Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th October 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
archer

Default 'Saidi' Style??

What are these all metal hilted Saidi-like khanjars called? This one is in great detail but pint sized are they simply tourist pocket size or meant to show skill? The minture is 7.5 inches tall. Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Steve, I think the one you show is probably a touristy type, as the decoration appears to be rolled into a sheet of silver.
I have one of these (pics attached) which has the decoration applied and incised into it, and is also on a nice belt. This one I believe is made for a boy hence its smaller size. I stand corrected here by those with greater knowledge than I if my belief is not correct.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
What are these all metal hilted Saidi-like khanjars called? This one is in great detail but pint sized are they simply tourist pocket size or meant to show skill? The minture is 7.5 inches tall. Thanks, Steve

Salaams archer. These are purely tourist/kids daggers. Made often in India and probably soon in China. Omani law now indicates that all silver traditional items should be stamped with the Omani cultural ministry insignia proving genuine and real... It can only be a matter of time for these items to be swept from the shelves... I wish... The problem is that they are not Omani having been imported like cheap toys and made on a machine that stamps them out ...The other thing to point out is that when they first started appearing they were bought as gifts for children (and in fact they still are) even by local people and now they seem to permeate shops and souks. How can I say tourist junk without offending anyone?

For correct form and detail please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th October 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
archer

Default followup

Hi, Stu, This one displays the same degree of workmanship I like the fact yours has a belt included.

Ibrhiim, I'm a bit surprised that they are all three tourist items. I'm familiar with and agree that the pressed rolled foil ones are high profit, low labor works.
This why this forum is an ongoing learning process. Thank you both,

Steve
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi, Stu, This one displays the same degree of workmanship I like the fact yours has a belt included.

Ibrhiim, I'm a bit surprised that they are all three tourist items. I'm familiar with and agree that the pressed rolled foil ones are high profit, low labor works.

Steve

Yes it surprises a lot of people however the simple rule is... Is it silver? The pressed ones (and I show examples on the thread http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878 are not silver but a mixture and or zinc foil. The Omanis would not buy a non silver Khanjar. Of course ~ When purchasing a Khanjar they look at it the other way around in terms of priority deciding first on the quality of blade then hilt then scabbard. In terms of tourist items they wouldn't be seen dead with one... let alone inspect it for quality.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 04:28 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:

Steve
Hi Steve, Your latest pics indeed show the applied decoration. In your first lot it looks like rolled decoration. So is it silver (as mine is) or as Ibrahiim suggests some other cheaper metal? I have seen (and handled) the foil type and they definitely are only tourist, and very easy to pick from the real thing. I would think by the look of yours that it is probably silver, so therefore maybe a boys Khanjar.
Stu
Old 7th October 2013, 04:31 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:

Steve
Hi Steve, Your latest pics indeed show the applied decoration. In your first lot it looks like rolled decoration. So is it silver (as mine is) or as Ibrahiim suggests some other cheaper metal? I have seen (and handled) the foil type and they definitely are only tourist, and very easy to pick from the real thing. I would think by the look of yours that it is probably silver, so therefore maybe a boys Khanjar. I note that the label on the frame states Sterling so one must assume that it is.
Stu
Old 7th October 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
archer

Default Reply

Stu, The silver one in the frame is likely a shell and just for decoration. The one I'm talking about may well be well constructed in metals other than silver, not sure. Looking at the rings one on left appears to be copper looking and plated. So it is likely a well made tourist only trade item as Ibrahiim pointed out. Steve
Old 7th October 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Stu, The silver one in the frame is likely a shell and just for decoration. The one I'm talking about may well be well constructed in metals other than silver, not sure. Looking at the rings one on left appears to be copper looking and plated. So it is likely a well made tourist only trade item as Ibrahiim pointed out. Steve
Hi Steve, I assumed that they were the same item. The rings could be another metal with silver plating.
As Ibrahiim states, there are many of these around now and often seen on ebay, but I think your one is better than those and COULD be a boys Khanjar. Worthy of inclusion in your collection IMHO.
Stu