Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2016, 12:29 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Yataghan or Flyssa?

just won this at an online auction in norfolk, uk.
listed as: 19th Century North African Flyssa sword with scabbard a/f

i seriously doubt that. no dimensions, no significant bidders, i won it for less than the packing & postage. it appears to be a turkish (no integral bolster) style karakulak yataghan with silver fittings, now black. scabbard chape may be missing, leather need a bit of TLC near the throat. blade looks laminated, with a indented stamp on the left side. pommel may have some silver-work, as well as some worm holes. will know more when it arrives. i do know it's NOT a flyssa. (they sold another 'flyssa' a few lots before that looked suspiciously like a salawar yataghan (khyber knife) for not much more than i am paying)...

will list more info on arrival.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 01:01 PM   #2
ilias

A nice yataghan.
Congratulations!!!
ilias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Can someone please outline the difference between a Turkish Yatagan and a Greek Yatagan? Is there a stamp on this blade?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 01:40 PM   #4
kronckew

i read elsewhere here that the balkan ones, like my bulgarian one, have integral bolsters, where the turkish ones do not, having a seperate bolster that extends decoratively up the blade for a short bit. not sure abput that tho. i'm sure someone will comment.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

My assumption is that there is no difference but that it signifies generally Ottoman...or at the time Greece was a protectorate of the Ottoman Empire...
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 01:58 AM   #6
ariel

There was no "Greece" till 1821. Just as there was no Serbia, and no "Bulgaria" till 1908 ( in 1878 they got an autonomous state).
Integral bolsters were specific for Bulgarian karakulaks and Zeibek Yataghans. The rest had thin hollow bolsters similar to Afghani khybers. There are very few minor decorative features attributing yataghans to specific localities: all silver nielloed , small-eared Cretan, smooth round corals from Foca, karabela-like handles from North Africa... Blades were made everywhere, but mainly in Anatolia and Bosnia and sold en masse. Very few are signed with Christian names or Gregorian dates.

Kronckew's question is superficiously simple ( it is a yataghan, not a flyssa), but older flyssa did have a yataghan-like appearance, suggesting their origin.
And I am not surprised that Brits called Khybers Salavar (mutilated Selaava) Yataghans: many of them do have recurved blades. This begs a question.....:-))))
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote