Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Posting volume

As most here are aware, I have been writing on this forum for many years, and in that time have held several titles, being very proud to have been asked to moderate this forum. It is becoming apparant already that the often very noticeable situation of my name being present quite a lot in threads and posts is manifesting rather quickly.

For many years even before writing on these forums I was deeply empassioned by the study of arms and armour, actually for more years than I can say exactly. I wanted to learn everything I could about them, and as I began collecting I anxiously tried to learn from every collector I met, bought every book I could afford and find, and began writing to museums and authors of the books I bought. I learned very early that knowledge is by far the most important weapon in any collectors armoury!!!

My days of actual collecting are now past, but my passion for researching, studying and learning on weapons has heightened constantly. With this being my focus, I am extremely proactive in responding and often writing in some detail with my findings as I research weapons that are posted. I would like to explain that my purpose is not to be 'omnipresent' nor to present myself as any sort of expert or authority on any weapon or field of study, but to share information in hopes of encouraging further discussion and for others to respond in kind.

I sincerely want this forum to develop into a resource valuable to collectors and scholars interesting in advancing the serious study of arms and armour. I am very enthusiastic about the participation of the members here, many specializing in other fields, and with outstanding knowledge of arms and armour overall. Perhaps this forum will encourage interest in collecting in this broad scope, and hopefully new members with shared interests....whatever the case, here we all learn together!

I have always been adversely moved by threads and posts that stand unanswered, and my position has always been if it is something I do not know much about (a very, very broad field indeed for me!!) I will hit the books and find what I can, then share it openly, hoping that others will do the same and other resources will be combined.

These are the reasons why my name often might be seen in sometimes embarrassing profusion.....I really don't want my name in lights!!
I want this forum to explode with participation, so when you see my name in multiples...please fire at will!!!! Make it disappear by posting!

You guys are the best, and I'm looking forward to seeing this forum join our other forums in being the best in these fields of study.

Thank you Gentlemen,

Sincerely,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Atlantia

Jim,
I am extremely happy to see this forum added.
I find your posts informative, often educational and not to forget, kind and welcoming to newbies such as myself.
I seriously doubt anyone could think for a second that you ever just 'post for the sake of posting'.
Keep up the good work!

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 08:48 PM   #3
kronckew

we learn by sharing and discussion, the more posts the merrier. keep up the good work.

-wayne
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Atlantia and Kronckew, thank you guys! I'm really glad this forum is here too, and it appears that it is very well received with the number of threads and topics. I'm more than pleased to see so much knowledge brought forth here on ever increasing field of topics, and enjoy learning together!

All very best regards,
Jim
Old 16th September 2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Jeff D

Hi Jim,

I apologize for being so slow to publically congratulate yourself, Ed and Lee for starting this new forum. I really believe it is a great asset. I have been lurking and following a number of threads, but unfortunately I cannot add anything. I have looked up a number of topics but haven't found anything definitive. I will keep looking. I made a new years resolution only to post when I have something definite to add. I personally appreciate your contributions as they alway add to the topic even if it is a well thought out guess, you knowledge and experience makes it so. I feel the same about many regular contributors on this site. I would post as much you guys if I could. I suppose I should post if only to let you know that you are being read.

So if I can vote, it would be for you to keep it up and maybe a few more .

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff, its really great to see you here! and thank you for the kind words. Over the years on many unusual items and topics, I've looked forward to your take on whatever is at hand, as I know you carefully check your facts and sources before posting. Just the same, I also know that by that characteristic, which actually seems a hallmark of many of those here as well, we have all acquired a well structured core of knowledge in learning together. I feel like I've been in a fantastic course in the study of arms and armour with you and the others as friends and fellow students for years now, and hopefully years to come!!

Thank you for coming in, and as always, looking very much forward to your posts!

All the very best,
Jim