Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Meaning in a Balinese keris

Hi fellow members, anyone knows what does this symbolize where the arrow is pointing? Is this consider keris Ligan and who usually owns such keris daphur? Priest?

photo copyrighted of the owner.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2021, 04:13 PM   #2
Jean

According to the book "Keris Bali bersejarah" page 74, this is supposed to depict a cock comb? However your specimen is much more spiralling than in the book picture.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
According to the book "Keris Bali bersejarah" page 74, this is supposed to depict a cock comb? However your specimen is much more spiralling than in the book picture.
Regards
what does a cock comb means in Bali culture?
Old 7th August 2021, 06:51 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

I thought i remembered either reading or being told that this form of gonjo was indeed reserved for priests, but i cannot find the reference point at this moment.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 12:47 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Keris ligan is also known as "Keris Pedang", it is a form of keris with a warrior association.

The first time I saw a similar treatment of the greneng to this one was in Mario & Vanna Ghiringhelli's Little Red Book --- the original "Invincible Keris". This keris was a cengkrong style and the caption stated that keris with this blade style, ie, cengkrong, was worn by preachers & scholars of religion & theology.

Note:- blade type, not gonjo type

The first time I saw a keris with this extremely exuberant spiral ornamentation to the greneng was in the courtyard of a very well known Balinese m'ranggi and keris dealer, it was a recently made Madura keris, and it was hanging from the exposed framework of a small pavilion. When I asked why it was hanging there, along with a large number of other newly made keris I was told that all these keris were there to permit them to age naturally.

I have not seen this type of gonjo ornamentation in an old keris, only in recently made ones.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Keris ligan is also known as "Keris Pedang", it is a form of keris with a warrior association.

The first time I saw a similar treatment of the greneng to this one was in Mario & Vanna Ghiringhelli's Little Red Book --- the original "Invincible Keris". This keris was a cengkrong style and the caption stated that keris with this blade style, ie, cengkrong, was worn by preachers & scholars of religion & theology.

Note:- blade type, not gonjo type

The first time I saw a keris with this extremely exuberant spiral ornamentation to the greneng was in the courtyard of a very well known Balinese m'ranggi and keris dealer, it was a recently made Madura keris, and it was hanging from the exposed framework of a small pavilion. When I asked why it was hanging there, along with a large number of other newly made keris I was told that all these keris were there to permit them to age naturally.

I have not seen this type of gonjo ornamentation in an old keris, only in recently made ones.
Thanks Alan for sharing. I am clear now about my doubts. Cheerios.
Old 8th August 2021, 01:04 PM   #7
Jean

Thank you Alan, and I attach the pic of the kris in question from Mario & Vanna G.
Ha ha, RIP Wayan Ritug! I agree with you that the kris from Anthony is most probably a recent creation.
Attached Images

Old 8th August 2021, 09:24 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
The first time I saw a similar treatment of the greneng to this one was in Mario & Vanna Ghiringhelli's Little Red Book --- the original "Invincible Keris". This keris was a cengkrong style and the caption stated that keris with this blade style, ie, cengkrong, was worn by preachers & scholars of religion & theology....
Alan, i suspect you may indeed have seen this greneng treatment before that and forgotten, on page 73 in David van Duuren's book The Kris. I suspect you have this book and i am fairly certain it came out well before the Little Red Book.
While it is difficult to be sure of a single image printed in a text it seem most likely that the keris shown in van Duuren's book is indeed at least 19th century.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 01:12 PM   #9
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G. View Post
what does a cock comb means in Bali culture?
Hello Anthony,
I don't know the meaning of the cock comb in Bali culture as described by the Bali kris book author, but imagine that it could be related to the cock spur of fighting cocks? (very popular in Bali)?