Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th April 2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Talibong from Baltimore

no, not originally. i think this particular one is from Samar/Leyte area, but what is so unusual is pretty much just about everything. Initially, it looks like a Talibong, based on the scabbard, but looking closely, it's not quite what it seems to be. the handle design is totally different from your typical talibong, or garab, but then again the carvings are typical from that those islands. The blade is more of a western Visayan style, very balance. the scabbard is totally unique, in that it's thru and thru garab style, all the way to the "eye" by the toe. the toe itself is unusual in shape; it looks more like an arabian shoe.

this particular piece was on eBay a couple months back. really regretted not putting a bid on it. when i saw it in Baltimore, it was my second chance.

enjoy!
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 08:02 AM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Ron,

Congrats, nice grab!

Quote:
i think this particular one is from Samar/Leyte area, but what is so unusual is pretty much just about everything. Initially, it looks like a Talibong, based on the scabbard, but looking closely, it's not quite what it seems to be. the handle design is totally different from your typical talibong, or garab, but then again the carvings are typical from that those islands. The blade is more of a western Visayan style, very balance. the scabbard is totally unique, in that it's thru and thru garab style, all the way to the "eye" by the toe. the toe itself is unusual in shape; it looks more like an arabian shoe.
Since the Waray scabbard is obviously made for the blade, I'd believe that the blade is also Waray (the balance feeling more usual due to the straight blade).

The hilt and guard were apparently commissioned by someone inspired by Spanish influence (via Luzon or western Visayas); this may also be the reason for the straight blade shape. Maybe a local Waray colonial official/dignitary (eastern Leyte?) or Waray expat in western Leyte?

The carving at the scabbard tip seems unusual and might help to narrow down its origin. Except for the rather nondescript crenelations and basic geometric motifs, I don't recognize specific Waray design motifs at the hilt, do you?

BTW, is the rear of the guard fixed by a nail or is it a full tang construction?

I'm adding a pic of another odd Waray blade that I acquired recently. Again with original Waray scabbard (with a somewhat similarly curved tip); the weird bone hilt might well be a later replacement though.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 01:47 PM   #3
drac2k

It truly is a wonderful piece; when I held it in Baltimore I was impressed by the weight and the balance.
I was also intrigued by the remnant of the Khaki cloth; was it actually a belt or was it talismanic?If it is a belt, could we assume that this was for a paramilitary group and thus a Katipunan sword? I have seen many Philippine Revolutionary swords with the same "D-guard," configurations; the Japanese would put family swords in military mounts, so why would it be impossible to think of the possibility of taking a garab or a talibong and doing the same in the Philippines?
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Ron,

very nice Waray talibon, I've noticed it when it was listed by ebay but sadly I haven't had looked really the pictures, otherwise I would have bought it!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote