Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2023, 08:30 PM   #1
aspalathos

Default Yatagan?

Hello folks . I bought this jatagan recently, I need an opinion,balkan?
aspalathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 02:48 PM   #2
Interested Party

A picture would be helpful.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 04:13 PM   #3
aspalathos

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
A picture would be helpful.
Hi,sorry something goes wrong but now I think I make it
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2024, 05:13 AM   #4
serdar

Well i can help you, that sword is realy not a yatagan, i know it has ears but it is not yatagan.
That sword is from Kotor or Risno in Montenegro, it is called Pala, it has nothing to do with the soo caled ottoman pala nor with yatagan.

There are two versions, both have a straight blade, and your version has smaler slender ears from ivory, valrus or bone, and other version is made of silver and is without ears but looks like cubed bird head.
There is shorter and longer version of it, and hasrma is usualy from silver and scabbard from thick beautifuly graved silver.

Your is in bad condition and is tampered with, but for the price you payd it is ok.
In good condition and proper mountings they are very rare and very expensive.
Guy from my country was seling it.
serdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2024, 07:48 PM   #5
gp

sorry to disagree with you Serdar bey, but it could certainly be a Balkan yataghan, at least in the former Yu it was named as such, found / made.

Similar are listed in:

1. the book "zbirka Jatagana u Hvratskom povijesnom muzeju Zagrebu " by Dora Boskovic..and they are not all from the Kotor Bay era ( Kotor, Risan, Perast) but also in Bosnia, Albania/ Kosova to Macedonia
Of that type for instance # 113, page 99, #131 page 103, # 151 page 107 and several on page 110 & 111

2. the publication from the exhibtion "Oruzje "/ "weapons" from the collection of the Bosniak Institue - Adil Zulfikarpasic Foundation ,
page 16 # 259/E and 19 # 257/E

Hello Aspalathos / zdravo Splitcanin !

so closer to home, if you don't find Dora's book in the library, perhaps it is listed in the online version:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=yataghan

some more visualisations:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...8&postcount=64

but to be 100% sure i would need to see it and hold it in my hands or have more pics... But my guess would be Boka Kotorska to BiH.

Tip: cleaning the blade is easy but I would recommend to clean the grip / handle in order to avoid further detoriation and stop the oxidation.
An easy job if you use the good materials !Good luck my friend / hajde brate !
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 20th January 2024 at 10:47 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2024, 08:08 PM   #6
serdar

Well, you have right to disagree, books and especialy so called “experts” are most times wring, becouse they saw a litle bit of material and write on that presumption.
I said it is 1000% from kotor are becouse i am from kotor, i have in my family identical swords but in many times beter moznting and quality that are over 300 years old, all dated and tracked so i onow which master and workshop in kotor made them.
Straight sword with this kind of a blade, bone and this kind of ears or silver and no ears which are vay rearer, are 100000% koror, and risno made pala swords.
They vere newer named and called yatagana but pala.
Look in book fejsil čurćić staro oružje in bigger book there is small allso, it is old and expensive but maybe online, he is best author on subject of that kind of weapons.
Pozdrav.
serdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 06:36 PM   #7
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar View Post
Well, you have right to disagree, books and especialy so called “experts” are most times wring, becouse they saw a litle bit of material and write on that presumption.
I said it is 1000% from kotor are becouse i am from kotor, i have in my family identical swords but in many times beter moznting and quality that are over 300 years old, all dated and tracked so i onow which master and workshop in kotor made them.
Straight sword with this kind of a blade, bone and this kind of ears or silver and no ears which are vay rearer, are 100000% koror, and risno made pala swords.
They vere newer named and called yatagana but pala.
Look in book fejsil čurćić staro oružje in bigger book there is small allso, it is old and expensive but maybe online, he is best author on subject of that kind of weapons.
Pozdrav.
thank you very much / hvala puno moj drug ! čurćić I know and have in my collection. Obviously there are questionable issues in books and museums. Just like Elgood "borrowed" his Balkan chapter from Đurđica Petrović (1927-2003) .
Last but not least I get quite some info from publications in "Wissenschaftliche Mitteilungen aus Bosnien und der Hercegowina" from 1893 till 1916
a German-language scholarly journal on the heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina, published in Vienna by the Bosnian National Museum of Sarajevo.

as you are from Kotor; hope to meet you some day for a loza or two in Dobrota ( were I used to stay in the mid 80ies with my Crngorci brat / friend ) ! ☺☺☺

Last edited by gp; 21st January 2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:38 PM   #8
aspalathos

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar View Post
Well i can help you, that sword is realy not a yatagan, i know it has ears but it is not yatagan.
That sword is from Kotor or Risno in Montenegro, it is called Pala, it has nothing to do with the soo caled ottoman pala nor with yatagan.

There are two versions, both have a straight blade, and your version has smaler slender ears from ivory, valrus or bone, and other version is made of silver and is without ears but looks like cubed bird head.
There is shorter and longer version of it, and hasrma is usualy from silver and scabbard from thick beautifuly graved silver.

Your is in bad condition and is tampered with, but for the price you payd it is ok.
In good condition and proper mountings they are very rare and very expensive.
Guy from my country was seling it.
interesting observation
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:40 PM   #9
aspalathos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
sorry to disagree with you Serdar bey, but it could certainly be a Balkan yataghan, at least in the former Yu it was named as such, found / made.

Similar are listed in:

1. the book "zbirka Jatagana u Hvratskom povijesnom muzeju Zagrebu " by Dora Boskovic..and they are not all from the Kotor Bay era ( Kotor, Risan, Perast) but also in Bosnia, Albania/ Kosova to Macedonia
Of that type for instance # 113, page 99, #131 page 103, # 151 page 107 and several on page 110 & 111

2. the publication from the exhibtion "Oruzje "/ "weapons" from the collection of the Bosniak Institue - Adil Zulfikarpasic Foundation ,
page 16 # 259/E and 19 # 257/E

Hello Aspalathos / zdravo Splitcanin !

so closer to home, if you don't find Dora's book in the library, perhaps it is listed in the online version:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=yataghan

some more visualisations:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...8&postcount=64

but to be 100% sure i would need to see it and hold it in my hands or have more pics... But my guess would be Boka Kotorska to BiH.

Tip: cleaning the blade is easy but I would recommend to clean the grip / handle in order to avoid further detoriation and stop the oxidation.
An easy job if you use the good materials !Good luck my friend / hajde brate !
Hola papučar How are you ?
Old 24th January 2024, 10:02 AM   #10
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspalathos View Post
Hola papučar How are you ?
thank you , very well / odlicno !
Old 24th January 2024, 08:29 PM   #11
aspalathos

Quote:
thank you , very well / odlicno !
I found a new bicaq
Attached Images

Old 25th January 2024, 08:39 AM   #12
gp

a beautiful set indeed ! the on e with Ärajevo"on it looks most interesting.
Is the decoration in gold or silver ?
Old 25th January 2024, 08:54 PM   #13
aspalathos

Quote:
a beautiful set indeed ! the on e with Ärajevo"on it looks most interesting.
Is the decoration in gold or silver ?
Hi decoration is in silver. I have one black yatagan and this white on the top for sell or trade

Last edited by aspalathos; 26th January 2024 at 11:29 AM. Reason: No mention of selling here please
Old 26th January 2024, 07:48 AM   #14
eftihis

Hello, similar type here. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...alkan+yataghan
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2024, 11:38 AM   #15
aspalathos

A very nice piece. The blade is decorated along the entire length, I have one blade decorated in a similar way
Attached Images