Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th December 2023, 12:08 PM   #1
Mercenary

This is a common type of peasant tool throughout India (including Northern India) and is still used as a weapon.
It has different names depending on the region, often as a simple derivative of the word "sickle". You can even find it from Dr. Pant book.
Attached Images

Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 05:59 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Mercenary,

Thank you for pointing out the widespread use of similar sickle-shaped knives. A few years ago, I posted pictures of a hansia from Nepal/Northern India which fits into this discussion. That thread can be found here. The design is very commonly found as a tool that could be used as a weapon if needed.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
A few years ago, I posted pictures of a hansia from Nepal/Northern India which fits into this discussion. That thread can be found here. The design is very commonly found as a tool that could be used as a weapon if needed.
Thank you very much!
The point is that in origin all such items were sickles for agricultural work, as their names suggest.
hansia - sickle
Arival or aruval - sickle
All other names that include "arival" are different types of sickles.
"Val" means "sharp tool" like saw, plough, scissors and of course sickle and sword.
Congavellum = Kongaval (from Egerton). I suppose it was in original "caan val" (Malayalam) or "konam val" (Tamil) - a curved sword.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mercenary; 7th December 2023 at 04:11 PM.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2023, 01:16 PM   #4
SidJ

A similar but better example sold at Olympia auctions in London on 6 December. Pic available on the website.
SidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2023, 05:20 PM   #5
Nihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidJ View Post
A similar but better example sold at Olympia auctions in London on 6 December. Pic available on the website.
...And I was the one that acquired it! I got both of the kongkavaals that were sold at that auction actually. I can provide pics of them if people want when they get here. The photos attached below are the auction photos for each sword.

Also just a tangent since I have done more research into these odd swords since I first made my earlier posts: The proper spelling, I have found, is indeed "kongkavaal". "Kongk" is the tamil-malayali adjective describing something that is bent or dramatically curved, whilst "vaal", as established earlier in this thread, means sword. Dravidian languages are agglutinative mind you all, so adjectives and other "word modifiers" are simply attached to the beginning/ends of words (instead of being seperate words themselves), just like how prefixes and suffixes work in english. The use of a double "a" in "vaal" is just to emphasize the fact that a long/open "a" is how the vowel should be pronounced, and while it might seem silly or "extra" to some, it's not all that uncommon to see Tamil (and other dravidian) people online transliterate their language in this manner, taking special care in how they write vowels and designate emphasis (I have seen, for example, vaal written as "vaaL", with the idea being that the capital L shows how emphasis is placed on pronouncing that consonant).

All other versions of spelling this word are basically corruptions of kongkavaal, like "kongavela" and "congavellum", the latter of which is basically the anglicized version of "kongkavaalam", which is the form of kongkavaal used to specifically refer to a single, physical example.
Attached Images

Nihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2023, 06:10 PM   #6
SidJ

Congrats! I bid on those myself. Excellent items. I settled for the smaller aruval with peacock carving.
SidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2023, 01:41 PM   #7
werecow

On a weird little side note, the word congavellum sounds very Latin to me so I decided just for fun to try to google translate it. Apparently "conga vellum" translates to "prepare the skin".
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote