Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 22nd April 2019, 02:08 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Moro panabas from late 19th/early 20th C with kampilan style decorations

Very nice example of an unusual panabas showing kampilan style filework to the tip and spine. The blade is laminated and appears to have a hardened edge. The wooden hilt is bound to the inserted tang with four forge-welded iron strips and three bands of heavy plaited rattan.

I purchased this panabas in Manila in 2003 from a respected Filipino dealer. He dated the piece at c. 1900. He stated it came from the Maranao people of Mindanao, and I think his attribution is correct. Similarly decorated panabas were confiscated during the Pershing expedition into the Lake Lanao region in the early 1900s.

OAL 37.0 inches (94 cm)
Blade 18.75 inches (47.5 cm)
Hilt 18.25 inches (46.5 cm)
Thickness of blade at hilt 5/16 inch (0.8 cm)

Price USD 700.00 + shipping from Australia

Please Note: I will ship to U.S.A., Canada, Europe, U.K., Australia and New Zealand. If you live elsewhere, please contact me about shipping to your country.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Price USD 700.00 + shipping from Australia.

Item available on this Forum until May 30, 2019 after which time it will go to auction.

Open to anyone who wishes to contact me via this forum or at: igreaves(at)temple(dot)edu
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote