Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 5th January 2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Victrix

Default 18thC Austro-Hungarian hussar sabre

I brought a souvenir back with me from Vienna, Austria. It’s an 18thC Austro-Hungarian hussar sabre with scabbard. The sword is overall 90cm in length, the blade is 76.5cm long and 3.8cm wide at the forte. The blade is sharpened on one side with a false edge on the other. On one side the blade has a picture of a Madonna standing on a half-moon with the inscription ”Maria Mater Dei Patrona Hungariea sub tuum Presidium Confugio.” The other side of the blade shows a two-armed cross with the inscription ”In hoc Signo vinces” and ”Deus Exercituum Belator Fortissime estomecum.” Wagner’s Cut & Thrust Weapons shows a similar sabre on p.407, which is engraved ”Pottenstein” on the back edge. This sabre has four dots engraved there instead. The pommel shows a peened tang which I haven’t seen before, as the end is usually covered by a little brass shield. This could mean that the hilt has been reworked? The blade is firmly attached to the hilt with no movement or gaps. The sabre hilt and blade show obvious wear.

Any comments are welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by Victrix; 5th January 2018 at 04:29 PM.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
corrado26

Very nice husar sabre indeed. Congratulations
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Victrix

Many thanks Corrado. I had a fabulous time in Vienna. Highly recommended for Christmas vacation.

I found a similar sabre with a concave knuckleguard in the Heeresgeschichtliches museum (Military museum). At first I thought the hilt had received a knock, but apparently that is the style. Also interesting to see the red felt washer. I intend to give the sabre a gentle cleanup and make a washer for it to give it a dash of colour.
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Jon MB

Bravo! Very nice!
Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 06:28 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Very nice acquisition indeed!

I wouldn't add the washer but... your sword, your call.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB
Bravo! Very nice!
Many thanks for your kind comment, Jon.
Old 10th January 2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
The pommel shows a peened tang which I haven’t seen before, as the end is usually covered by a little brass shield. This could mean that the hilt has been reworked?
I dont think so. The riveting looks original and it is quite difficult to make a proper riveting on a sword or saber. This needs a lot of practise. It requires a special technique with the hammer, which I cannot describe in English (a kind of drawn hit, which is very difficult to make). Experts can judge by the riveting whether it is original or not. A perfect riveting has a shape like a bell.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Victrix

Thank you for your kind comment mariusgmioc. I already have red felt material so will make a washer to see what it looks like. It easily slips on and off and is simple to make.
Old 10th January 2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Victrix

Many thanks for your comment Roland. Interesting to hear your view on the handicraft. I wish we knew more about these artisans: who they were, how they worked, etc. I took another photo to show two similar Austro-Hungarian sabres but with quite different pommels. One shows the tang rivet whereas the other one seems concealed behind a little shield. That’s why I thought the hilt on the left might have been reworked? But maybe it’s just two different styles?
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Roland_M

Hi Victrix,

in my opinion your riveting is original.

Here are two examples from my collection, one French chasseur saber and one massive Cuirassier Sword. Looks very similar to your example.

The Cuirassier sword got a perfect riveting. Everything is 100% fixed in place after almost 200 years.

Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Victrix

Hi Roland,

I think you are most likely correct. The Austro-Hungarian sabres have quite different designed pommels compared to the French swords, but I checked with Wagner’s Cut & Thrust Weapons and some sabres show tang rivets and some don’t.

The sabre on the left is estimated to be from around 1740 and the one on the right from around 1790. Below I post a photo of a Hungarian sabre from around 1650 which shows a similar teardrop shaped cap on the pommel with a tang rivet. So I think you are most likely correct.
Attached Images