Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
JW

Default New member / Collector of African weapons

As a new member here on this board I'd like to say hello to the board community and tell you something about myself.

I am collecting African weapons since more then 30 years. With the years the collection grew up to about 300 objects. It's always interesting to meet other people who share the same interest and exchange opinions about objects and their history. I know many collectors who own more objects, but in my mind it is not the amout what is important. My philosophy is not to have 3, 4, or 5 objects of the same kind, what I am looking for is a good quality of things.

Just to give you an opinion on what kind of knives I like I attach a photo of a Fang knife and hope you like it too.
Attached Images

Last edited by JW; 24th August 2012 at 11:29 AM.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello,
welcome to the forum. I collect byself sharp and pointed things from Indonesia and the Philippines.
You have a good philosophy of collecting. Also it isn't my area of collecting I like your Fang throwing knife and hope to see more of your collection.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
JW

One more from my collection. It's a knife made by the Ngul / Dinga (Dzinga).
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
As a new member here on this board I'd like to say hello to the board community ... snip ...
welcome on board.
I'm collecting edged weapons from Islamic countries.
with as well as you, I've a philosophy of collecting, I try (!) to limit my collection,
at 2 items per kind, only with a provenance from countries,
where we were as expatriates, or passing by, as tourists (it's a lot )

I love your Fang knife, even if my knowledge about this area, approach the absolute ... nil,
anyway, it is very artistic

I expect to see more from your collection,
again, you are welcome

best regards

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Iain

Welcome! Always good to have more African oriented collectors here.

As the resident takouba addict... I have to ask... any examples from your collection you wish to share?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

Welcome aboard, JW. That Fang is awsome. Look forward to seeing more. The variety of African edged weapons is mind boggling. That's why I've stayed away from them. Got too many collections going as it is. But maybe someday. Hmmm...
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 06:08 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. A EXCELLENT FANG KNIFE. I HAVE TWO EXAMPLES BUT THEY ARE NOT ON THE LEVEL WITH YOUR EXAMPLE.
MINE DO NOT HAVE THE FISH TAIL, IS THAT A REGIONAL VARIATION OR DOES IT REPRESENT AN OLDER FORM?
THE SECOND KNIFE YOU SHOW IS UNUSUAL WITH THE PHALLIC NATURE OF ITS DESIGN IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH SOME FERTILITY CEREMONIE? IF NOT WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE IN THE TRIBAL GROUP. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF YOUR COLLECTION. BOTH ITEMS ARE LIKELY THE BEST OF THEIR TYPES I HAVE SEEN. CONGRADULATIONS!
UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NOT HAD THE RESISTANCE TO JUST COLLECT TOP QUALITY ITEMS OR TO COLLECT IN ONE AREA OF THE WORLD OR ONE FORM OF WEAPON. WHATEVER INTERESTS ME THAT I CAN AFFORD I GET AND STUDY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello JW, and welcome to the forum . Like everyone else I would like to say what a wonderful example your Fang knife is. I collect Philippine edged weapons myself but have always appreciated the beauty and diversity of styles that are produced in the different areas of Africa. I look forward to seeing more items from your collection.

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
JW

First I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome on the board. And of course I have to say thank you for your comments on the objects I have posted. I will upload more photos of some of my African knives and look forward hearing your opinions about those.

@ Vandoo: It is difficult to say something about your two knives without having a photo. Maybe you can take a shot and upload it to the forum.
In most cases it is not easy to say for what purpose African knives were made. In my eyes it is not correct to talk about African weapons, because to many of those weapons were never used as weapons. I think talking about blacksmith art is better. The two knives (Fang / Kota and the Ngul / Dinga) were definately not used as a weapon. One indication is the blade what is in both cases not sharp to be used as a weapon. I think both objects were used for ceremonial reasons or to demonstrate power or as a symbol of somebody's position in a tribe's hirachy.

In this special case of the Kota / Fang and the Ngul / Dinga knives I have two very similar objects in my collection. The reason why is very simple: I don't know to which on I should say bye bye. As you can see on the photos they are really similar and maybe understand my little 'problem'.
Attached Images