Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st October 2005, 04:51 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Default Iraq Dagger

Hello All!

I just bought this off Therion-Arms, although it is described as berber I think it is Iraqi it looks similer to Marsh arab daggers. Comments are welcome!

Mark...

http://www.therionarms.com/antiques/...arms_c731.html
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hello Mark, it has got that look but could also be from many other places like the horn of Africa, Yemin and so on. Nice shapes, is the handle brass? Looks like a good quality blade. Nice! Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Aurangzeb

Hello Tim!

Yes the handle is brass, and apperars to be good quality.

Mark...
Old 1st October 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
TVV

Aurangzeb, the question about the origin of this type of daggers is one whose answer I would also like to know, and I will surely be visiting this thread often. You are quite right that the shape of the blade is indeed quite similar to the shape of the blades on Marsh Arab daggers, yet Hal from Therion also has a strong point about North Africa due to the brass work and the decoration motives on the hilt. One of the many great things about this forum is that newbies such as us could hope to find answers to questions about the origin of weapons such as this one, and I am sure someone here will know with certainty where this particular dagger came from. All I know is that I have seen at least several other examples from this type, so it must be a type of its own.
Wherever it turns out to be from, congratulations on a nice dagger that has the specific charm of old plain weapons, which may lack in decoration but were meant for serious use.
Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Looking again and I think you are right that it is not Berber but I do not think that it is marsh Arab though I can see why you might think so. I have a couple in the attic which I shall get down and post tomorrow. I question Berber and marsh Arab origin because the curved blade is made with an angle rather than a sweeping curve. This is seen most commonly in the horn of Africa a vast region and the Yemen. Personally I would say it was from the countries that make up the horn rather than Yemen. Tim

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 1st October 2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2nd October 2005, 05:49 AM   #6
Aurangzeb

Hello Tim!

I have never seen any curved daggers from the horn, this will be my first. I thought it was just a very crude Iraqi dagger.

Mark...
Old 2nd October 2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

I do not know for sure, it is just a feeling. The decoration just does not strick me as Arab. Tim
Old 2nd October 2005, 04:34 PM   #8
Aurangzeb

Hello Tim!

You do have a point about the 'X' symbols on the handle but I have seen geometric paterns on arab/mid-eastern weapons before. The end of the handle reminds me of the end on the daggers of south Iraq, only cruder than normal. I have posted a link to a dagger that used to be on Oriental arms that shows some resmblence to the blade shape on the one I just bought.

Mark...

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=184
Old 5th October 2005, 01:20 AM   #9
Aurangzeb

Does this mean that nobody knows for sure where this mystery dagger came from?
Old 5th October 2005, 02:49 PM   #10
Justin

Personally I have seen a few of these over the last year or so and I had assumed that they were shibriya variants,I have a shibriya in my collection that has a blade with the same curve instead of a recurve.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 05:26 PM   #11
Aurangzeb

Hello Justin!

Interesting, I never even thought of a shabriya varient but now that you mention it the hilt does look like one.

Mark...
Old 6th October 2005, 12:09 AM   #12
Justin

Ill see if I can get pics of my single curve shibriya up for comparison.
Old 6th October 2005, 03:18 AM   #13
Aurangzeb

Thankyou Justin that whould be much appreciated!
Old 7th October 2005, 07:10 PM   #14
Aurangzeb

Just a thought maybe it is african perhaps Libya for it shows both african and middle eastern influences, I am probably wrong. I got it today and it has both a Iraqi and North African feel to it, odd? Maybe Artzi whould know?

Mark...

Last edited by Aurangzeb; 8th October 2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 9th October 2005, 02:36 PM   #15
Justin

Im also looking forward to what Artzi would have to say about these,they dont seem to make knives in that part of the world that he doesnt know about.

As promised heres the shibria that has the single curved blade:
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2005, 09:22 PM   #16
Aurangzeb

Hello Justin!

It does look similer to the single curve one the system of attaching the hilt with metal pegs is very similer. And the use of geometric patterns on the sheath of your single curve. Heres hoping that Artzi will notice this thread. This dagger is a mystery jambiya or varient, can't seem to get it even pinned down to a continent, so far there is Iraq, Berber, horn of africa, Yemen , Libya, and shabriya varient. Confusing Thanks for the pictures its helping.

Mark...

Last edited by Aurangzeb; 10th October 2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10th October 2005, 05:07 AM   #17
Aurangzeb

Lightbulb

Hello All!

I just thought that I whould Clairify my earlier post about it might being libyan. The use of brass and ''X'' shapes on the hilt seems african but the shape of the blade seems arab, sice Libya was a tradeing hub I thoght it might be from there because it combines influieneces from both places. Just a thought. Iraq is my first guess but Libya is my second. Any comments on my new yheory is welcome!

Mark...
Old 10th October 2005, 01:33 PM   #18
Justin

I think North Africa is definately a possibility,they had a lot of 'Arab' influence especially in their weapons,but I still like my Shibriya theory .
Old 10th October 2005, 05:51 PM   #19
Aurangzeb

Hello Justin !

I like the shabriya theroy to, it places it closer to Iraq.
Old 11th October 2005, 10:59 PM   #20
Aurangzeb

I just noticed that the pommel looks a little like the type on a tebu dagger.
Old 12th October 2005, 10:48 PM   #21
Aurangzeb

Lightbulb

Now looking at it more closly it does appear to be a shabriya relative, perhaps this typ of shabriya comes from Iraq, is brass used on shabriya hilts?
Just a thought. This dagger is a mystery wrapped in an inigma!

Mark...
Old 13th October 2005, 10:47 PM   #22
Aurangzeb

Exclamation !Brake Though!

Hello All!

I was looking through some of the old Ebay links I saved into my computer and found one for a recurving shabriya with the same trianguler pommel and small metal ring like on mine, unfortunetly I forgot the link r elese I whould have posted it and with well over a hundred Ebay saves in my computer finding it wilkl be great amounts of trouble. Now that it is a shabriya that at least puts it on a continent and geograpical region, now to pin it to a country. Any guesses?

Mark...
Old 14th October 2005, 01:01 AM   #23
Justin

Cant help with pinning it to a country but,I have also seen the triangular pommel and the little pommel ring on shibriyas before,and yes they did use brass on them.I have a small and fairly new one that is covered{sheath and hilt} with sheet brass,not brass scales like this one though.....
Old 17th October 2005, 10:52 PM   #24
Aurangzeb

Perhaps it is from Jordan.
Old 30th October 2005, 10:30 PM   #25
Aurangzeb

I guess this daggers origen will remain a mystery? The use of brass and 'X' shapes still seems african. Perhaps Mali, a dagger made by locals in imatation of the arab jambiya/shbariya. HELP!
Old 31st October 2005, 03:02 AM   #26
Hal Siegel

Cool

Howdy folks, and thanks, Mark - I'm glad you like the dagger even though it's giving you headaches!

Here's a picture of the dagger in question:

My original (and current) estimation is northern African somewhere ... the Berber guesstimate was Tom Hyle's thoughts on the origin.

I don't think it's a shabriya variation, the blade shape is really quite jambaic, and even the most extremely curved of the sabriya (nice collection!) doesn't really come close to being the same.

As to Iraq and Marsh Arab - also, I think not. Their hilts are sort of triangularish as shown in Mark's new whatsit, but the Marsh daggers really have a more dart/arrowhead shape to them rather than the clearly defined triangle.

Here's a Marsh dagger shown along with a modern stainless-steel bladed repro:

The blade curve/shape of the Marsh jambiya is quite similar to the blade on Mark's Mystery, but I think the pommel shape rules out Iraq in specific - although now that I look at all of these pictures together I'm certainly willing to narrow down my estimation of "nothern Africa" to eastern northern Africa (ish!)
Hal Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 04:14 AM   #27
Aurangzeb

I think in the end it will be a glorious accomplishment to pin it ot a country. In my opinion the fact it has a crude feel to it as opposed to other nort african daggers which seem refined, and seems to be a crude imatation of arab jambiya's with some saharan-african influences like in Mali or Mauritania. One of the reasons I say Mali is the fact that Mali had strong arab ties during it's history but seems to use brass on a lot of there weapons.

Mark...
Old 31st October 2005, 10:05 PM   #28
Aurangzeb

Heres a link I foumd. Look at the dagger from mali half way down the page the desighns on the hilt are idententical, three lines then a "X".

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=west+africa

Mark...
Old 31st October 2005, 11:04 PM   #29
TVV

Wrong thread, please delete.

Last edited by TVV; 1st November 2005 at 12:21 AM.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 01:06 AM   #30
Aurangzeb

You must have missed it it's far down on the page.