Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Gustav

Default Figural horn (possibly rhino) hilt

This week a hilt was auctioned, possibly made from rhino horn, and possibly from 17th cent. There are only 3 figural 16th/17th cent. horn hilts from european collections shown in Jensens Krisdisk - in Vienna (which is rhino for sure), Firenze, Dresden, so they are more rare then similar ivory hilts.

Two pictures of it for posterity.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 10:14 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I can't speak for sure to either the age nor material of this piece (though it doesn't have quite the wear and patina that i would expect from a 17th century hilt), but it is indeed lovely. I do hope that whoever won this auction has the wherewithal to undo the mad glue-man's atrocious and sloppy adhesive mischief.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Gustav

Regarding wear, the most sensitive place on these hilts is the nose, and here it is very similar to some wooden specimens from Krisdisk.
Old 17th April 2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Sajen

Hello Gustav,

I've followed the auction as well and think like you that the hilt is carved from rhino horn and think that we are not the only ones by the reached price. And I am also sure that the hilt have a very good age. Are you the winner of the auction? If so, good luck for removing the glue.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 03:28 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Regarding wear, the most sensitive place on these hilts is the nose, and here it is very similar to some wooden specimens from Krisdisk.
Actually, from my experience the place on these buta hilts that tend to receive the most amount of wear is along the backside as this is the area most often positioned into the palm of the hand when holding the hilt. You can see the extensive wear in this very old example from my collection below.
Of course we can only use wear as guide to age in a very approximate fashion and in the end it all depends on how much any particular piece has been handled in its lifetime. If it was collected early in its life and taken out of daily use it could still be old and not show as much wear. But it is really impossible to tell one way or the other, isn't it? I don't see any particular indicators in the style of this buta hilt that would definitively place it in the 17th century. Carvers have been producing this right up into the 20th century, though perhaps not in rhino horn. I can see why you suspect it might be rhino, but for me at least, i would not say that a definitive conclusion could be reached on that assessment based solely on these two photographs. It's a shame we don't have more detailed shots, especially a good close-up looking down on the grain from the top. Otherwise i think we are only guessing at this material. Hopefully, if the auction price went high on this piece as , the winner's gamble was rewarded.
Attached Images

Old 17th April 2016, 10:11 PM   #6
Gustav

[QUOTE=David]

I don't see any particular indicators in the style of this buta hilt that would definitively place it in the 17th century. Carvers have been producing this right up into the 20th century, though perhaps not in rhino horn.

QUOTE]

David, I have studied the kerisses and their hilts from old Kunstkammer collections for some years now, have visited many museum magazines in the last years and have seen and handled most of them. We have a very limited amount of pre-1700 hilts, perhaps less then a percent of figural hilts ever made let's say from 1500 to 1670, so each of them is singular and has sometimes quite unexpected features. Nevertheless, there are some indicators, which are typical for early figural hilts and doesn't appear on later Pasisir figural hilts, and this particular hilt has many of them. One of the keys is the symbolism within the Tumpal, and the state of development of the reversed Tumpal under the feet of the figure. Also modern replicas of these hilts mostly fail in reproduction of one very important feature.

Please take a close look at Chapter Banten in Krisdisk (attention to the noses, when a hilt is depicted en profile )
Old 18th April 2016, 02:12 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

In Jawa people tend to regard wear to the back of the head as a sure sign of age in a figural hilt, and the corresponding part of other hilts is normally the place they look at if trying to guess at age of a hilt.

I tend to agree with this, but I also recognise that protruding parts of a figural hilt face do mostly show wear on older hilts.

As to material, yes, it might be rhino horn --- it does look like it in the photo --- but I've seen this same sort of grained surface in hilts that were taken as kerbau (water buffalo) horn, ones that were old and dried out. I might even have an example at home, I'll see if I can find one in a couple of weeks.

Gustav, could you please expand on the these comments in your post #6 :-

1) there are some indicators, which are typical for early figural hilts and doesn't appear on later Pasisir figural hilts, and this particular hilt has many of them

2) One of the keys is the symbolism within the Tumpal, and the state of development of the reversed Tumpal under the feet of the figure

3) Also modern replicas of these hilts mostly fail in reproduction of one very important feature

Thanks
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 09:25 AM   #8
Jean

I agree that the materials look like rhino horn but it should be confirmed in the hand.
Regarding the indicators mentioned by Gustav differentating this hilt from the modern ones, I see 4 of them:
. The shape of the worn-out nose with distinct nostrils.
. The earlobes (or earrings) have a different shape than on the modern hilts.
. The small carving above the tumpal motif on the front depicts the male organs according to Jensen.
. The carving at the base of the tumpal motif depicts the female organ according to Jensen.
Accordingly I believe that this hilt is very old.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 18th April 2016 at 09:35 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Gustav

Thank you Detlef and Jean.

Alan, I will think about 1) and 2), yet I absolutely wouldn't like to answer the last one.

Today I received an e-mail with four pictures.
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2016, 11:45 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Gustav.

Jean, I would be extremely reluctant to identify the form of the nose, or of the ears, or of any other part of this hilt as indicative of age.

Why?

Because current era carvings of this hilt form are, in general, copies of earlier hilts, sometimes fragmented earlier hilts, but those earlier hilts themselves were again copies of hilts that came down from a previous time.

The cheap modern productions that we generally see are turned out like Bali art carvings, but the high quality hilts made by m'ranggis use patterns and models that have been in the craftsman's family for generations. Certainly, these vary, but they vary in accordance with what one m'ranngi's family carves, as opposed to what another family carves.

Yes, the an acceptable reading of the abstraction between the figure's knees is of his reproductive organs, however, we must never forget that we are dealing with a society that is based upon death and renewal, so the way in which this symbolism is read can often be a little bit too simplistic.

When we consider the tumpal it is important to understand that an upright tumpal is representative of the gunungan and all associated icons, and also of the male element. The inverted tumpal is symbolic of the female element. The small yoni inserted in the base of the tumpal completes the Hindu-Javanese iconography of the Lingga-Yoni.

There are a number of ways that this symbolism can be interpreted, but it is perhaps sufficient to recognise that it is representive of Siwa's Shakti, Siwa himself being represented by the gunungan.

As a complete entity of lingga-yoni we have the symbolism of continual renewal --- plus a whole heap of other symbols.

What I've written above is all well known, nothing new or special there, but Gustav's words intrigued me, so I eagerly await his response.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Thank you Detlef and Jean.

Alan, I will think about 1) and 2), yet I absolutely wouldn't like to answer the last one.

Today I received an e-mail with four pictures.
Post deleted.

Last edited by Jean; 18th April 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 18th April 2016, 12:20 PM   #12
kai

Exclamation

Folks, we have been through this already several times: From the pics supplied so far, there is no chance whatsoever to verify wether this hilt is made from rhino or waterbuffalo horn! We really need a close-up of a cross-section of the fibers, i. e. the top of the head or possibly the base of the hilt also.

We can argue about likelihoods but this never positively prooves anything for any given piece. Actually, the current pics make me feel albino water buffalo - I agree that the alternative is also plausible though...

Thanks a lot for those pics, Gustav! Could you please try to get additional ones? I also wouldn't mind better quality pics of the other parts of this keris...

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 18th April 2016 at 12:54 PM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 12:38 PM   #13
kai

Question

Hello Alan,

Quote:
the high quality hilts made by m'ranggis use patterns and models that have been in the craftsman's family for generations. Certainly, these vary, but they vary in accordance with what one m'ranngi's family carves, as opposed to what another family carves.
Do you possibly have any examples (carved during the last 100-200 years by traditional mranggi families) of these archaic styles/patterns that appear to be characteristic of the "Kunstkammer" keris? While I realize that traditional pre-WW2 (or possibly even extant) hilt carving is (often) based on very old patterns, I have gained the impression that the early hilts had features that got obsolete (possibly culturally inappropiate or, less likely, merely out of fashion) in the following centuries.

