Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd September 2016, 01:45 AM   #1
drac2k

Default An interesting Cuban Sword made by Collins & Co.

I have a modest collection of these Spanish Colonial sword type, that are quite often made by Collins & Co.. I recently saw this one on an auction and since the form had an unusual handle I bid on it & won it.The pictures really didn't give any great detail.
When I received it, my first point of interest was the stud for the frog, that stated the Republic of Cuba.I next looked at the scabbard & on the dirty drag I noticed some writing; It was the name Col.G.G.Menocal(Aurelio Mario Gabriel Francisco Garcia Menocal), and thus I looked him up and was astonished to find that this very capable man who had been field promoted while fighting the Spanish for independence, would serve 2 terms as Cuba's first President, run again in 1924, attempt a revolution in 1931 a run again in 1936.

This sword was presented to E.St.John Greble, who received the surrender of Havanna from the Spanish, served on the General's Staff & command of the artillery at Naco, Douglas & El Paso during the Mexican Crisis.He was a Major General who trained the 36th Division for combat in France and he toured the Western Front from Sept. 16 through Dec.7, 1917.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THAT'S A REAL FIND AND A BEAUTIFUL SWORD AS WELL. HAVING THE DATE AND NAME YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO FIND AT WHAT CEREMONY OR OCCASION IT WAS PRESENTED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:40 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks VANDOO. I certainly will do more research ;to me admiring the beauty of what we collect is second to their cultural and historical significance . How many amazing items are rusting in sheds, attics, and garages, only to be thrown out , never to tell their important histories.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:16 AM   #4
drac2k

I thought I would repost this sword since recently I posted a sword that appears to have an association with Lucban; this one has a Spanish Colonial Cuban affiliation. Amazing how much history is still out there!
Old 26th July 2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Victrix

Amazing sword. Congratulations! The Second Occupation of Cuba, also called the Cuban Pacification, occurred 1906-09.

I wonder if the engraving of the arm coming out of the sun grasping a key is an allusion to accepting the surrender or keys of the City of Havanna?

Is the grip made from horn or turtle?
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 03:09 PM   #6
drac2k

Thanks.Two great questions.The first one makes sense, however if you are referring to the image on the sword blade,than I think it is the reoccurring Collins motif and I think you are correct on the second.
Old 26th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Victrix

Yes I think you are right about the motif on the blade. It looks like the one on the scabbard which is a hand holding a hammer emanating from a crown. With some imagination I thought the hammer looked like a key.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote