Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Pusaka

Default The colour yellow and keris

Many years ago when I first started getting into keris I remember reading that keris sajen were traditionally secured to the main beam of a house using yellow ribbon or cord to protect the dwelling.
For some reason this stuck in my memory and I would notice throughout the years that whenever someone was making claims of an object being mystical be it a keris or a stone they would always keep it wrapped in yellow cloth, have a yellow string/rag attached to it or keep it in a yellow cloth bag.
Also in Silat yellow is considered a color of protection and is often worn by those who practice silat.

So what is it with this colour yellow, anyone have any deeper explanation for this tradition?
Attached Images

Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 05:58 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I have a special form-fitted box for storing one of my keris, the lining of which is yellow silk. I believe this is a standard color for such boxes.
We might look towards Hindu symbolism as a source for this. Yellow is the color for Vishnu and represents knowledge and purity, so that would make a lot of sense as a color to wrap an heirloom keris in.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Pusaka

In China also Fu are always drawn on yellow paper, just an observation.
Attached Images

Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 12:03 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
In China also Fu are always drawn on yellow paper, just an observation.
Well, it's also the color of the "smiley face" , but i doubt there is any connection there…
It seems more likely to me that symbolic practices pertaining to keris would be more likely to originate with the culture that developed the keris itself.
David is offline   Reply With Quote