Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2021, 04:56 PM   #1
corrado26

Default Spanish Husar Pistol 1789

Just to show you a new addition to my collection and to ask your comments. It is as I know a miquelet pistol for the Spanish light cavalry or husars M 1789. A letter "C" at the lockplate says that it was supposedly made in Catalonia, probably at Ripoll. On its barrel besides a regimental signature there is a crowned mark with the letters "BAR/MAS" that I cannot identify - perhaps Bartolomeo Mas?. May be that somebody is able to help.
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 05:30 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I am looking in a book at a 1800 Husar pistol, with a 1789 lock. With the barrel with a crowned C for Cataluña, inscribed R. CBA.D HUSS. ESPS..But the punzon in this one is DOM-MAS (Doménech Mas, Ripoll). Could it be family ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 11:02 PM   #3
Fernando K

Ramiro Larrañaga "Sintesis Historica de la Armeria Vasca", pagina 263

"MAS Domingo - Catalan Fines del XVII y prinmcipios del XVIII. Unos sesenta armeros de este apellido aparecen en Ripoll entre los siglos XVIII y XIX"

Afectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 11:04 PM   #4
Fernando K

Perdon

Mas Domingo Catalan. Fines del........
Old 14th December 2021, 10:27 AM   #5
midelburgo

Have you dismantled it?

I got recently a 1789 pistol for the Regimiento de Caballeria de Santiago. Also the "short" model like yours.
My furniture, lock excepted is brass.

In the gilded shield at the top of the barrel I have JPP RUIZ, still unidentified.

On the bottom of the barrel, I found the year of making (1788 for me)
and the inspector mark (G for me).

On the inside of the battery there was the maker (Gabiola for me).

The Spanish Hussars were stablished, IIRC, in 1802 and they were short lived, being absorbed into the Cazadores by 1804. But do not take my word here. I can check later at home.

BTW. I found that Edwardian silver plate (nickel) spoons make fine tools for disassembling the screws.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 14th December 2021 at 12:10 PM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 01:01 PM   #6
corrado26

There have been two different versions of this pistol, the first version has iron mounts, the second has brass mounts. See Calvo, lamina 6, aparejos: En hierro!
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2021, 06:29 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K View Post
Ramiro Larrañaga "Sintesis Historica de la Armeria Vasca", pagina 263

"MAS Domingo - Catalan Fines del XVII y prinmcipios del XVIII. Unos sesenta armeros de este apellido aparecen en Ripoll entre los siglos XVIII y XIX"

Afectionately
Interesting that Fernando K reminds us that some sixty gun makers with the (family) name MAS worked in Ripoll between the 18th and 19th centuries.
Old 14th December 2021, 08:11 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
There have been two different versions of this pistol, the first version has iron mounts, the second has brass mounts. See Calvo, lamina 6, aparejos: En hierro!
Udo, can you tell where you got this 'lamina 6' image. I am reading Calvó's publication ARMAMIEMTO ESPAÑOL EN LA GUERRA DE LA INDEPEDENCIA and viewing his website CATALOGACION DE ARMAS and i can't find it.
It looks like the 1789 model is more the lock style than the pistol; there are countless pistols, even muskets, made around 1800, with little variations, some 'commercial' (comissionados), other munitions, and the 1789 name is given to the lock. Also called a la Española, with two variants, one original and the other (Placencia and Catalunia ?). Your example has a decorated ('fluted') pan that i don't see in others; maybe this is an officer commission.
Udo, i would like to know if the inscription on the barrel does include the ESPS in the end.
Old 14th December 2021, 08:15 PM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelburgo View Post
...On the inside of the battery there was the maker (Gabiola for me) ...
Wouldn't you agree that, if your lock was GABIOLA, this master's name (and punzon) would appear on the outside, as so often seen ? .

Old 15th December 2021, 01:37 AM   #10
midelburgo

I made some telephone pictures the other day.
As I said, in the 1789 cavalry pistol model there are makings at the bottom of the barrel, hidden by the wood, and in the inner side of the lock.

I checked a Spanish Army State for 1805. Most Hussar regiments were formed in 1802 and changed into cazadores in 1805, but the one referred in here (husares españoles) was formed in 1794 and it still existed in 1805.
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2021, 07:41 AM   #11
corrado26

Here come some additional fotos of the marks at the barrel and the lock inside, the end of the narrel regimental marking and the title of Calvo's book as well as the drawing of the Husar pistol 1789. The script at the lock's inside reads TORENTO
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2021, 07:53 AM   #12
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Udo, can you tell where you got this 'lamina 6' image. I am reading Calvó's publication ARMAMIEMTO ESPAÑOL EN LA GUERRA DE LA INDEPEDENCIA and viewing his website CATALOGACION DE ARMAS and i can't find it.
In a further book of Juan L. Calvo "Armamentos de Municion en las Fuerzas Armadas Espanolas" you can find other drawings and description of the Husar-pistol 1789 under N°26C
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2021, 07:54 AM   #13
corrado26

q
Old 15th December 2021, 08:23 AM   #14
midelburgo

The number 17 at the barrel and at the screw that closes the barrel end is also incised in the wood. I supose it is an assembling code. (194 for Corrado´s pistol).

I have the 2004 JL Calvo book since September, but I have hardly look at it. I supose it superseeds the one from the 1970s.

I checked another Spanish Army Status from 1815 and the Regimiento de Husares Españoles (with another two) still existed in 1815.

Last edited by midelburgo; 15th December 2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 15th December 2021, 11:14 AM   #15
fernando

Quote:
... As I said, in the 1789 cavalry pistol model there are makings at the bottom of the barrel, hidden by the wood, and in the inner side of the lock.
Gabiola punzon, no doubt. Surprising that it is in that place. There must be a reason for that.

Quote:
... Most Hussar regiments were formed in 1802 and changed into cazadores in 1805, but the one referred in here (husares españoles) was formed in 1794 and it still existed in 1805.
Yes, created in 1794, had its first formation in 1795. In 1815 was camped in Murcia and in 1818 was disbanded and back into Cavalry.
You may also read in Calvó's website that, although this regiment was created before the others, was named the 6th Husares, for the anger of its Colonel, Marques del Palacio whom, after having his request denied for it to be named the 1st, as having been the first to be created, had the regiment's banners stamped with the words, in Greek idiom, First and Sixth, so as to be known that it was instituded as 6º but 1st. in creation. Amazing story.
Old 15th December 2021, 11:25 AM   #16
fernando

Quote:
... I have the 2004 JL Calvo book since September, but I have hardly look at it. I supose it superseeds the one from the 1970s....
Mine is the 2008 edition; which i had the privilege to have him signing and sent to me in 2011.
Old 15th December 2021, 11:28 AM   #17
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
...In a further book of Juan L. Calvo "Armamentos de Municion en las Fuerzas Armadas Espanolas" you can find other drawings and description of the Husar-pistol 1789 under N°26C ...
Thank you Udo. Same guns, with shorter or longer texts.
Old 15th December 2021, 12:00 PM   #18
midelburgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Gabiola punzon, no doubt. Surprising that it is in that place. There must be a reason for that.
It seems the usual way for these pistols. Maybe in order to protect the mark from powder corrosion instead of covering it with thin gold.

This one is of the long model (lock marked inside DCIARAN, but not shown:

https://matchlock.fr/producto/pistol...-fechada-1789/

Below my pistol of the Regimiento de Santiago.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 15th December 2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 15th December 2021, 12:09 PM   #19
Fernando K

Hola

Me voy a permitir hablar en español, para entender mejor a Calvo. Habla de "pistolas de municion" Alguno podria interpretar que disparaba municion (Como los cartuchos de escopeta). Lo que Calvo quiere expresar es que es munida (del verbo MUNIR que significa proveer) lo mismo que reglamentaria, de ordenanza.

Asimismo, las llaves de 24C, 25C y 27C, son llaves de miquelete a las 3 modas, porque la cazoleta tiene incorporada a la brida del rastrillo, y su resorte esta fijado como en el miquelete a la romana. A diferencia de la llave de 26C, que es un mniquelete clasico, con el resorte del rastrillo escondido detras de la brida (postiza)

afectuosamente
Old 15th December 2021, 12:14 PM   #20
midelburgo

Yo por municion entiendo tropa, lo mismo que hay espadas de municion y petos de municion.

No se cual es la diferencia exacta con pistolas de oficiales. Posiblemente el escudo de laton?
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2021, 02:12 PM   #21
Fernando K

Hello

Regarding the pistol of post number 18, the signature of the key (lock) corresponds to Domingo Ziaran

Ramiro Larrañaga "Historical Synthesis of the Basque Armory", page 238

ZIARAN, Domingo Ignacio de - Chispero (lock maker) Placencia 1787

In addition, it names Antonio, Bartolome Fernando Jose Manuel, Mateo, Ramon.

Affectionately
Old 15th December 2021, 04:04 PM   #22
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K View Post

In addition, it names Antonio, Bartolome Fernando Jose Manuel, Mateo, Ramon.
Thanks a lot