Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th May 2018, 03:07 PM   #31
rickystl

Hi Kubur

Thanks for the pics. That's a nice Tanchika with lots of open work brass decoration.
Under magnafication, I can see that there was indeed some type of decorative bead or other in the holes. Strange they are missing considering the condition of the gun.
I think the red colored beads would look best, and be appropriate. So I'm going that route. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for the pics. Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:16 PM   #32
Philip

Smile something to crow about

CONGRATS, RICK !! This is as close to being an out-and-out "screamer" as they come. I like the exceptional work on the lock, and the precision of decoration on substantial fittings. Welcome relief from the run-of-the-mill half-hearted fit and finish on most Balkan guns on the market today. You did very well on this. It looks clean enough to shoot! (at least to fire a blank salute on Skanderbeg's birthday.) Have you checked the bore
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:23 PM   #33
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
CONGRATS, RICK !! This is as close to being an out-and-out "screamer" as they come. I like the exceptional work on the lock, and the precision of decoration on substantial fittings. Welcome relief from the run-of-the-mill half-hearted fit and finish on most Balkan guns on the market today. You did very well on this. It looks clean enough to shoot! (at least to fire a blank salute on Skanderbeg's birthday.) Have you checked the bore
Hi Philip

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Yes, I think she is a beauty. Best one I've seen. Not only from a quality standpoint, but the condition looks like it's never been used. I'm confident it would be in good firing condition as is. Of course, I won't shoot this one.
I have not yet had the chance to really inspect the bore or dis-assemble it. But will do so soon. As mentioned, I want to clean the bottom of the barrel and re-post it here to get an idea of the damascus. It looks like a complex pattern, but my knowledge is too limited. I did find the the right size red beads. It's 3MM. I broke one in half and just set it in the hole to see how it looked. Looked and fit perfectly. Thanks again.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:07 PM   #34
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Philip

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Yes, I think she is a beauty. Best one I've seen. Not only from a quality standpoint, but the condition looks like it's never been used. I'm confident it would be in good firing condition as is. Of course, I won't shoot this one.
I have not yet had the chance to really inspect the bore or dis-assemble it. But will do so soon. As mentioned, I want to clean the bottom of the barrel and re-post it here to get an idea of the damascus. It looks like a complex pattern, but my knowledge is too limited. I did find the the right size red beads. It's 3MM. I broke one in half and just set it in the hole to see how it looked. Looked and fit perfectly. Thanks again.

Rick
Hi Rick,
I had meant to comment on this before, but somehow forgot.
Not to detract in any way from the beauty and quality of this Tanchika, but I notice that the screw slots appear to be burred over which suggests that they have been removed many times OR some idiot has carelessly forced them with an ordinary screwdriver.(One should ALWAYS used a HOLLOW GROUND screwdriver on gun screws to avoid this happening...........)
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote