Old 8th June 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
punal

Default Moro Ivory Jungayan Kris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Nice Ivory Jungayan Kris just ended
punal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 12:54 AM   #2
ariel

I was watching it with a lot of interest: expected a fierce e-snipe battle and instead.... it fizzled...
" That is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper"
What was wrong? Was everybody scared? Or was it this Kris too awful for words? Surely, it was worth $0.99
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 01:21 AM   #3
punal

it was a very beautiful sword despite of the missing ivory piece.

Last edited by punal; 8th June 2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 8th June 2006, 03:58 AM   #4
nechesh

Ariel, i think you missed the fine print.
"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale"
Usually that means the seller found someone that met his price. I have personally handled this weapon and it is impressive even with the damage. A shame though and it did influence my decision not to buy the kris myself. But it is hardly an awful weapon.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 05:16 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

IT HAS BECOME MORE COMMON OF LATE TO SEE AUCTIONS ENDED EARLY BY THE SELLER. SOMETIMES IT IS DUE TO MISIDENTIFICATION, EBAY MAKES THEM REMOVE IT OR SOMEONE LOCALLY COMES INTO THE SHOP AND BUYS IT. BUT MOSTLY IT IS SOMEONE SENDS A EMAIL TO THE SELLER AND OFFERES HIM A PRICE AND IF THE SELLER DOSEN'T KNOW THE OBJECTS WORTH AND WAS EXPECTING TOO LITTLE OR THE PRICE IS HIGH ENOUGH HE REMOVES IT FROM AUCTION AND THE BUYER ELIMINATES THE COMPETICIAN, ITS KIND OF LIKE SNIPEING EXCEPT YOU DO IT BEFORE AN AUCTION CLOSES. I ACTUALLY DISAPROVE OF IT MORE THAN THE SNIPEING BUT ITS NOT AGAINST THE RULES UNLESS EBAY DOSEN'T LIKE IT AND ITS THE SELLERS CALL TO END EARLY OR DO A BUY IT NOW FOR A BUYER.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Bill M

Don't know if you noticed but the top of the jungayyan pommel is missing. I would hate to pay a lot of money for a broken piece, although there is more than enough ivory to have a large danganan style recarved. I suspect this is what happened to some of the jungayyan handles in past times.

Was also curious about a seller named "venerable mr wong" with small buyer feedback and zero seller feedback in "good luck USA."
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 01:39 PM   #7
nechesh

OK guys, before we get out of hand with conspiratorial possiblities (which i usually love ) i must point out that i know the "seller", he is a member here and has apparently decided to keep the kris for himself and restore it to it's former glory, including eventually restoring the junggayan. This is not to say that all you suspicions are not usually valid, they just don't apply in this case.
Hi Bill. How the hell are ya?
Old 8th June 2006, 04:20 PM   #8
punal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
OK guys, before we get out of hand with conspiratorial possiblities (which i usually love ) i must point out that i know the "seller", he is a member here and has apparently decided to keep the kris for himself and restore it to it's former glory, including eventually restoring the junggayan. This is not to say that all you suspicions are not usually valid, they just don't apply in this case.

i got a feeling that you knew the seller nechesh, from your 1st tread post. i had to cancel a flight due to this puppy now i'm stuck at home polishing my old krises. i hope he would re-inlist it with a buy now option (with the price he had in mind) now, i would quit my job for that, kidding
Old 8th June 2006, 04:54 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

THATS A POSSIBILITY I HAD OVERLOOKED, DAMMAGED OR NOT I COULD NEVER SELL SUCH A KRIS OF COURSE I HAVE TROUBLE LETTING ANYTHING GO I HAVE LET A FEW ITEMS GO OVER THE YEARS WHEN I HAVE FOUND A COLLECTOR WHO SPECILIZED IN SOMETHING I HAD VERY FEW OF AND LITTLE CHANCE OF GETTING ANY MORE. I WOULD FREAK OUT IF I HAD TO LIST A NICE KRIS FOR .99 CENTS ON EBAY

BUT SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE WE ALL HAVE TO PASS ON OUR TREASURES OR IT WILL BE LEFT UP TO OUR CHILDREN WHO MAY HAVE NO INTREST IN OR KNOWLEGE OF THE ITEMS. SO WE COULD DO A BETTER JOB OF FINDING NEW HOMES AND PASSING DOWN OUR INFORMATION ON OUR TREASURES THAN THEY COULD.

