Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th April 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Cthulhu

Default Kirach (or something) for comment

I'm calling this a kirach, because of the downward droop of the blade. It was sold as a firangi, but the blade doesn't look at all European to me. It went with no bids twice on ebay before I bought it, which makes me feel a little less confident in its value, but too late now.

I'd love to hear the opinion of the forum; kirach or something else? Decent item or unfortunate cash sink? Also, I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on the helical markings on the back spike. I've never seen that sort of pattern there.

These are the photos from the auction listing, which I assume the seller won't mind me using until the sword arrives.
Attached Images

Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Timo Nieminen

I'd call it a khanda. Classic khanda blade, with a common style of hilt. Khandas with a little bit of droop don't seem to be too uncommon.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Cthulhu

If it had a thin blade with reinforcement strips on the proximal edges, I'd definitely call it a khanda, since everything else matches. I'm a bit fuzzy on identifying khandas lacking those features. Is the tip shape alone sufficiently diagnostic to call it a khanda, and a kirach would be pointy and forward swept?
Old 15th April 2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Sossan

Yes Khanda or Patissa type, definitely not a Kirach.
Sossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
weapons 27

Yes it's a khanda with typical handle
weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Emanuel

Nice khanda, nifty back edge at the tip. I would have bid on it if not for the high shipping costs.

Pattern welded blade. An etch should bring it out nicely.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Cthulhu

Thanks for all the comments, and the clear consensus. Having now done more reading on these forums, I'm a little embarrassed to have called it a kirach rather than a khanda. But I comfort myself with the evidence from an old thread that even Jim McDougall was uncertain about the difference back in June 2010.
Old 15th April 2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
If it had a thin blade with reinforcement strips on the proximal edges, I'd definitely call it a khanda, since everything else matches. I'm a bit fuzzy on identifying khandas lacking those features. Is the tip shape alone sufficiently diagnostic to call it a khanda, and a kirach would be pointy and forward swept?
If by tip shape, you also mean the width relative to the width of the rest of the blade, I think so. With the reservation that the sword should also be Indian or Indian-style. People appear happy to call tulwar-hilted khandas with no reinforcing strips khandas, so the khanda-hilted version should be even more a khanda.

I wonder if people would call it a khanda if it had a European-style hilt? Or a Chinese or Japanese style hilt?

A kirach is usually described as a cut and thrust sword, so should have a pointy tip. I've seen swords described as "kirach" with completely straight blades, by which criteria a lot of firangi might be classifiable as kirach (but aren't classified as such), so there seems to be more to kirach-ness.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Emanuel

Patissa blade with khanda hilt
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote