Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th October 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Moro shield

Just arrived 20" diameter. I think it is old and rare, but how old? How rare?

Comments?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 11:46 PM   #2
kino

Nice shield.
What makes you think it's Moro?
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Nice shield.
What makes you think it's Moro?
Kino,

I am not an expert in this particular variety of shield. However three experts I know all agreed that it was an "early, rare, Moro shield." I trust these men implicitly.

Kino, you know at least one of them well and have already talked with him about this. Actually you know some other really neat people well also.

I do not like to spread around names without their permission though I am happy to share the knowledge as long as they have not asked me to keep it myself. I believe that knowledge is free and belongs to everyone, but I have to keep my word.

I felt that I needed to move quickly to acquire it and do not have the detail information about why they felt it is a "rare, early Moro shield," but they have advised me well in the past and I trust that this is so.

As I have mentioned in the past, I correspond with a lot of experts who help me build my collection. Personally I am more of a generalist than a detail guy.

I often find something that gives me a feeling to acquire, run it by a few good people in that field and then if I and they have good feeling about the price, I acquire it.

In holding this piece I have a very good feeling of quality and age. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I have been traveling, meeting museum curators and collectors and handling a lot of good pieces, trying to develop my "eye."

I like to study a culture in depth, as much as I can from home -- I am putting my affairs in order to be able to travel and actually see some of these places and meet friends I am developing all over the world.

This has been my dream since I began collecting a few years ago. I am close to achieving this goal.

The people on this Forum have been a great help and I look forward to meeting you in Belgium, Philippines, Borneo, Beijing, Paris, UK, New Zealand and other places.

I post items both to share he beauty of these various cultures and also to find out more about them myself. This is why I ask for “comments.”

Guys, to me it is not so much the weapons and trappings that interest me as it is the people.

And I intend for the pieces I have collected to one day return to their homelands. I feel that this is proper and right. I constantly seek out guardians that will take over their care when I am gone.

Now don’t start lining up now! I have a few years left.

All in all we are merely temporary custodians of these objects. They were here a long time before any of us were born and with proper custodial care they will be here a long time after we are gone.

So again I ask for comments.

And I hope that I have answered your question, Kino about why I think it is a Moro shield.
Old 12th October 2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Bill take a look at this shield?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handmade-African...QQcmdZViewItem

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Bill take a look at this shield?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handmade-African...QQcmdZViewItem

Lew
very similar. Wish I had seen it on eBay before it closed.
Old 15th October 2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Dajak

Hi Bill do you have the book shields from Prestel
take a look on page 132 pic 66
not an moro shield experts not always on the right side

What make some one an expert Bill ???

regards Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote