Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th September 2013, 09:40 PM   #31
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Man shall not live by bread alone
Still, for an off forum scope topic, this 'chest parade' has gone a fair long way ... prices and all
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 06:28 PM   #32
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A INTERESTING OFF TOPIC INDEED AARGH! I LIKE PIRATES AS WELL.
THE MENTION OF THE CHEST BEING COVERED WITH BLACK TAR COULD POINT TO A LIKELY USE ON SHIPS AS IT WOULD SERVE WELL TO PROTECT FROM SALT WATER AND TAR WAS READILY AVAILABLE FOR SEVERAL USES ON SAILING SHIPS. THOUGH THE CHESTS COULD BE BROKEN INTO I THINK THEIR MAIN PURPOSE WAS TO KEEP OUT SNEAK THEIVES WHO COULD TAKE A LITTLE OR SEE OR STEAL SECRET DOCUMENTS ECT. WITHOUT DETECTION IF THERE WAS EASY ACCESS. LOCKED CHESTS AND ROOMS WERE ALSO A DETRERRENT TO SAILORS GETTING INTO THE ARMS OR GROG.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 12:34 AM   #33
M ELEY

Very nice...um...chest! Can't believe the prices being quoted, but again, if auction prices, they are always bid low.

Barry, good to see you on this side of the Forum! Didn't know you had an interest in pirate things, like Jim & I (and Fernando, too, I suspect! ).
Yes, tar & pitch were favorites for anything iron going to sea (actually, even some of the wood hafts to axes and clothing were tarred, such as hats). The salt air and stormy rain made 'weather-proof clothing and equipment ideal for this environment.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 04:13 PM   #34
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
... Didn't know you had an interest in pirate things, like Jim & I (and Fernando, too, I suspect! )..
Your suspicions are well founded, Mister Eley ... sir . I even have a skipper qualification; a steel hook that i can use on my right (handless) forearm; something you can't do, he, he

Quote:
... Yes, tar & pitch were favorites for anything iron going to sea (actually, even some of the wood hafts to axes and clothing were tarred, such as hats). The salt air and stormy rain made 'weather-proof clothing and equipment ideal for this environment.
As i have once mentioned here a few years ago, we can read in Portuguese ship's inventories from the XVI century that, bundles of onboard black swords (ESPADAS PRETAS DE BORDO) could be found in the contents. I wouldn't know what specific material was applied to them, but the intention was the same.
Old 7th September 2013, 05:02 AM   #35
M ELEY

Ahh yes, that hook of yours! Tuna and mackeral had better beware!

I remember you mentioning the black swords before and wanted to do some research on them. Thanks for the reminder. On the subject of blackened swords, I had always wondered if the so-called 'mourning smallswords' might have had more of a presence in this regard as far as sea-service swords go. We know the Spanish navy adopted the smallsword as a sidearm/symbol of rank after ca. 1750. Blackened iron on cutlass was standard. Most iron items that went to sea (this chest being a possibility) was often either painted, tarred, or blackened to retard rust, so the blackened smallsword being a sea-sword? Opinions, gents? Keep in mind that mourning swords were often used secondarily as 'informal dress swords' or 'town swords'. I've heard, but have no substantiated proof, that officers wore them when not in full uniform as a means of self-defence when walking to the pub or past the alleys in various ports. Any proof??
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 05:44 PM   #36
fernando

Quote:
Ahh yes, that hook of yours! Tuna and mackeral had better beware! ...
Oh no, i don't mean those, my friend. I mean the one below. Kind of a weapon though

Attached Images