As Gustav (and Karsten) already pointed out, there are only a few extant examples that appear to be early collected. If you know of any similar ones from later periods, this would certainly be really important for the current working hyotheses.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 18th April 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 18th April 2016, 05:08 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Kai, here are a couple of examples which i am sure have been carved within the last 100 years. To my eye you can still see aspects of the lingam/yoni symbolism in the tumpals carved here.
I am also including a front shot of the older example i showed earlier for a comparison of the tumpals used there. I am uncertain of the actual age of this hilt.
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2016, 05:13 PM   #15
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
The materials is translucent on these pics so it definitely looks to be rhino horn.
Regards
Jean, i have both white and green buffalo horn that is also translucent. I don't believe we can use that as an indicator of rhino horn. Again, i am not trying to argue that this cannot be rhino, simple that we do not have the type of photographs yet that can provide any definitive answer to that question.
Old 18th April 2016, 05:20 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks a lot for those pics, Gustav! Could you please try to get additional ones? I also wouldn't mind better quality pics of the other parts of this keris...
Hello Kai,

here two more pictures from the auction.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 08:54 PM   #17
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
here two more pictures from the auction.
Thanks! I was hoping for additional pics, better resolution (despite the auction pics being better than from many auction houses), from other angles, or after cleaning/warangan since Gustav may have the opportunity...

Regards,
Kai
Old 18th April 2016, 10:15 PM   #18
A. G. Maisey

I don't know if I have any hilts like that Kai. I have never commissioned any, that much I do know, I tried to order a couple once, but I could not negotiate what I thought was a reasonable price, so I let it go.

I'm not at home at the moment, when I get back I'll have a look and see what I have that might be relevant to this discussion. I need to look through what I have, because I have far too many hilts to remember them all.
Old 19th April 2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jean, i have both white and green buffalo horn that is also translucent. I don't believe we can use that as an indicator of rhino horn. Again, i am not trying to argue that this cannot be rhino, simple that we do not have the type of photographs yet that can provide any definitive answer to that question.
Hello David and Kai,
Could you please show us a hilt made from white or green buffalo horn and having a similar color to the one shown by Gustav?
Regards
Old 19th April 2016, 12:11 PM   #20
kai

Hello Jean,

Sorry for the brisk comment. A search on the main forum will yield a bunch of threads covering the identification of horn.

Quote:
Could you please show us a hilt made from white or green buffalo horn and having a similar color to the one shown by Gustav?
Here some examples from albino water buffalo:

(The greenish variants tend to be a bit darker, of course.)

Regards,
Kai
Old 19th April 2016, 12:13 PM   #21
kai

Quote:
I'll have a look and see what I have that might be relevant to this discussion. I need to look through what I have, because I have far too many hilts to remember them all.
Thanks, Alan, that would be kind!

Regards,
Kai
Old 19th April 2016, 01:20 PM   #22
kai

Thumbs up

Hello David,

Quote:
here are a couple of examples which i am sure have been carved within the last 100 years. To my eye you can still see aspects of the lingam/yoni symbolism in the tumpals carved here.
Yes, these 2 do qualify as modern. Very similar workmanship, indeed.

While it is evident that these are offspring of the old style hilts, it's not about the similarity (nor quality of workmanship) but rather differences in detail.

Quote:
I am also including a front shot of the older example i showed earlier for a comparison of the tumpals used there. I am uncertain of the actual age of this hilt.
Thanks, a really nice one! This "man in green" style makes it even more difficult to place (and the wear doesn't help either to discern details).

We need close-ups from all sides of this hilt for analysis. It might be older than you think...

Regards,
Kai
Old 19th April 2016, 01:21 PM   #23
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Jean,

Sorry for the brisk comment. A search on the main forum will yield a bunch of threads covering the identification of horn.
(The greenish variants tend to be a bit darker, of course.)

Regards,
Kai
Thank you Kai. I rarely look at the main forum so I did not see these pics. I agree that the identification is confusing although the color of the rhino horn seems darker (mid brown), and I am more familiar with the green horn which is quite different.
Regards
Old 19th April 2016, 02:56 PM   #24
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Yes, these 2 do qualify as modern. Very similar workmanship, indeed.
While it is evident that these are offspring of the old style hilts, it's not about the similarity (nor quality of workmanship) but rather differences in detail.
Well, i only posted these hilts because Gustav seemed to be implying that the lingam/yoni symbolism is not to be found in the tumpal of "modern" versions of these hilts. While stylized i maintain that symbolism is indeed present in these examples. I have seen many other more modern versions where it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks, a really nice one! This "man in green" style makes it even more difficult to place (and the wear doesn't help either to discern details).
We need close-ups from all sides of this hilt for analysis. It might be older than you think...
I don't really want to detract from this thread too much by posting a series of images of this hilt. While worn it does seem to also incorporate the lingam/yoni into the tumpal. However, i have posted all sides of it before so you can check this thread out if you want a closer look. I am aware that it is pretty old.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=buta+hilt
Old 20th April 2016, 10:35 AM   #25
Gustav

As Jean and Kai pointed out, the devil is in the details. The details of eyes, eyebrows, ears, hair, fingers and so on are extremely important. I never would judge the age of a hilt by only one indicator, yet the total allows an opinion.

I am very sorry, yet I am reluctant to go into the smaller details, because I have no interest to participate in or to sponsor the indonesian Keris business.

Regarding more recent carvings (thank you David), I would say, the presentation of Lingga-Yoni symbolism differs from the old depictions on Bungkul of a hilt. I would even say, in more recent times this symbolism mostly is not understood by the carver, just the ornaments depicted, or the degree of "hiding" a symbol is a completely other one.

Regarding the symbolism within Tumpal, there is another important component, the Lotus blossom. "In the esoteric vajrayana-buddhism it signifies the female principle or the female genitals (as a substitute for the hindu yoni - Liebert, Iconographic Dictionary of the Indian Religions). In fact, the state of dissolution of Yoni-Lotus motif / the state of Tumpal motif as general arrangement for ornaments on Bungkul is a very important indicator for the stage of development and thus the approximate age of a hilt.

Regarding the material, I even doubt, if most of us would recognize it, when held in hand. The appearance of rhino horn can be very different, along with it comes the degree of polish and the age (I have the feeling, they become denser with age and you can't recognize the end grains well anymore). There is a big collection of 17th cent. chinese drinking horns in Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, and there are remarkable differences in appearance of the material. Of course, also because the chinese used horn of all three rhino species which lived in Asia. The very tip of the head of rhino hilt from Vienna (surely 17th cent., possibly much earlier) is covered with a small cap made from gold and gems, yet next to it you don't see any end grains.
Old 20th April 2016, 01:00 PM   #26
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for your informative response Gustav.

I understand your reasons for not wanting to expand upon what you have already written. I'm sure that some people will be disappointed by this, but I am equally sure that your decision has been taken after due consideration.

Regrettably I am presently unable to verify exactly what Liebert published in his list of Sanskrit terms, but if he mentioned only the lotus blossom as a substitution for the lingga/yoni, he was quite incorrect --- in spite of his eminence. In Tantric Buddhism (Vajrayana Buddhism) the blossom of the lotus can in some instances be interpreted as a substitution for the yoni, it is the stem of the lotus that can be interpreted as the lingga, thus, in Tantric symbolism when it is intended that the lotus be understood in a similar way to that in which the lingga/yoni is understood, the blossom must be accompanied by the stem. I am uncertain if this reading was applicable to Tantrism as it was practiced in Hindu Jawa. It may have been, but the evidence that I can recall seems to point to the more usual interpretations of the lotus, even amongst practitioners of Tantrism.

Actually, there are quite a lot of interpretations in the Hindu-Buddhist realm for the lotus, and it is not at all difficult to err when we attempt to understand exactly how a lotus in a particular place and time was intended to be understood.

Moreover, it is important to remember that the foundation symbolism in the Javanese keris is twofold:- the link to ancestor worship, and the link to the worship of Siwa (Shiva). These two ideologies join together and are expressed through the Gunungan. Any reading of the symbolism to be found in the Javanese keris must be done from a base of Javanese understanding within the applicable time frame. We cannot take mainstream religious understandings and expect that these can be used to understand the way in which beliefs, symbols and practices were understood in Hindu-Jawa. So, although we may believe that it is valid to interpret some symbol according to an understanding held in a different place, and at a different time, we must question this belief if it does not fit comfortably with the beliefs and practices that were current in Jawa prior to Islamic domination.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we not discussing this matter in terms of 16th century Jawa?

When did the Islamic domination of Jawa really start to get rolling?

Perhaps we should ask ourselves if any mention of Tantrism is at all relevant at that time in Javanese history.

When we consider the iconography of Old Javanese art, there is also the necessity to take into account the interpretations of individual craftsmen, particularly so when we realise that keris and other dagger hilts in early Jawa were sometimes, possibly often, carved by their owners, not by craftsmen dedicated to the work.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 20th April 2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Gustav was offended by my initial comment
Old 20th April 2016, 09:39 PM   #27
Gustav

[QUOTE=A. G. Maisey]

Thank you for your illuminating and considered response Gustav.

I do understand your reluctance to share your knowledge with us, and I am certain you have brought tears to the eyes of many who were so eagerly awaiting your revelations.

QUOTE]

Alan, why such attitude?

I know, that you don't need any answers (as the thread "The Size of the Keris" clearly showed), and if, then only as a stage to demonstrate for another time your superior knowledge, superior ability to articulate and some other abilities.

Your posts in this thread are implying, that you most probably don't pay much attention to iconographical elements of 16th/17th cent. javanese figural hilts, to possible correspondences in East Javanese and Ming art, developments and dissolutions of these elements in later hilts, to the analysis of these elements.

Well, it's also a way.

Instead, in your last post, you deny that Tantric symbolism is still present in 16th/17th cent. javanese figural hilts. If the hilt carvers of today share your view, it's understandable, why the copies of old hilts are mostly quite well distinguishable.

Nevertheless, in your post #7 you are asking me to expand on comments about:

1) some indicators, which are typical for early figural hilts and doesn't appear on later Pasisir figural hilts, and this particular hilt has many of them

2) symbolism within the Tumpal, and the state of development of the reversed Tumpal under the feet of the figure

3) one very important feature, in which modern replicas of these hilts mostly fail.

I must say, you have always been very reluctant to answer such kind of direct questions in the past, and I have learned, that such questions, and especially from you, mostly are provocations. And they also once more let me think about your proximity with hilt carvers.

To the hilt - in my initial post I wrote: possibly 17th cent. and possibly rhino horn. Judging by the execution of iconographical details (unfortunately not by the proper javanese indicator of age) it could be one. There most probably will be no possibility to be certain about the material, yet - if it is an old one, it would be something very rare even if made from Kerbau horn, because there are only three other figural 16th/17th cent. javanese hilts published, and perhaps a couple more in private collections.

I suppose, the blade it came with doesn't really belong to the context, because of the amount of glue used to secure this ensemble. I also wouldn't expect such work from Indonesia, unless it was done by a blind person under time pressure.

Last edited by Gustav; 20th April 2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 21st April 2016, 01:05 AM   #28
A. G. Maisey

Gustav, as soon as I noted your response to my supposedly offensive comments, I attempted to rectify the misunderstanding of intent, however, the further comments that you yourself have indulged yourself in, I myself find to be unworthy of you. After reflection, I have come to the conclusion that there is a degree in confusion, or perhaps misunderstanding floating around here, so in an attempt to bring things back onto a congenial footing I offer the following:-

Please accept my apologies if my comments have offended you Gustav.
I had no intention of causing offence, I did have the intention of writing in a light hearted manner, because I personally do not regard much of this present discussion as having a lot of depth, however, I do realise that not everybody may feel the same way as I do, so I have tried as best I can to keep the ball rolling --- so to speak.

In fact, the words to which you seem to have taken offence are pretty much exactly what I would say in a situation where I was face to face with you, and in my country, between friends, those words would be understood as gentle bantering.

I acknowledge that I made an error in my choice of words, and I again aplogise for any and all offence I may have given. The spoken word does not always have the same effect when written, as it does when spoken, especially so when the exchange is across cultures.

The misunderstood words have been removed and less poetic ones have been substituted.

~~~~~

Gustav, your claim that I don't need any answers is totally incorrect, just as is your perception that I use this Forum as a parade ground.

In fact, when I ask a question, I need as many answers as I can get, most especially so when I believe that the person whom I have asked can provide knowledge that I do not have, or a way of understanding something, that is different to my own. This is often the case with somebody who has an interest in a subject and who has gained his understanding or knowledge from sources at variance with my own sources.

In the matter of the additional information that I requested, and that you refused to provide, I will make this further comment:-

I know you to be a very intelligent and diligent observer. I know that you sometimes see things that I do not, and that you sometimes remember things that I do not. I also know that you sometimes interpret things in a way that is at variance with my own understandings. Because of your personal attributes, and of your completely different educational sources I often find your observations and opinions to be useful.

In respect of the interpretation of Javanese iconography, it is true that I try to understand Javanese symbols in ways that could be acceptable a Javanese mind of the relevant time. The greater part of my life has been given over to attempting to gain a limited ability to do this, as a consequence I do not try to interpret Javanese iconography in accordance with Chinese, Indian, Persian, or European understandings.

For example, I ask you to consider the Javanese representation of the well known Singo Barong. Just exactly where does this symbol originate, and how is it understood in its society of origin, in comparison with the way it is understood in Jawa and Bali?

The exchanges over time between Jawa and many other societies are well known, and well documented, as is the inescapable fact that when Jawa accepts anything at all from outside Javanese culture, it takes that element, whatever it may be, gives it a good shake, mixes it with a few local spices, and turns it into something that would not be recognised in the place where it originated.

Now, Tantrism in Jawa.
Gustav, what some people regard as Tantrism is still present at a grass roots level in Jawa right now, and nobody can deny that it was definitely present at the time of the Kingdom of Singasari.

But is it Tantrism, or is it a way of understanding that is indigenous to Jawa?

Sooner or later Tantrism seems to make its appearance in some keris related discussions, which is to a degree perfectly understandable. However, when we consider the question of Tantric symbolism in post 14th century Jawa I believe that we need to try to understand that symbolism in the context of the time of production, not in the context of the time of origin of the symbol.

Time alters perception.

That which was so yesterday is not necessarily so today.

To look at a symbol, identify it as Tantric --- or for that matter anything else --- and immediately attach all the interpretations attributed to it at the time of its birth as a symbol, is a very simplistic and very often incorrect approach.

All symbols must be interpreted within the context of the time and place where the symbol was used, not in the context of the time and place where it was first created.

Gustav, I find your accusation that I indulge myself in troll-like behaviour to be on the one hand quite offensive, but on the other hand rather laughable, so in the final analysis I'm inclined to simply dismiss these comments. I understand that your misinterpretation of my initial comment in post #26 was not to your liking, so I'll take your unworthy comment as payback. Game over.

However, in respect of direct questions, a direct question is in my experience the only way to get a direct answer, and both the direct question, and its corresponding answer will usually give a clear understanding of the level of knowledge of both the questioner and the person who provides the response.

This is the reason that the traditional way in which keris knowledge is taught in Jawa is by the student asking the teacher a question, and teacher providing a response that is at a level with the present understanding of his pupil, as demonstrated by the question.

An answer will always be given, but just as a professor of nuclear science will tailor his answer to suit a questioner in kindergarten, as opposed to a PhD. candidate, so the teacher of keris knowledge will tailor his answer in accordance with the level of knowledge of his questioner.

In other words it is unwise to to try to teach children who do not yet know their ABC, the intricacies of Elizabethan literature.

When I ask questions in respect of the keris it is probably true to say that I do it for either one of two reasons:-

1) because I want to know something I do not know
2) to try to make others think

Yes, I do know several people who carve keris hilts, but the people I know are all based in Solo, and they work only in Solonese styles, they do not work in the figural styles found in East Jawa, North Coast Jawa, Bali, or Sumatera.

In fact, in my experience the traditional artisans of Jawa are totally uninterested in the opinions of people outside their own personal circle of acquaintances, and even then what opinions even their own acquaintances may voice, they find to be irrelevant:- "my family has always done it this way, I'll continue to do it this way."

