Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Visayan Sword on Cato's Moro Swords?

this item ended on ebay last night:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6504641355
now, this past weekend while being confined at work for 16 hours each day, i was once again leafing thru cato's book for the umpteenth time. on page 23, there's a sword that has a very similar blade on the item provided above. the only difference being the hilt.
well, about a couple months ago, an item similar to cato's book was sold on ebay. here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...762592922&rd=1

to zel, labantayo and everyone else that are very familiar with visayan swords, am i seeing things or has this been discussed before? what do the southern people call this specific sword?

please discuss...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Visayan tenegre

Spunjer:

The same dealer as the more recent item you mention had another similar sword recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6503472828

Both this one and the one you referred to are Visayan. They have a very "sparse" or blank form of the Visayan deity hilt, indicating they likely originated from Panay. The guards and scabbards on these two are almost identical also, although the blade profiles are a little different.

The earlier item you mention I believe was discussed here previously. If I recall correctly, it was thought to be a version of the Moro naga-hilted bangkung.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Federico

Remember the other sword being discussed. Though I'd be more inclined to classify as a shandigan barong with sharpened false edge and Naga hilt? Bangkung I've always associated with more kampilan-esque blades or the "Moro" version of the binagong (now this is if Im remembering the Binagong definition right compared to tenegre and of course if Im even spelling it right) or the lumad tribe kampilan-esque weaponry.

I agree with Ian 100% on the first ebay sword. Modern era (well relatively) tenegre (ok Im cautious with this term cause I mess it up all the time, but just because I dont feel like saying Visayan Bolo I'll use it). The sword on pg 23 in Bob's book is a Naga hilted barong. The picture in the book is a little wierd due to printing.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Spunjer

hey ian, welcome back! kamusta ang pilipinas (how's philippines)?
as far as that item that was sold a couple months ago, i believe it was agreed to be a variation of barong/bangkung type. after i saw the picture while leafing thru cato's book this past weekend, that's when i remember that ebay item that was discussed a couple months ago.

as for the binangon (don't worry fred, i didn't know there was a difference between that and a tenegre til zel pointed it out to me; heck, i'm ilonggo to boot ), i just can't shake the feeling on how the shape of the blade is strikingly similar to the one on cato's book and the ebay item, save for the shandigan blade.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
Federico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
i just can't shake the feeling on how the shape of the blade is strikingly similar to the one on cato's book and the ebay item, save for the shandigan blade.
Its because it has a rounded clip point. Its there, but because it is somewhat rounded that is why it is throwing you off.

As for Bob's book, I can assure you 100% it is a standard barong blade. Play around with picture angles and barongs, and you can sometimes get some interesting results.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Mabuti naman salamat po si Spunger.

Philippines was geat, as usual, but only a couple of days. Did see our friend Dan Wilke in Manila, and he made some excellent purchases which I hope he will share with us shortly.

Did not see any shandigan weapons, though there were a couple of nice old kampilan -- Dan snagged a good one.
Old 18th January 2005, 06:44 PM   #7
zelbone

Spunger,
You'll see alot of similarities with weapons among the various ethnic groups in the Philippines...sometimes they look so similar it's hard to differentiate. Take for instance the blade form which is found throughout the Philippines where the blade has a straight cutting edge and widens from the hilt to the point and the spine curves back down to the edge. You see this in the Sulu bangkung, Ilongo binangon, Cebuano ginunting, T'boli tok, as well as the binakoko of Luzon.

The Moro sword you pointed out is one of those rare Moro oddities. Really, I don't know what to call it, but if I had to I'd call it a rare barong variant. At least the scabbard looks like an older barong form. Whether it has a specific name, that I really don't know. I've only seen one other sword like it and it was in an illustration in the book Sword of Valor. Looking at one of those "Weapons of the Moroland" souvenir plaques it looks similar to the laring or the lahot, although I've never seen actual examples of those weapons. I do offer a couple of possibilities courtesy of our own fellow forumite Vandoo who seems to stash away every kampilan and odd Moro sword around . The first is a gupad and the second a kambontouli.
Attached Images

zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 06:50 PM   #8
zelbone

Talking

Good to have you back, Ian! We're going to have to bug Dan to share some photos of his latest aquisitions in the Philippines.

Hopefully he'll be around Manila when Shelley and I are there in April. Maybe we can turn him from the "Dha Syndicate" and have him join us in the dark side....MUWHAAA-HAA-HA-HA !!!!
Old 21st January 2005, 02:01 PM   #9
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Fascinated

While I won't turn, I am fascinated and learning quickly. Yes I will be here when you come through. Pics up tonight on the first and best.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 07:27 AM   #10
zelbone

Wink

I wouldn't expect you to turn so quickly, Dan ! Look forward to meeting you in Manila. We'll have to talk swords (including dhas) over a few San Miguels and Tabacaleras...although Shelley prefers the Red Horse over the San Miguels.
Old 22nd January 2005, 03:07 PM   #11
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Turned?

OK Ok quit beating me up. I haven't turned, I prefer to think of it as EXPANDING!
Me and San Miguel are old friends!
Old 26th January 2005, 02:07 PM   #12
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelbone
.although Shelley prefers the Red Horse over the San Miguels.
did somebody say red horse?
red horse and crispy pata, i'm so there.

wilked, if you find any good visayan pieces in manila, please direct us to the right places. i noticed a beauty in the pic of you and ian at the shop in manila.
what part of manila are you staying? we'll be in quiapo, so we'll be close to ermita / malate.
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 02:33 PM   #13
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Red Horse on me!

It was indeed ermita/malate where the dealer was located. Please contact me when you get in I will make time to show you where the exact location is ( for the small cost of showing me how to etch a blade) 0915-743-5504. Dying to pick your mind on Visayan weapons. Have a guy in my unit who is Visayan and he keeps asking me questions I can't answer. First night of Red Horse is on me!
I hear there are a few must visit establishments in that area also . My wife keeps beating me up to find the "good " markets before she comes to visit in Feb. Any help in that regard would me a big payback!
Old 26th January 2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy Don't be pushing the prices up ...

now that you guys have access to my "source." Be kind to the old guy and leave me some pickin's too when I get back to Manila

Have fun guys!