DAMMAGE TO IVORY IS TO BE EXPECTED ON SUCH OLD ITEMS ESPECIALLY IF THE SWORD HAS BEEN CARRIED FOR MANY YEARS. SO I AM SURE MOST OF THE OLDER KRIS WHO WERE ACTUALLY WORN AND USED WERE DAMMAGED AND THEN THE BROKEN AREA WAS MODIFIED INTO WHAT IS SEEN ON THE KRIS UNDER DISCUSSION. SO IT IS STILL A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE TYPE EVEN WITH THE DAMMAGE. I ALSO SUSPECT MORE OF THE IVORY POMELS WITH NO PROTRUDING FANCY DECORATIONS WERE MADE THAN THE FANCY ONES. ONE REASON WOULD BE COST ANOTHER WOULD BE AVAILIBILITY OF SUCH A LARGE CHUNK OF SOLID IVORY AND THE ABILITY TO MAKE A FANCY POMMEL. BESIDES WHO WOULD WANT SUCH A FANCY POMMEL ON A FIGHTING KRIS IT WOULD CERTIANLY GET IN THE WAY AND WOULD BE SURE TO GET BROKEN SOONER OR LATER. SO PERHAPS SOME OF THE IVORY POMMELS WE CONSIDER AS BROKEN AND REPAIRED MAY NOT BE, PERHAPS IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MADE AS FANCY AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT HINDERING THE USE OF THE WEAPON.
Old 8th June 2006, 06:52 PM   #10
nechesh

It's an interesting theory Barry, but i'm not sure if it flies. AFAIK, junggayan ivory hilts were a matter of prestige and wealth and would probably only be found on datu level kris. I think most of those guys had others do there fighting and that these kris, no matter how formitable, probably saw little actual combat.
Oh, and since you have about 10 yrs. on me, please feel free to pass your treasures on to me. I promise i will take very good care of it.

Last edited by nechesh; 8th June 2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 9th June 2006, 06:35 AM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WOULD AGREE ON WHAT YOU SAY AS FAR AS THE JUNGGAYAN IVORY POMMEL GOES. I WASN'T SPECIFIC ENOUGH IN THAT MOST IVORY POMMELS ARE MORE SIMPLE AND NOT IN THE FANCY FORM.
I ALSO AGREE THAT MOST DATU PREFERED TO LET OTHERS DO THEIR FIGHTING ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY GOT OLDER. THOSE WHO DID GO TO WAR AND RUN THE CHANCE OF HAVEING TO FIGHT PROBABLY DID NOT CARRY THEIR FANCY KRIS ON SUCH OCCASIONS. NOT TO SAY ALL FIGHTING KRIS WERE PLAIN BUT THEY WERE DESIGNED TO FUNCTION AS A WEAPON AND ANY FEATURE THAT WOULD COMPROMISE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.
10 YEARS YOUNGER YEP THAT WOULD PUT YOU IN LINE FOR THE SALE IN A FEW YEARS
LIFE IS KIND OF LIKE WALKING THE PLANK YOU DON'T EVEN NOTICE YOU ARE ON IT WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS NEW AND DOSEN'T SEEM TO MOVE FAST ENOUGH. LATER YOU SLOW DOWN BUT TIME SPEEDS UP AND YOU NOTICE THERE ARE NOT AS MANY OLDER GUYS IN FRONT OF YOU AS BEFORE. THEY DROP OFF ONE BY ONE UNTILL THERE IS NOTHING BUT THE END OF THE PLANK IN FRONT OF YOU AND IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE RUNNING TOWARD IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

NOT TO WORRY I AM A DIVER AND NO DOUBT WILL FIND SOMETHING INTERESTING THERE BUT IT DOES SEEM STRANGE TO HAVE ONLY ONE LEFT OF MY OLD GROUP OLDER AND TO BE THE SECOND OLDEST LOCAL SWORD GEEK AT 60.
Old 9th June 2006, 07:39 AM   #12
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
HI David,

Thanks for setting that straight about the seller. I guess I was too quick to jump to possible conclusions. Glad that he is restoring it.

I had a large sniper bid set and was disappointed that he pulled it. 21 luks? Please let me know if he wants to sell it in the futrure. I'd like to have it.

I am doing well, thank you! Recovering from a total knee replacement is giving me a little "down time" so I can make a few posts until I get back on my feet.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 9th June 2006 at 07:49 AM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote