Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2005, 02:03 AM   #1
Pusaka

Default Majaphit spear tip, the one that got away

Well we all have a story about the one that got away, this is mine.
There was a museum in America, I forget which one but they sold this Majapahit spear tip. It used to be on display in the Museum. Anyway the seller who acquired it had it for ages and was having difficulty selling it, cant think why! Eventually they sold it on. I just missed it by a few days. What a beauty, I never seen a Majaphit spear tip like it since. I still cry over this one
Attached Images

Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 02:39 AM   #2
Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
There was a museum in America, I forget which one but they sold this Majapahit spear tip. It used to be on display in the Museum. Anyway the seller who acquired it had it for ages and was having difficulty selling it, cant think why! Eventually they sold it on. I just missed it by a few days. What a beauty, I never seen a Majaphit spear tip like it since. I still cry over this one
Hi Pusaka,
I see any twin Puthut (Jawa = Puthut Kembar) at up side of this spear and the Twin Dragon (Jawa = Naga Kembar) at the bottom side (Sorsoran). I never seen or heard before that any OLD Keris or OLD Spear which has both of Naga Kembar and Puthut Kembar on one piece. Both of it has a different histories.
So, the spear like this can be called as KALAWIJAN.
For comparison : http://gallerykeris.fotopic.net/p24159798.html
This Trisula made about 1960's - 1970's from Aeng Tong-Tong Madura island.
I more like if this spears told as it was.

I really don't know how the Maduranese Spears which made about 1960's - 1980's can changed to be a Majapahit Spears
Did you has know
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 04:57 AM   #3
nechesh

Nice story Pusaka, thanks for the chuckle.
By the way, what forum did you "borrow" this photograph from?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Nice story Pusaka, thanks for the chuckle.
By the way, what forum did you "borrow" this photograph from?
The photo was from the sellers website, I kept the photo. I don’t remember what web site it’s from, It was a good while back now.
Old 30th December 2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans
Hi Pusaka,
I see any twin Puthut (Jawa = Puthut Kembar) at up side of this spear and the Twin Dragon (Jawa = Naga Kembar) at the bottom side (Sorsoran). I never seen or heard before that any OLD Keris or OLD Spear which has both of Naga Kembar and Puthut Kembar on one piece. Both of it has a different histories.
So, the spear like this can be called as KALAWIJAN.
For comparison : http://gallerykeris.fotopic.net/p24159798.html
This Trisula made about 1960's - 1970's from Aeng Tong-Tong Madura island.
I more like if this spears told as it was.

I really don't know how the Maduranese Spears which made about 1960's - 1980's can changed to be a Majapahit Spears
Did you has know
Maybe it’s not typical but remember it was in a well known museum displayed for years so I would think that the museum directors would have ensured its authenticity.
Old 30th December 2005, 03:01 PM   #6
nechesh

Pusaka, what museum was this supposed to have been in? Did this information come from the museum itself or the guy trying to sell the spear? Two points i'd like to drive home here:
1. Sellers have been known to lie inorder to get high prices for low value items.
2. Yes, museums, even good museums can and have been wrong about all kinds of things that have been in their collections for years. This is especially easy in the field of ethnographic edged weapons and especially especially easy when it comes to weapons of Indonesia. The fact is that there are very, very, very few people who can be considered "experts" on these weapons, even in Indonesia itself where the larger part of the population have, for better or worse, but this aspect of their heritage behind themselves. So even if the seller wasn't tell you a fish story this doesn't mean that the museum didn't have it completely wrong. If i were you i would consider youself luck you were late getting to this auction.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 03:34 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

REGARDLESS OF ALL THE STORYS AND POSSIBLE INCORRECT INFORMATION IT IS A VERY COOL LOOKING SPEAR TIP THE WORKMANSHIP ON THE TRISTULA IS ALSO VERY NICELY DONE, I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL VERY NICE ORNATE INDONESIAN SPEAR POINTS AT THE SHOW IN TIMONIUM, ARE THEY MOSTLY MADE IN MADURA OR ARE THEY ALSO MADE IN JAVA, BALI AND OTHER AREAS?
I HAVE A EXAMPLE THAT I GOT ON AMBON ISLAND IN THE MOLUCCAS IT IS SAID TO HAVE BELONGED TO THE RAJAH NAULU OF CERAM. I WILL TRY AND FIND IT AND TAKE A PICTURE. I DON'T KNOW IF THE STORY IS TRUE OR NOT BUT IT IS A NICE ITEM AND I HAD FUN BARGINING FOR IT ,BUT THAT IS ANOTHER STORY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes this is a beautiful puppy (woof! ). I have seen a couple of these at Timonium and other places. My question is similar to those of you who have posted earlier: how can one tell if it is Majapahit or recent?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Mans

Quote:
2. Yes, museums, even good museums can and have been wrong about all kinds of things that have been in their collections for years. This is especially easy in the field of ethnographic edged weapons and especially easy when it comes to weapons of Indonesia. The fact is that there are very, very, very few people who can be considered "experts" on these weapons, even in Indonesia itself where the larger part of the population have, for better or worse, but this aspect of their heritage behind themselves.
Absolutely right !!
To estimate where the keris or spears come and when it made (Jawa = Tangguh), we must knew about the iron. It just go back to the purpose of TOSAN AJI. Tosan mean Iron, and AJI mean Magical power (Tuah). So, first thing which we much know is an iron it self. How the iron fibrous, try to know the forge technique. Then we must know well about the styles the blade and ricikans ect.
Here I posted the example of the iron spear and keris from Majapahit period.
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Pusaka

On the subject of Majaphit has anyone got any idea what this object was used for what a strange looking object!

http://www.indonetwork.co.id/JogjaMedianet/111559
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2005, 06:20 PM   #11
Pusaka

Ha-ha I think I just worked it out
Old 30th December 2005, 06:43 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Easier to look at it in the proper orientation .
Looks like a wayang figural tombak with a Balinese Ganesha ukiran .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:57 AM   #13
BluErf

Quote:
2. Yes, museums, even good museums can and have been wrong about all kinds of things that have been in their collections for years.
Maybe the museum found out and wanted to get rid of the spear head.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Easier to look at it in the proper orientation.
Like a psychology test
Old 6th January 2006, 07:59 PM   #15
cerulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Easier to look at it in the proper orientation .
Looks like a wayang figural tombak with a Balinese Ganesha ukiran .
I thought it was some kind of scary mask until it was turned right side up. Yes… I’m insane.
cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote