Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2016, 11:48 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Default NZ Maori items at the Christchurch NZ Museum

The Christchurch Museum has a nice display of Maori items which are worh sharing. VANDOO on a recent visit to New Zealand and I spend a couple of days here. There is also a nice display of Japanese items which I will post later.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:51 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
The Christchurch Museum has a nice display of Maori items which are worh sharing. VANDOO on a recent visit to New Zealand and I spend a couple of days here. There is also a nice display of Japanese items which I will post later.
Stu
More pics
Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Stu, is that a whale bone Taiaha in the weapons and warfare photo? Unless you collected one of those whale rib bone clubs way back in the first half of the 20th century, to get one now you would rich.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 23rd May 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:49 PM   #4
corrado26

I am an examined expert on European military firearms of the 16th to 19th century and I never had any connections to ethnographic arms and the like. But the longer I am a member of this forum and the longer I see the very interesting items from all over the world the more I like the art and craft of these things.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:40 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Stu, is that a whale bone Taiaha in the weapons and warfare photo? Unless you collected one of those whale rib bone clubs way back in the first half of the 20th century, to get one now you would rich.
Yes Tim it is whale bone, as are the items in the last but 2 pics.
Stu
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:32 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAD A GREAT TRIP AND ENJOYED MEETING STU AND LOOKING AROUND CHRISTCHURCH WITH HIM. ITS GREAT TO MEET A KINDRED SPIRIT AND SEE THEIR COLLECTION AND WANDER AROUND THEIR HOME TERRITORY WITH THEM. THANKS TO STU AND BEV FOR BEING SUCH GOOD HOSTS I HAD FUN. I EVEN FOUND A FEW ITEMS TO ADD TO MY COLLECTION THANKS TO STU.
THERE ARE TWO WHALEBONE WEAPONS IN THE DISPLAY THE SHORT TAIHITA AND THE LONGER MORE OBVIOUS BONE WEAPON. THIS DISPLAY HAS ALL THE DIFFERENT FORMS OF MAORI LONG WEAPONS AT THE TOP PORTION AND THE SHORT FORMS AT THE BOTTOM. THE MUSEUM IN CHRISTCHURCH IS QUITE GOOD AND THE DISPLAYS WELL PLANNED AND LAID OUT WITH GOOD INFORMATION. THE PICTURES WITH THE BLACK BACKGROUNDS ARE TOOLS OF THE MORIORI TRIBE WHO LIVED ON AN ISLAND AND WERE NOT WARLIKE LIKE THE OTHER TRIBES. THEY SUFFERED GREATLY THRU OUT THEIR HISTORY BUT SOME HAVE SURVIVED. MOST OF THE ITEMS ARE MADE OF WHALEBONE. IT WAS INTERESTING AS I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THEM.
PICTURE #1 & #2 CLOSEUPS OF LONG WEAPONS AT THE BOTTOM ROW IN THE CASE, PICTURE #3. VARIOUS OCEANIC SPEARS WITH A FOSSIL IRISH ELK SKELETON. #4. CLOSE UP OF SOME SHORT CLUBS SOME WHALEBONE. #5. MAORI SHORT FIGHTING AXES
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 23rd May 2016 at 10:16 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 08:29 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Thanks Barry for adding the other pics and thanks for your kind comments to my wife and me. We really enjoyed meeting you and showing you around our little patch.
Stu
Old 24th May 2016, 06:51 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Once again, thanks Barry for posting these great pics!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote