Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 24th May 2016, 06:17 PM   #1
AHorsa

Default Lobster Tail Helmet okay?

Dear All,

I would love to know your opinion about this helmet. In my eyes it looks good but I am not an expert. It is stamped XXV, one ear is missing.
How would you date the helmet?

Looking forward to your comments,
Andreas
Attached Images

AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 07:30 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Interrsting item.
Does it belong in your collection, Andreas ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 07:38 PM   #3
AHorsa

Not yet, but got the permission from the current owner to ask for opinions here.
Old 25th May 2016, 08:14 PM   #4
AHorsa

I checked the images carefully again and assume, that the helmet is authentic, but the left earflap might be not (the rusts colour insede, the form of the rivets). Is that possible?

Cheerio
Andreas
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:58 AM   #5
A Senefelder

Based on what I can tell from the pics this seems to be a period example of one of the more ubiquitous types ( stylistically ) of zischagge. I've owned one of this style minus the control mark/armoury stamp in the past. As has been noted the different rusting pattern on the remaining cheek plate may be of note, not necessarily indicating that it is a fake part ( it appears to be of fairly standard form ) but that it may be from a different helmet at some point in the past, whether a working life replacement or at some point after of course being difficult to say without closer, " in hand " examination.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Silver Shield

Default Zischagge details

The patina shown of your close ups of this "Zischagge" is no doubt, its good. Mid 1600s Aprox .as most members know . They are usually said to be Dutch manufacture , but I think this particular type is German, from comparisons of helmets I have seen , but that's only a opinion. Cheek pieces are Drilled not Punched as period or older examples , and as other members said usually have been replaced . Punched holes as usual at this time have a inner ring, because the where punched with a tool from both sides . I have had 20 Plus of these through my hands and all but one had replaced cheek pieces , and nasal bars. Every one I had too had seemed to have been been relined usually with buff leather as the originals usually seemed to have . Usually these numbers seen to be like a issue number of government or estate troops , not privately owned at the time by the user a inventory or issue marking not a contract number nor lot or piece number .
Silver Shield is offline   Reply With Quote