris, which we must know, the bugis forging system is slightly different from the Javanese kris, and the difficulty level is much harder than the Javanese kris according to the recognition of some masters in Java and Madura, pamor luwu derived from his own bugis land, (which was even in use by majapahit kingdom since the 14th century) according to the written from various ancient records that exist. even import of luwu pamor material for kris jawa, still last until 1900, with very high price. I hope there is a friend here can facilitate us to make an exhibition in europe specializing bugis heritage, so that the perception during this time about the bugis keris can change, we must know the influence of very big bugis keris, sumatra, kalimantan, melayu, lombok, bima, malaysia, singapura even filiphine,
best regrads
LP
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Roland_M
Member
 
Roland_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Pagaru
various types of rare bugis keris variations



here is a large and probably old Bugis blade (14") from my collection after restoration. I guess it is Pamor Blarak Sineret. I cannot identify the small structure, looks like a face in profile. Btw, the blade is extraordinary sharp. All I can say is that the blade looks natural. On a fast view one might think, it is a snake. Even the pamor looks more like a feather or like a fossile than steel.
After a lot of work, the dress is just amazing, very dark with a reddish shine.
The overall picture with the hilt orientated in wrong direction is from the seller.

Roland
Attached Images
   
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 11:16 PM   #11
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,163
Smile

Hello Roland,

This is an unusual and genuinely old Bugis blade that deserves a dedicated thread for analysis IMHO. A bunch of more pics would be good, too...

The dapur will be a tough call, I guess. The Buginese name for the main pamor along the blade eludes me at the moment - Andi will probably be quicker to supply that. There seems to be a second pamor motif at the base of the blade, too.

BTW, did you apparently sharpened/polished the edges quite a bit, didn't you?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 6,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
This is an unusual and genuinely old Bugis blade that deserves a dedicated thread for analysis IMHO. A bunch of more pics would be good, too...


Hi Roland,
agree with Kai. And I hope La Pagaru will see your keris and like to comment!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 06:38 PM   #13
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default Keris roland

Dear all

greetings, I am very struck to see the beauty of keris owned roland, and I hope one day I can bring it back to Indonesia and return it to the bugis land. Bugis call it pamornya kurissi, and our hollow part we call it teddo or piercings ,, we have the ancient book we call lontara bessi, our own bugis heirloom guide and I once gave a few pages translet to kai,

Best regrads
Lp
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Roland_M
Member
 
Roland_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Pagaru
Dear all

greetings, I am very struck to see the beauty of keris owned roland, and I hope one day I can bring it back to Indonesia and return it to the bugis land. Bugis call it pamornya kurissi, and our hollow part we call it teddo or piercings ,, we have the ancient book we call lontara bessi, our own bugis heirloom guide and I once gave a few pages translet to kai,

Best regrads
Lp


Hello La Pagaru,

thank you for your words. And if I give this Keris away some day, it would be my greatest wish, to give it back to Indonesia!
I added two pictures for you, one with the hilt and waranka. The second one shows the Keris in my living room. You can see, this truly is a special place. I see and treat this Keris with great respect.


Best wishes,
Roland
Attached Images
  
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 06:55 PM   #15
La Pagaru
Member
 
La Pagaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 79
Default

[QUOTE=Sajen]Hi Roland,
agree with Kai. And I hope La Pagaru will see your keris and like to comment!

Regards,
Detlef[/QUOTE

Hello sajen

I hope sajen as an ordinary Indonesian facilitate the holding of a bugis keris exhibition in europe, I really hope it

Best regrads
Lp
La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.