Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2024, 12:48 PM   #1
Calien

Default Persian Wootz non-reg 1803 infantry officer saber

Good evening everyone,

Here is my lastes arrival, a non regulation 1803 style sabre with a Persian wootz blade and brass grip. So far this is the only one Ive seen in this configuration, usually the all brass grips are presentation sabres. If anyone has more information or would like to a share some examples please do so
Attached Images

Calien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2024, 05:16 PM   #2
Will M

Great looking 1803 with a "capture" blade? Where does the sword balance? Possibly a reason for the brass grip to add weight?
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2024, 06:46 PM   #3
Radboud

What a great looking sword, my first thought was that could be for an officer of the East India Company, with the brass being more suitable to the humid climate. Another possibility could be that it belonged to an Indian officer who wanted a solid hilt that felt more like a tulwar.

Have you taken any stats of the sword? How long is it and the blade, weight, curvature and point of balance?

Also interesting that it doesn’t have a crest in the guard, which could be another clue for a para military organisation.

Is it possible to take more photos of the sword alone, without the additional clutter of the pistols and belt? There’s a lot to unpick in the blade, the fuller is interesting, I’m not familiar enough with shamshirs to know if this is common or not. My suspicision is that it’s more of an Indian feature leading to the suggestion the blade was made specifically for the Indian market.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 02:29 AM   #4
Calien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
What a great looking sword, my first thought was that could be for an officer of the East India Company, with the brass being more suitable to the humid climate. Another possibility could be that it belonged to an Indian officer who wanted a solid hilt that felt more like a tulwar.

Have you taken any stats of the sword? How long is it and the blade, weight, curvature and point of balance?

Also interesting that it doesn’t have a crest in the guard, which could be another clue for a para military organisation.

Is it possible to take more photos of the sword alone, without the additional clutter of the pistols and belt? There’s a lot to unpick in the blade, the fuller is interesting, I’m not familiar enough with shamshirs to know if this is common or not. My suspicision is that it’s more of an Indian feature leading to the suggestion the blade was made specifically for the Indian market.

Unfortunately Im stationed overseas in a country were they dont allow edge weapons. My family received it yesterday so the measuremennts of weight and balance will have to wait for a while. However here are some pictures from the auction. The blaede is Persian, so I could be for indian service or even from the Egyptian campaing. There are similar guards that predate the 1803 without the GR and even a few after, but they are not the norm of course. It is important to point it that it comes in at cavalry lenght 96 cm.
Attached Images

Calien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 03:19 PM   #5
Will M

The knucklebow looks much stronger than your average 1803p. Obviously a mounted infantry officer knew what he wanted.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote