Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Spunjer

Kai,
quite frankly, i didn't paid that much attention at the inlays; i was more enamored with the naga on the blade. overall, i thought it was pretty consistent with barungs during the first quarter of the 20th century
drac2k,
thanks! unfortunately, a few of those are no longer a part of my collection.
as far as the barung, i really thought i won that, haha. only after i got my summary did i found out i didn't.
the panabas was another piece i had my sight on. it was a beauty! again, the main reason why i wanted the panabas was because of the naga on the blade. and yes, unfortunately it went too rich for my blood, lol
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 04:11 AM   #2
drac2k

There were so many items at that auction that I thought I might get and was unable to and this one I didn't think I had a chance and I got it. I have had the same experience that you have had several times in regards to having the high bid when the auction has ended, been shown as the winner, only to refresh the screen, to see that it has been awarded to a lower bidder. It was the only item that I got.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 06:50 PM   #3
kai

Hello Ron,

Quote:
i didn't paid that much attention at the inlays; i was more enamored with the naga on the blade. overall, i thought it was pretty consistent with barungs during the first quarter of the 20th century
Drac's blade is tough to read from pics. However, I thought about it probably being 19th c. and the scabbard + hilt restoration possibly being pre-WW2, or so.

I'm pretty sure the barung hilt I showed in post #7 is 19th c. (as mentioned above, I believe this hilt style might have been the first to receive MOP inlays already during the 19th c.). The pommel was crafted from high quality banati wood (with much later repairs).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote