Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2014, 09:08 AM   #1
russel

Default My latest Gunong

Not to be outdone by Detlef, I thought I would show off the most recent addition to my small Gunong collection.

This one is rather basic, but very functional. Blade is 19cm long and 6.6mm thick! I imagine this one would date around 1920-30.

All comments welcome.
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Sajen

Congrats Russel,

nice one and agree with you about the age! Nice cleaning job you have done! And it seems that you have etched the blade, I see a nice lamination in the blade! Scabbard seems of later date as the dagger.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Russel, Very nice basic knife. I like these very much. I have a question on the blade, is the upper edge of the blade sharpened from the tip all the way to the guard or is there a flat area starting at the guard and extending forward an inch or so? Again, a very nice catch.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 09:28 PM   #4
russel

Thanks guys, I'm very pleased with it. Despite (the ever more frequent) exhorbitant postal charges from the US, it was still a bargain. I found it buried in the bowels of a non-weapon related eBay category (I love the hunt)

Detlef, the condition is how I received it from the seller. Someone did a reasonable polishing job without doing any damage (which is a surprise) although the brass is over cleaned IMO. I have not etched the blade yet (still practising my technique on lesser items) but it does show signs of lamination. I will etch it and a few others when I am confident not to make any serious mistakes!

Robert, yes the blade has a proximal-dorsal flattened spine (around 3-4cm). I have attached an image of it (at top) with two other similarly shaped blades. I have been pondering on this flattened section of blade for a while: could it's relative size be an indicator of age? I have a feeling that for earlier Gunong this section is quite long (on my oldest it is 7-8cm), reducing to non-existence post WWII. Just a wild thought from a novice.

Thanks again,
Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I have a question on the blade, is the upper edge of the blade sharpened from the tip all the way to the guard or is there a flat area starting at the guard and extending forward an inch or so?
Hello Robert,

I remember now that you have asked a similar question in an other thread before. The only one I have seen and handled until now with a blade where the upper edge of the blade sharpened from the tip all the way to the guard is the one I've shown in this thread post #7: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong

Russel, I am unsure that this can be taken as time indicator also when this would confirm it in this case. I think we would need to see more examples to be sure about this.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 28th October 2014, 10:40 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Detlef, the condition is how I received it from the seller. Someone did a reasonable polishing job without doing any damage (which is a surprise) although the brass is over cleaned IMO.
Russel, nice condition and for my taste is the brass not overcleaned. But when you don't clean it again it will become dull after a year or so again.

Regards,
Detlef