Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th May 2007, 07:35 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default I n s c r i p t i o n -- in keris

Dear All,

These are some copies of "Inscription Topics" from Pangeran Datu. I copy it for you all, to be discused...

Ganjawulung

(This is the Topics)
PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Gonjo and kerislovers,

may i ask some thing?
did you face "a situation" that after having "a certain keris" your collection increased exponentially?

to kerislovers, i ask the same question. please answer.

thank you

Usman

Amww

Hi Rd. U. Djogja,

The short answer to your question is: 'YES'.

Probably because as part of the family heirloom we have one with the inscription: 'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' (in Arabic script) and another with the inscription:' na twah ram pes dina urang agamaning pare' (in Caraka script).

Strange coincidence, but just before I came online, I got a phone call from a friend who told me that there's a man in Bali who thinks that I may be interested in having his family heirloom as he can't look after it.

As for the word 'kalawija':
It comes from the word kala=time and wija=seed i.e. time for planting seed.
There is another word:'PALAwija', from phala=fruit. In some regions, one or the other is used, while in others, they are used interchangeably.
Palawija is the term used for plants grown on the earth embankments/partitions of paddy fields/fishponds.
At rice-seedling planting time, whatever other 'fruit'-bearing seeds available are planted both to secure the earthenworks and to maximise yield.
Both words are derived from an agrarian society predisposed to symbolism, usually in its simplest form i.e. relating to their everyday life/universe.

So, Kalawija/Palawija refers to something which is not the staple/norm.

Well, that's my input, for what it's worth.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Amww

DAVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
Probably because as part of the family heirloom we have one with the inscription: 'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' (in Arabic script) and another with the inscription:' na twah ram pes dina urang agamaning pare' (in Caraka script).

Sorry Pangeran, but that is completely meaningless to ignorant Americans such as myself who don't speak these languages.
Care to translate.

ALAM SHAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
... but that is completely meaningless to ignorant Americans such as myself who don't speak these languages.
Care to translate.

'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' means 'religion is not something to be forced'. The other one have the same meaning in Caraka script, (Old Javanese), me think.

Pangeran Datu, does the caraka script looks like this?

Attached Images
Attached Images

RADEN USMAN DJOGJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
Amww

Hi Rd. U. Djogja,

The short answer to your question is: 'YES'.

Amww

Pangeran datu,

I also have a tombak where there is an inscription in its methuk. Perhaps, I will upload it. Is it better if I upload it by opening new thread "Inscription in wesi aji"? So, we can focus this thread on Kalawija.

Usman

PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' means 'religion is not something to be forced'. The other one have the same meaning in Caraka script, (Old Javanese), me think.

Pangeran Datu, does the caraka script looks like this?

Hi Alam Shah and David,

You are correct, of course, about the Arabic script. The implication being that, one must feel 'freed' by religion rather than be enslaved/oppressed by it.
Good guess on the second one! It actually means: Thus it is, that human behaviour/character should follow the wisdom of the rice plant.
Finally, look at the attached sample of Caraka and judge for yourself.

Cheers.
Attached Images

PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Pangeran datu,

I also have a tombak where there is an inscription in its methuk. Perhaps, I will upload it. Is it better if I upload it by opening new thread "Inscription in wesi aji"? So, we can focus this thread on Kalawija.

Usman

Amww

Hello Rd. U. Djogja,

I have no problem with that. However, I would wait a bit first, to see what level of response is generated before opening a new thread. Besides, there is already a thread about keris+spirit.
IMVHO, paranormal aspects of an object should be classified in the same category. In my experience, most inscriptions on genuine articles (not tourist white elephants) are designed to evoke/invoke/maintain some paranormal energy/activity.
Anyway, if the situation becomes such that it requires a separate thread, I'm sure our kind and generous Moderators will gladly oblige by transferring everything to a new one.
For the time being, perhaps we can prevail upon Ganjawulung's kindness and get him to edit the title of his original post, changing it to: The Kalawija/Palawija.

Cheers.
Amww
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote