Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2011, 07:10 PM   #1
mot

Default Kindjal or something else?

Hello,

My father has given me a dagger/knife/blade (sorry - not sure of the correct language) that he received from a family member who worked on repairing the Munich Opera House in Germany in late 50's early 60's. The person found it wrapped in cloth (fell a part immediately) in rubble in the foundation. The Munich museum told him it was Roman, offered to purchase it, but he declined.

Low and behold, I own it now and trying to figure out 1) how to restore and 2) where it may have originated from.

After some research and reading many posts on this site, I'm thinking it may be a Kindjal from Armenia, but not sure.

If anyone can comment or forward me to someone who would know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Attached Images

mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:30 PM   #2
AJ1356

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about kindjals but this seems to look like one. After looking at the pics I just wanted to say, pitty that this blade is in such a bad shape. From the gold engravings it seems like this was a nice looking balde at one point.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot
Hello,

My father has given me a dagger/knife/blade (sorry - not sure of the correct language) that he received from a family member who worked on repairing the Munich Opera House in Germany in late 50's early 60's. The person found it wrapped in cloth (fell a part immediately) in rubble in the foundation. The Munich museum told him it was Roman, offered to purchase it, but he declined.

Low and behold, I own it now and trying to figure out 1) how to restore and 2) where it may have originated from.

After some research and reading many posts on this site, I'm thinking it may be a Kindjal from Armenia, but not sure.

If anyone can comment or forward me to someone who would know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Salaams =mot ~ Its A Qama no?
I know, or rather knew, nothing about Caucasian daggers until I saw this. However I pressed Armanian Kindjal into our own forum search facility and hours later I know lots!!
Is the hilt a replacement?... there is no wear in the metal on the pommel and lower hilt whereas the blade is exceptionally deteriorated... though beautiful; in apparent gold koftiari equivalent.
This is in terms of a restoration project " a dockyard job" requiring a very careful program of staged work to arrest the rust and preserve what you have. Very nice..

Welcome to the Forum !

Add on note.. If you type in Qama to our search ... there is a mine of information there and floral patterns similar to yours on #6 Kindjals of Chechnya..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd December 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: add on note
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Stan S.

Yes, it is a kindjal for sure. Not necesserily from Armenia but its is certainly a possibility. This must have been a really beutiful piece back in the day. I can see the jewels adoring the hilt of nicely polished bone (ivory?) and gold lettering on the blade. The blade seems to have been of good quality but I am afraid it is now ruined beyond repair. In my honest opinion any attempts in restoration will probably cause more harm than good - the blade is too worn out with rust as can be seen from your pictures. The best thing to do is to oil it well with mineral or gun oil and, which will protect the steel from further oxydation, and to store it away.
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Gess

Maybe the military parts?
Here is my kindjal:
Attached Images

Last edited by Gess; 5th December 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Gess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Gess

And here's another
Attached Images

Gess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 07:03 PM   #7
mot

Default Thank you.

Everyone,

I appreciate your responses. I too believe this is not repairable so i'll soak in oil.

You all have some really nice blades! WOW.

Thanks again,

Thomas
mot is offline   Reply With Quote