Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st December 2006, 05:00 PM   #1
mross

Default Recent ebay win for comments

Won this on ebay from metlman. The picures are his; Thomas Hurst. He allowed me to use them and post here. This is the win that prompted my search that uncovered the Naga database. Any ideas as to age and use? Weapon, tool or both? It's heavy and obviously one handed, the balance is very good. I have to remove the varnish, polish it and etch it. Can anyone translate the script on the scabbard?
Attached Images

mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Nice Naga dao ...

Nice example and definitely used.

Many of these that come on the market today are from around WWII. I would not be surprised if this one was mid-20th C. or a little earlier. Always hard to say from pictures.

The scabbard is atypical, of course.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 05:49 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I AGREE WITH IAN NICE OLDER NAGA SWORD WITH A NICELY DONE NEWER SCABBARD. THE SCABBARD IS NOT MADE IN THE OLD TRADITIONAL STYLE BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT STYLE SCABBARD IS CARRIED TODAY OR IF IT WAS JUST MADE TO LOOK PRETTY AND BE MORE ATTRACTIVE TO THE POTENTIAL BUYER. I THINK THESE WERE CARRIED PRIMARILY AS A TOOL BUT ALSO SERVED AS A WEAPON WHEN NEEDED.
DEFINITION OF TOOL= JUNGLE KNIFE FOR CLEARING TRAIL,CUTTING FODDER FOR ANIMALS OR MATERIALS FOR BUILDING ,PERHAPS FOR HEAVY CARVING AND SHAPEING OF OBJECTS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Personally I would not etch this particular blade. The scabbard is quite unusual. I wonder what language the script is? The floral motif does look as if it has Indian influence but I can not help thinking that it might be Islamic in origin and not really have anything to do with the Naga peoples Indian or Burmese. It is just a feeling do not take my word for it. first get that script seen to .
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote