Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th June 2023, 08:30 PM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Two Philippines blades with similar profiles - “Sinuwak”?

Posting these for comment. One old knife I’ve always referred to as a tenegre. Figural hilt in good condition, I assume it’s wood as there’s no insect damage? Brass ferrule, thick blade with minimal damage, elongated clip point profile. Wood scabbard with upper part covered in hide. Part of the scabbard retains the thin horn covering (I thought this was turtle shell but see others have ID’d it as buffalo horn).

Second is very similar but recently made in last 6-8 years. Was imported by Kris Cutlery (RIP!) and purchased on electronic bay. Seller described it as a “Sinuwak”. It’s similar to the old forum photo (attached) I found when I searched the forum. I noticed it has a similar blade shape, ferrule, and scabbard as the older tenegre. Honestly it’s probably my favorite contemporary, utilitarian piece even though it hardly cost anything.

So, does the term “Sinuwak” mean anything, and is there a relationship between the two swords? A web search returns a lot of examples of this knife from Badiangan, Iloilo.

Lastly, I may try to do some work on the tenegre. Could the blade be a candidate for etching?
Attached Images

wildwolberine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2023, 02:04 PM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolberine View Post
Posting these for comment. One old knife I’ve always referred to as a tenegre. Figural hilt in good condition, I assume it’s wood as there’s no insect damage? Brass ferrule, thick blade with minimal damage, elongated clip point profile. Wood scabbard with upper part covered in hide. Part of the scabbard retains the thin horn covering (I thought this was turtle shell but see others have ID’d it as buffalo horn).

Second is very similar but recently made in last 6-8 years. Was imported by Kris Cutlery (RIP!) and purchased on electronic bay. Seller described it as a “Sinuwak”. It’s similar to the old forum photo (attached) I found when I searched the forum. I noticed it has a similar blade shape, ferrule, and scabbard as the older tenegre. Honestly it’s probably my favorite contemporary, utilitarian piece even though it hardly cost anything.

So, does the term “Sinuwak” mean anything, and is there a relationship between the two swords? A web search returns a lot of examples of this knife from Badiangan, Iloilo.

Lastly, I may try to do some work on the tenegre. Could the blade be a candidate for etching?
Halloo,

The antique sword is a tenegre with a sinuwak blade profile (refers to clip-point). It's my favorite blade profile for Panay blades. The term may vary as the location changes (Panay is a big island with four provinces) but that's the proper term for it in Iloilo province. I think that's still carabao horn; some of them were treated or just somehow escape insect damage (I've had at least 3 tenegre figurals, all carabao horn, which didn't get attacked by insects).

So yeah the two swords are related, although if I'm not mistaken, the modern version you have is geared towards utility (and not fighting anymore).
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2023, 05:39 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I agree with Xasterix. You will find that names vary from place to place, even on a single island. I would have referred to these as tenegre as well, but i believe Xasterix is correct that the name "sinuwak" refers to the blade profile as named specifically in the Iloilo Province. It's possible you will find other names for this same profile elsewhere. And you will find that not all tenegre use this clip point profile. But i believe it would also be correct to refer to your newer blade as a tenegre.
I have one example of this style tenegre, produced at the end of WWII to commemorate the victory. Despite it's commemorative intention it is a fearsome fighter.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Sajen

Look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=tenegre for further information.

Nice tenegre!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2023, 12:58 PM   #5
wildwolberine

Thanks Sajen, David & Xasterix for your input!
wildwolberine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolo, iloilo, philippines, sinuwak, tenegre