Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2009, 05:51 AM   #31
Andrew

We don't need any detailed episiotomy discussion here, thanks.

Let's get back on topic, shall we?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 03:03 PM   #32
celtan

Sometime? Always!

I have successfully faced blades and firearms, yet have learned that the only predictably successful way of defense against feminine weapons is to run away like a scared rabbit.

I mean, unless you choose to be "attacked", or are frozen in place by the headlights...

. " )

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
Sometimes, the woman's greatest "weapon" is intangible and subtle ...
Attached Images

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 03:34 PM   #33
celtan

I have shot the Spanish M 1752 fusil, very similar to the M 1728, and it is reasonably accurate and reliable.

Most probably they didn't even shoot at her, the spanish are inured from birth to women shouting abuse at us, throwing dishes etc...It's almost a church-sanctioned way of showing affection...

I still remember the beating I got in Galicia when I was 10 yrs. old, from a 11 yo blonde, blue eyed celtic she-devil, just out of a whim...

In WWII, a couple of my grand-uncles served in the Wehrmacht in Russia. They were supplied methamphetamine-laced chocolate while at the frontline, which made them alert, aggressive and "roaring to go"...

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
That's an interesting photo, Jeff.

I wonder what the message of the symbolisms are -- we have a young lady who seems to be lactating mother, and who is either pregnant again or had just delivered one, and then she's holding that ceremonial sword.

Moving to another location, here's an account describing an Igorot "amazon priestess":
"On the 25th [June 1747], Don Cuarto began the attack, but was soon put out of action himself by two rocks which struck him in the head. Apparently directing the defense forces was a sort of amazon priestess in their midst, naked to the waist, who kept inciting the Ipituys to fever pitch with her shouts and taunting the enemy with her invective and challenging them to shoot her, and although she was a frequent target, no ball found its mark -- a circumstance analyzed in the friar report of the battle as a sure sign of direct covenant with the Devil. The Igorots fought with such fury and war cries they literally foamed at the mouth, causing their enemies to suspect they had chewed some narcotic root to provide a suicidal intoxication."
The account was taken from WH Scott's The Discovery of the Igorots: Spanish Contacts with the Pagans of Northern Luzon (1974).
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 03:09 AM   #34
Gavin Nugent

Default Back from the depths

I couldn't help but raise this ole thread again after reading these links this morning;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomyris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Wo...emale_Worthies

Enjoy the read.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 03:23 AM   #35
laEspadaAncha

Long live the necroposter! Thanks for dredging the forum to find this one, Gav... The thread might be two and a half years old, but it's new to me.

Anyway, as I didn't see this she-biscuit mentioned elsewhere in the thread, here is my wife's own "historical heroine," if you will, Jhansi Ki Rani:

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 04:19 AM   #36
aiontay

Even today Kiowa women, when dressed in traditional dress, have a knife sheath on their belt. These days the sheath is empty as often as not, but back in the old days it wasn't. Knives obviously were mainly tools, but women also carried them for defense, and sometimes offense as well. If a grandmother thought her grand daughter was being mistreated by her husband, he might end up getting cut by his wife's grandmother.
aiontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 01:17 PM   #37
tom hyle

3. Woman's knife. Blade curved, designed for striking a slanting blow. Bagobo, southeastern Mindanao ..."[/I][/QUOTE]

This appears to be a cane-splitting knife; a typical work knife often associated with women.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 01:22 PM   #38
tom hyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc LEFEBVRE
Somes pics of african (Congo) women or young girls with knives, in ceremonial use.
Luc
Is that a tiny mambele with a disc on its tip? It certainly looks like one? although the disc seems all-white and could be a trick reflection....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:31 PM   #39
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiontay
Even today Kiowa women, when dressed in traditional dress, have a knife sheath on their belt. These days the sheath is empty as often as not, but back in the old days it wasn't. Knives obviously were mainly tools, but women also carried them for defense, and sometimes offense as well. If a grandmother thought her grand daughter was being mistreated by her husband, he might end up getting cut by his wife's grandmother.

I think that's an interesting point.
There is a HUGE cultural gulf in the attitudes towards knives and weapons use by women.

I've never met an English girl who had anything more than a passing appreciation of edged weapons and most don't like them at all.
As my lovely mrs occasionally reminds me "it's a boy thing really".

By contrast.... (and I know a single example is hardly a fair sample) a friend of mine is originally from the Phillipines and whenever her and her other half come over for a visit, she is absolutely enthralled by my weapons collection.
She loves small daggers and conealable weapons, she likes swords and happily inspects any new additons with a definate glint in her eye (making her partner most uncomfortable!).
She gleefully regales us with tales of her years in Manilla and the different knives she carried, her favourite sword that she kept in the bar she owned, how she would chase trouble makers out with it etc.
She's quite a character!

Doesn't seem too familiar with the diverse Phillipine types and isn't any help in identifications.
But a completely different view on weapons from western gal's for sure!

Gene

P.S.
Things my other half says on the subject of my weapons:
When I show her a new acquisition:

"I don't want to hold it, it looks dirty"

*sniff* "I don't want to touch it, it'll make my hands smell like pennies"

(on the subject of a new Kukri) "hmm, you've seen one, you've kind of seen them all haven't you?"

Last edited by Atlantia; 16th July 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 01:19 PM   #40
Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
There is a HUGE cultural gulf in the attitudes towards knives and weapons use by women....
Things my other half says on the subject of my weapons:
(on the subject of a new Kukri) "hmm, you've seen one, you've kind of seen them all haven't you?"
This is not a bad thing. It means that once the number of specimens in your collection reaches "critical mass", all new acquisitions become de facto invisible. Domestic harmony is the happy result.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 06:43 AM   #41
mohd

Cut Nyak Dhien Of Aceh (i.e. "Cut" in Malay sounds like "chute" in English).
Click HERE to read about Cut Nyak Dhien.

mohd
mohd is offline   Reply With Quote