Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th September 2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default PNG western highlands shield.

Waiting for arrival. Mine is the red and white painted shield. Shown with other examples with the same regional cultural methods of carrying. The timber used appears to be a much softer wood than the Southern Highlands shield seen in other threads. The shields with a white background are from "Shields kunst aus neuguinea, Johann Feilacher, Chris boylan, museum gugging". The other is from "Shields of Melanesia, Hawaii university press 2005".
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ethnographic shields are incredibly fascinating, and equally esoteric. It does not seem there is a great deal of literature on them, so the sources noted are much appreciated.

Is there any info on the possible tribal or possibly other meanings of the designs, colors or other character of these? The type of wood used as noted is interesting also. Hope to hear more on these!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

There is no gospel truth about PNG highland shields. It seems to me that real interest in these shields is a recent thing, late 20th century and most likely too late to be wholly accurate.

The shields in this thread appear to be from the Wahgi valley and environs. Information on these shields can be found in the a fore mentioned "Shields of Melanesia"
Reference is made to a {lifted from Shields Melanesia} Father William Ross, one of the earliest Europeans to enter the Wahgi Valley, described three types of shields in use near Mount Hagen in the 1950s. {Mennis 1982}

A half-sized wooden battle shield {rumag} was reported to be use for close fighting but, according to {Mennis: 174}, no examples are known. However, the smaller oval shield used by bowmen, which is called kumbe ramokl {fig 5.24} is probably the one referred to by Ross. The terms recorded rumag and ramokl are most likely the same word.

The other shields being a small wooden parrying shield similar in form to Australian Western desert shields. Full sized war shields at 1.50m by over 60cm. As I mentioned at the beginning I do not think one should establish any orthodoxy in the subject. I post fig 5.24 and maps that I have plundered, using image searches, to help in getting some idea of place.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 16th September 2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12th October 2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I have it now and it is a beauty. I am surprised at how heavy it is. Made of heavy wood with a curve enough to tuck your body and head into, giving total coverage of vital organs with just legs showing. It is rather heavy to run around with. Bow men might be in a support role show less near contact with enemy and less need to be very mobile.
Attached Images