Actually, all the people I know who carve hilts do not own computers, do not understand how to use the internet, and in most cases are only marginally literate. Their language is Javanese, when they use Bahasa Indonesia they are very limited and tend to use it mixed with the local dialect, they most certainly have no understanding of English at all.

There is a cottage industry, in Sumenep mostly, that produces modern copies of old styles, but Blind Freddy can see the difference between these productions and genuinely old hilts.

Intentional fakery at a production level is very, very rare in the World of the Keris, and when it does occur it is almost invariably directed at the local Indonesian market, and for much bigger money than any buyer outside Indonesia would ever be willing to pay.

Material?
To me, of no interest and not really worthy of discussion. This rhino horn thing has been discussed to death, long before this thread began.

To me, the true value of this present discussion has been in the other matters that we have discussed.
Old 21st April 2016, 09:00 PM   #29
Gustav

Alan, thank you very much for your response.

I will try to answer your questions, but I will need some time to go through some books.

Please be gentle afterwards.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:20 AM   #30
Gustav

Perhaps we (because it should be a discussion between many people in the ideal case) should start with the typical ornaments found on Bungkul of 16th/17th cent. hilts depicting naked figures of what is commonly called demonic character. These are my observations, I will try to be as exact as possible:

There are four upright triangular elements, dominating in size. The forward and the rear are mostly nearly identical to each other, as are the right and left ones.

The forward and rear consist of an elongated oval mirror, which sometimes is further partitioned, like on the initial hilt of this thread. There are tendrils on both sides of this mirror and above. So these two triangular elements are symmetrical in themselves.

The right and the left consist mostly of an bigger scroll (which in its size dominates the triangular element like the mirror the other pair). The second one, curving to the opposite direction is placed beside, sometimes the place for it is to small and it stays underdeveloped. From the top of the bigger scroll another smaller one in opposite direction is spouting/growing. So these "side triangles" are perhaps symmetrical in thought, yet not in the execution.

Above/between the upright triangles smaller downright ones are placed, and these consist mostly of tendrils with one more prominent scroll often more clearly distinguishable.

In the deep cuts between the upright and downright triangular elements sometimes more clearly the four edges of a cubic structure are visible.

This is the standard situation, which may slightly vary from hilt to hilt.

Now to the possible symbolic content of these features, at first the forward and rear triangles. This is the part, where I can only speculate and list the possibilities I am aware of.

The upright triangle as form could be expression of Gunungan and/or Kalpataru (the divine three). If together with the oval mirror in it, the range of interpretations widens. Then it could depict a Lotus plant with the blossom in the middle, which as whole can sometimes also be seen as a substitute for the divine tree. Important - Lotus as the base of a figure - the earliest clear depiction of a Mendak is a Lotus (on statue of Bhima/Kertolo in Museum Nasional). Lotus symbolizes the purity of divine descent, symbol of creativity and fertility, which leads to the understanding of the blossom (oval mirror) as Yoni and depiction as female genitals (the male genitals are that of the naked figure, they are placed exactly over the mirror. They sometimes have distinguishable Palang balls and do clearly belong to the shivaitic context. If you wish - when Keris is held in the hand, the Lingga is in the upright position pointing to Yoni (activated so to speak)). One more symbolic layer for the mirror is that of depiction of a Bintulu. Bintulu are often found at the base of East Javanese bronze figures, and have protective function. This all was always more or less clear.

Now to the right and left upright triangles. There are two possibilities:

1) the main element could be the bigger scrolll/tendril (which in size corresponds to the oval mirror)

2) we have the same three branches composition, which is distorted by the legs of the naked figure and becomes asymmetrical.

My thoughts to the first possibility: upright or downright scrolls are often prominent in gateways (Naga Temple in Blitar, 14th cent. or even more appropriate, gateway of mosque in Sendang Duwur, 16th cent.), and the source of this feature most probably is Makara. Together with the oval mirror in the middle of them, interpreted as Bintulu, it could be understand as a repercussion of Kala-Bintulu arch found at gateways of temples (and even schematically depicted on earliest Sunggingans as framing of water sources).

The second possibility - there is a depiction of the divine tree in van der Hoop, plate CXXXI. This is an asymmetrical Cirebon interpretation, and is quite close in general style to the triangles in question.

Well, time to sleep. It will be continued.

Last edited by Gustav; 22nd April 2016 at 10:23 AM.