Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2014, 05:05 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Moro Sulu Kriss with Elongated Silver Hoof Pommel

I just got this one back from a badly needed blade polish. Sulu hoof pommels are not rare, but this elongated silver one struck me as both elegant and unusual. The grip is wrapped in thin black cord and silver bands. The blade shows about 50-60% of its original silver inlay.

The blade is very nicely forged in a "hairpin" laminated pattern that might be just as much at home on a Tibetan or Nepalese sword pattern-wise. You can see the folding and tempering has been very carefully controlled. Generally I don't like my Moro blades quite this dark, but in this case it really highlights the blade's finer features.

The scabbard is new.

Size: 29in. overall; 22.5in. blade; 6.5in hilt length; 3in. pommel length
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 06:00 PM   #2
RSWORD

Beautiful piece Charles! The blade lamination looks gorgeous!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 06:58 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ANOTHER BEAUTY THE UNUSUAL LONGER POMMEL DOES ADD A LOT OF ELEGANCE, THE BLADE IS EXCEPTIONAL AND THE SCABBARD GOES WELL WITH THE KRIS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 07:11 PM   #4
DaveS

As Ron just said, a beautiful piece. I especially like the elongated horse-hoof pommel. I haven't ever seen one with that type of elongation. It gives the whole thing a more graceful look. I personally like a more darkened blade. I do most of mine that way even though it's not traditional. I just think the contrast between high and low carbon areas makes a blade, at least for me anyway, more visually appealing........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
I personally like a more darkened blade. I do most of mine that way even though it's not traditional.
Actually Dave, this has been discussed before. I feel Moro blades were etched darker. Note this picture:
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 07:32 AM   #6
kai

Hello Charles,

Quote:
The blade is very nicely forged in a "hairpin" laminated pattern that might be just as much at home on a Tibetan or Nepalese sword pattern-wise.
As discussed before, this linear pamor with bold contrast is quite rare, indeed. I'd avoid the reference to the hairpin pattern of the Himalayas though since the very key (the turnover towards the tip) is obviously missing from these Moro laminations.

Quote:
The scabbard is new.
I'd imagine that this really elegant pommel would look even nicer with a slender keris-like crosspiece - photoshop, anyone?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 07:45 AM   #7
DaveS

Jose: You are right. I do remember this discussion. However I think the majority of collectors of moro stuff see blades at gun shows or knife shows that either have been polished by the owners, or they are covered in rust. I don't think most of them have any idea what they were supposed to look like when they were actually in use. In fact most people that come to the shows that we do, invariably ask, when they see a kris especially an Indo kris ask " ARE THESE BLADES MADE OF SOME KIND OF STONE"???. It usually happens two or three times during a show.........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 04:08 PM   #8
CharlesS

I'm most grateful for your input guys!
Old 8th July 2014, 12:05 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

I just finished repairing and replacing the missing silver inlay on both sides of this wonderful piece.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2014, 06:29 PM   #10
CharlesS

Battara,

The floral panel is pretty obvious, but what do you make of that little extension towards the tip of the blade? Significance?

BTW, the work is wonderful...can't wait to get it in hand!
Old 8th July 2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Sajen

Great work Jose! I am already curious to see what you will be able to to do by my one!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you both!

Charles, if you are referring to the trident made of silver inlay, Cato says that this is a protective symbol for the owner/wielder of the kris facing the enemy. If this is true, I also wonder if was a carry over from Indic influences long ago (Majapahit Empire) or from trade with India and Indonesia. The roots would be from perhaps Shiva's trident and thus talismanic.

Detlef, your will see yours.........