Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th January 2021, 08:41 PM   #1
shayde78

Default Kebo Giri? Kebokantong?

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

I am definitively out of my depth here. I saw this item on ebay, and knew I hadn't seen this form before. So, I bid on it, and got very lucky. I did a lot of digging through the archives here, and found some information, so I trust the experts will weigh in. I have not yet learned the vocabulary specific to Keris, so please bear with me as I am bound to make a few mistakes.

From reading through the past threads, I believe this type of keris to be referred to as a Kebo Giri (luk tiga). Alternatively, it is referenced as dapur Kebokantong. It has an exaggerated gandik and the blade has luk beyond the sekar kacang (which I believe makes this even more rare).

I am eager to hear your opinions. It came with no additional dress than what is shown. I am not sure if the ganja is separate, or iras.

For what it is worth, the seller indicated it was "at least 40-50 years old". I asked her what she based that on and it was that it was her brother's, that he had died in the early 1990s, and that he hadn't traveled for years prior to his death, so he could not have collected it after the 1980s.

So, what do you think? Apologies for the dirty condition - I just received this today and am eager to get some expert feedback
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote